Billionaire Opens Mansions to Homeless-Hawaii

Beyond Belief

Reaction score
HONOLULU (AP) -- Dorie-Ann Kahale and her five daughters moved from a homeless shelter to a mansion Thursday, courtesy of a Japanese real estate mogul who is handing over eight of his multimillion-dollar homes to low-income Native Hawaiian families.
Tears spilled down Kahale's cheeks as she accepted from billionaire Genshiro Kawamoto the key to a white, columned house with a circular driveway, a stone staircase and a deep porcelain bathtub. Her family will live there rent-free, but must pay utility bills.
"I'm shocked. I'm overwhelmed," Kahale said. "From the little box we had to what we have today."
Kawamoto, whose own eyes started
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/H/HOMELESS_MANSIONS?SITE=FLTAM&SECTION=US

Good for him!! Maybe other will think of proactive ways to help people get back on their feet.

From the article it sounds like the neighbors are *advertiser censored**holes..

BB the utilities will be a fortune. He also gave them 1,000$ and it reads like these mom's have jobs..

Pretty sad though.. 5 kids and homeless.. I wonder where the father (s) is (are) ?

If the father is alive he should rot in hell for not helping her IMO.

Yes the neighbors do sound like jerks! The Hawaiian people are so 'family' oriented and when we lived there for four years I can tell you that they always made us feel so welcome and happy that we were there enjoying and RESPECTING their island. If the neighbors don't like it they can move back to the mainland where they came from. More rich people should do what this man is doing for these less fortunate people. Look at people like Oprah and Trump I know they help out alot but in reality they have more money just sitting there then they will ever be able to use in their lifetime.

i worry about these poor people when the utility bills arrive and they cant afford to eat.

i want to think this fella has his heart in the right place, but he does have a history of kicking tenants out on very short notice.

wouldnt it have been more suitable to give them decent housing that they can afford to maintain? im sure this is very exciting, and i dont begrudge them that, i just worry about their future.

i worry about these poor people when the utility bills arrive and they cant afford to eat.

i want to think this fella has his heart in the right place, but he does have a history of kicking tenants out on very short notice.

wouldnt it have been more suitable to give them decent housing that they can afford to maintain? im sure this is very exciting, and i dont begrudge them that, i just worry about their future.
I agree Mira--why doesn't he just rent a bunch of decent reasonable housing for them, and he could help a lot more families.

His gesture, is maybe just for the fanfare; otherwise it doesn't make any sense to anyone--even the few families he is helping stay somewhere that they can't ever afford.

What a wonderful gesture! I get the sense that he wanted to provide homes for these people but also wanted to make sure they work for it- pay their own way, so to speak. If that is indeed what his intent is I think it's a good idea and he seems to be a pretty smart guy. However, I also wonder what will happen to these families when the Electric bill comes in.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washingtonsupersleuth
Back