859 users online (177 members and 682 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Lesbian Asks Court to Ban Gay Adoptions

http://www.comcast.net/news/national...25/619191.html

ATLANTA - Sara Wheeler's life has become a contradiction. Once a proud lesbian, she's now a pariah in the gay community. Once in a committed relationship with a female partner, she's rethinking her sexuality.

And now she's doing something she once would have considered unthinkable _ arguing that gays don't have the legal right to adopt children.

much more at link.

Quote Originally Posted by angelmom View Post
    http://www.comcast.net/news/national...25/619191.html

ATLANTA - Sara Wheeler's life has become a contradiction. Once a proud lesbian, she's now a pariah in the gay community. Once in a committed relationship with a female partner, she's rethinking her sexuality.

And now she's doing something she once would have considered unthinkable _ arguing that gays don't have the legal right to adopt children.

much more at link.
    This has NOTHING to do with with this woman's sexual preferences, or Gay Rights.

She is taking a hot button issue and using it to deny visitation and a relationship with an innocent child.

Seems to me that once again the kid gets screwed over a parent's immaturity and pettiness.

And one gay person opposing gay adoptions doesn't mean anything any more than one heterosexual person opposing heterosexual adoptions means anything.

Quote Originally Posted by csds703 View Post
    This has NOTHING to do with with this woman's sexual preferences, or Gay Rights.

She is taking a hot button issue and using it to deny visitation and a relationship with an innocent child.

Seems to me that once again the kid gets screwed over a parent's immaturity and pettiness.

I, too, felt that she was using her "status" to manipulate the court system. But who am I to say? I just thought it was an interesting legal point. GA is a complex place to be homosexual. The state came very close to passing the amendment to ban gay marriage, but ATL has a large, open gay population.

Agreed!!!
    I think her actions and statements make it very clear she is not doing what is in the best interest of her child.
    Based upon that IMO the other women should have sole custody.

Quote Originally Posted by angelmom View Post
    I, too, felt that she was using her "status" to manipulate the court system. But who am I to say? I just thought it was an interesting legal point. GA is a complex place to be homosexual. The state came very close to passing the amendment to ban gay marriage, but ATL has a large, open gay population.
    Playing devil's advocate here...... Using her ridiculous argument, the next step would be to ban gay people from having children.

I get annoyed with this issue. Gay people should be allowed to marry, have children, etc etc.

With all of the REAL problems our society faces, it pisses me off that gay rights even has to be an issue.

IrishMist is offline You can't control the wind - but you can adjust your sails
    Doesn't matter. The Far Right will be quoting her, and using her as a poster-child for a long time to come, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by IrishMist View Post
    Doesn't matter. The Far Right will be quoting her, and using her as a poster-child for a long time to come, IMO.
    The only poster she should be used on is the one for parents who use the children as pawns when their relationship goes south.

Quote Originally Posted by accordn2me View Post
    The only poster she should be used on is the one for parents who use the children as pawns when their relationship goes south.
    I agree, but I don't think it will stop them.

Hey Irish!

As I said earlier...Aren't there more important issues that we can concentrate on rather than whether a gay couple adopts a child or not.

The thing that annoys me most about this, is that she seems to be manipulating the legal system. It was certainly okay for her partner to adopt her son when things were all peachy-keen in their relationship. But now, she's claiming her partner shouldn't have been able to adopt. Well..........can you just imagine the STINK she would have caused if her partner had been denied the right to adopt in the first place? You can't have it both ways, people!
    Step right up and see the Yakwoman! Only 25 cents a look!

Quote Originally Posted by Details View Post
    And one gay person opposing gay adoptions doesn't mean anything any more than one heterosexual person opposing heterosexual adoptions means anything.
    Not to you or me maybe. The media...totally different story.

Hey Irish!

As I said earlier...Aren't there more important issues that we can concentrate on rather than whether a gay couple adopts a child or not.
    Hi Csds!

I guess it depends on whether you are part of a couple trying to adopt. To them, and to the child(ren) that needs a loving home, I imagine it is a very important issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
    Not to you or me maybe. The media...totally different story.
    Not just the media, either. The groups that are against gays no matter what are going to latch onto this, and act like it's true for all gays instead of just seeing it for what it is.

Kinda like the Terri Schiavo/Right to Life groups.

To heck with facts, just push the agenda.

Hi Csds!

I guess it depends on whether you are part of a couple trying to adopt. To them, and to the child(ren) that needs a loving home, I imagine it is a very important issue.

My point is... The Far Right Groups makes these types of things big issues.
    For me, any responsible loving adult should be allowed to adopt a child. There are way too many children caught up in the system without enough households for them.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast