909 users online (165 members and 744 guests)  


Websleuths News


Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 31
  1. #1

    Prejudice against gays..

    This article hit me hardly, It was a realistic look at society and how it treats gay people. It makes me sick that they are not given the same rights as everyone else and how people are so fine with making fun of gay people, older people, and fat people. The three categories it seems society feels its okay to make fun of.

    http://www.latimes.com/news/printedi...,4594749.story

    To me they are bullies and only make fun of other people so they feel better about their crappy lives, sorry for the rant but I just had to hear this junk again tonight and listen to the idiot who was talking and not say what I wanted to say because it was my husband's friend.

    I also wanted to say I dont know if this the right place but its just grating my nerves and I saw this article on yahoo tonight and this poor man had to die because of it.

    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070322/...ay_man_s_death

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    5,629
    Some people take until old age to learn tolerance, others never do.

    My mother, a true Southern lady, didn't believe her favorite "boys" at church were gay. Nor were her favorite shoe store owners who took care of her shoe purchases for many years. Well, Mother was finally convinced that her beloved young men friends were gay when one talked to her at length after his companion died of AIDS. She told me after careful reflection, she finally realized that they were gay, and decided to accept them. She then thought about all the wonderful things they had done for her over the years. They were still her friends and she loved them for who they were, not what they were. They were there for her when she needed help.

    By the way, she also shed her predjudice of Blacks at about the same time. Again, who called her to see if she needed anything while she recovered from her latest hip operation? If it wasn't her gay friends, it was the black members of our church. Strange how at 80 years old some people can shed their lifelong predjudices and embrace human differences, yet others grow more intolerant.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    2,916
    Quote Originally Posted by Autumn2004 View Post
    To me they are bullies and only make fun of other people so they feel better about their crappy lives


    How can someone beat up a 72-year-old who's minding his own business? I'll never understand why hating others is so - enjoyed is the only word I can think of - by some. You may not like or agree with how someone lives, but Larry Kramer is right -- the legislation is based in hate.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Florida's Treasure Coast
    Posts
    14,495
    Somehow I lived the first half of my life not knowing about gay lifestyles. I lived my school years never hearing the n word. As an adult I have worked with all walks of life, people became friends without any barriers. It saddens me when a group is publicly screaming "pay attention to us, your not fair to us". Then I lose "self" because i become one of their enemy, a white person, a straight person, an American. I don't like being abused like that. I am no one's enemy. I will definitely shy away from those screaming for attention.

    Just thoughts.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    808
    Has anyone noticed how youths are now tagging the phrase "no homo" to sentences that may have a homosexual connotation?

    The urban dictionary has an interesting page on it:

    http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=no+homo

    e.g. Hey, pass the nuts. No homo.

    I'm not sure if it betrays an underlying homophobia or if it's just a curious fad.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    16,021
    Quote Originally Posted by BarnGoddess View Post
    Some people take until old age to learn tolerance, others never do.

    My mother, a true Southern lady, didn't believe her favorite "boys" at church were gay. Nor were her favorite shoe store owners who took care of her shoe purchases for many years. Well, Mother was finally convinced that her beloved young men friends were gay when one talked to her at length after his companion died of AIDS. She told me after careful reflection, she finally realized that they were gay, and decided to accept them. She then thought about all the wonderful things they had done for her over the years. They were still her friends and she loved them for who they were, not what they were. They were there for her when she needed help.

    By the way, she also shed her predjudice of Blacks at about the same time. Again, who called her to see if she needed anything while she recovered from her latest hip operation? If it wasn't her gay friends, it was the black members of our church. Strange how at 80 years old some people can shed their lifelong predjudices and embrace human differences, yet others grow more intolerant.
    What a lovely story. Thanks for sharing that. I was raised by true Southern ladies, some of whom had similar epiphanies as your mother as they got older! It was a beautiful thing to behold.

    I have a belief that old, hateful, tired, divisive beliefs die out slowly over time - one way or another - and are replaced by healthy beliefs more suited to the unified race of mankind. It seems slow when measured by our hours and days, but it happens. Slowly but surely, it happens!
    I do not intend to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Palm Springs
    Posts
    19,111
    Quote Originally Posted by Beyond Belief View Post
    Somehow I lived the first half of my life not knowing about gay lifestyles. I lived my school years never hearing the n word. As an adult I have worked with all walks of life, people became friends without any barriers. It saddens me when a group is publicly screaming "pay attention to us, your not fair to us". Then I lose "self" because i become one of their enemy, a white person, a straight person, an American. I don't like being abused like that. I am no one's enemy. I will definitely shy away from those screaming for attention.

    Just thoughts.
    My, my, my! So what do you suggest for those who face legal discrimination and hatred? That they keep quiet so you don't "feel" abused when they speak out?

    Apparently, you have lived a very sheltered life. You have no idea what abuse is. Lucky you, I guess.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    2,842
    Quote Originally Posted by Beyond Belief View Post
    Somehow I lived the first half of my life not knowing about gay lifestyles. I lived my school years never hearing the n word. As an adult I have worked with all walks of life, people became friends without any barriers. It saddens me when a group is publicly screaming "pay attention to us, your not fair to us". Then I lose "self" because i become one of their enemy, a white person, a straight person, an American. I don't like being abused like that. I am no one's enemy. I will definitely shy away from those screaming for attention.

    Just thoughts.
    Beyond Belief, those who are discriminated against "don't like being abused like that" either. And correct me if I am wrong, but I think you are a woman. If women didn't stand up and scream "pay attention to us, your not fair to us," chances are you would not be PERMITTED to work. How fortunate for us women that people heard our pleas for equality and didn't "shy away" from us.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Palm Springs
    Posts
    19,111
    Quote Originally Posted by Masterj View Post
    Beyond Belief, those who are discriminated against "don't like being abused like that" either. And correct me if I am wrong, but I think you are a woman. If women didn't stand up and scream "pay attention to us, your not fair to us," chances are you would not be PERMITTED to work. How fortunate for us women that people heard our pleas for equality and didn't "shy away" from us.
    As usual, Masterj, your reply is more gracious than mine. Frankly, I am out of patience with that "blame the victim" crap.

    And these days, there's really no excuse for anyone not knowing that in that lovely world where gay people weren't mentioned, gay people were suffering mightily, often in prisons, mental institutions and hospitals.

    But back to Larry Kramer's editorial, it is ironic that Conservatives scream to high heaven over the supposed unfairness of the inheritance tax -- UNLESS the tax penalty is visited on gays.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    26,902
    Quote Originally Posted by Beyond Belief View Post
    Somehow I lived the first half of my life not knowing about gay lifestyles. I lived my school years never hearing the n word. As an adult I have worked with all walks of life, people became friends without any barriers. It saddens me when a group is publicly screaming "pay attention to us, your not fair to us". Then I lose "self" because i become one of their enemy, a white person, a straight person, an American. I don't like being abused like that. I am no one's enemy. I will definitely shy away from those screaming for attention.

    Just thoughts.


    Women fought for the right to vote.
    Blacks fought for equal rights.
    Women fought for the right to choose what they can do with their own bodies (i.e., Roe v. Wade).

    I'm sure there are so many more instances that I've omitted, but I think you get the point. Americans have the right to peacefully protest any number of different issues. How any one person can say these protests is "abuse" is beyond my comprehension. Perhaps you can explain this to me. It also seems to me that if you're not in favor of equal rights, etc., its easy enough to turn your back and ignore it, but "screaming for attention" is a God given right that us Americans have. While I cannot speak for each person whose protested these injustices, something tells me that they weren't aimed at you personally, so please don't take it personally.

    P.S., the fact that you lived the first half of your life not knowing about the "gay lifestyle," tells me that its not been so "in your face."


  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Palm Springs
    Posts
    19,111
    For the record and in case anyone cares, Larry Kramer is known for taking the gay community to task at least as often as he criticizes society at large.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    17,715
    Quote Originally Posted by Beyond Belief View Post
    Somehow I lived the first half of my life not knowing about gay lifestyles. I lived my school years never hearing the n word. As an adult I have worked with all walks of life, people became friends without any barriers. It saddens me when a group is publicly screaming "pay attention to us, your not fair to us". Then I lose "self" because i become one of their enemy, a white person, a straight person, an American. I don't like being abused like that. I am no one's enemy. I will definitely shy away from those screaming for attention.

    Just thoughts.
    Not only should we get up and scream and shout if our own rights are abridged as Americans; but we should scream and shout for our fellow Americans whom are not being treated fairly.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Florida's Treasure Coast
    Posts
    14,495
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeana (DP) View Post
    Women fought for the right to vote.
    Blacks fought for equal rights.
    Women fought for the right to choose what they can do with their own bodies (i.e., Roe v. Wade).

    I'm sure there are so many more instances that I've omitted, but I think you get the point. Americans have the right to peacefully protest any number of different issues. How any one person can say these protests is "abuse" is beyond my comprehension. Perhaps you can explain this to me. It also seems to me that if you're not in favor of equal rights, etc., its easy enough to turn your back and ignore it, but "screaming for attention" is a God given right that us Americans have. While I cannot speak for each person whose protested these injustices, something tells me that they weren't aimed at you personally, so please don't take it personally.

    P.S., the fact that you lived the first half of your life not knowing about the "gay lifestyle," tells me that its not been so "in your face."
    My best friend has been in a relationship with another woman since the middle 70's. Nothing changed, shes still my best friend since we were 4 years old, we're almost 60. LOL Is that what you mean by "in my face"?

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Palm Springs
    Posts
    19,111
    Quote Originally Posted by Beyond Belief View Post
    My best friend has been in a relationship with another woman since the middle 70's. Nothing changed, shes still my best friend since we were 4 years old, we're almost 60. LOL Is that what you mean by "in my face"?
    I believe the subject is political protest.

    Although I reacted strongly to your original post - obviously - I don't think anyone has accused you of homophobia.

    However, your apparent argument that minorities need to shut up so as not to aggravate the majority can be just as deadly as outright prejudice.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    16,021
    Quote Originally Posted by Beyond Belief View Post
    Somehow I lived the first half of my life not knowing about gay lifestyles. I lived my school years never hearing the n word. As an adult I have worked with all walks of life, people became friends without any barriers. It saddens me when a group is publicly screaming "pay attention to us, your not fair to us". Then I lose "self" because i become one of their enemy, a white person, a straight person, an American. I don't like being abused like that. I am no one's enemy. I will definitely shy away from those screaming for attention.

    Just thoughts.
    If a group of people who aren't being treated fairly are vocal about obtaining fairness, how is that abusive to you and how does that make you the enemy? I am trying to understand your vantage point.

    I am not gay, but when I hear gay people fighting for fairness, I don't feel like I am their enemy. And I surely don't feel abused.
    I do not intend to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast


Similar Threads

  1. Was Patsy prejudice against blacks?
    By Shanny in forum JonBenet Ramsey
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 03-25-2008, 09:08 AM
  2. DNA tests lead to new worries about racial prejudice
    By bnhall in forum Up to the Minute
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 11-17-2007, 09:00 PM