Dog Sized toad Found in Australia

Gozgals

Reaction score
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=629 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD colSpan=3>Dog-sized toad found in Australia

</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top width=416><!-- S BO --><!-- S IBYL --><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=416 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=bottom>By Phil Mercer
BBC News, Sydney

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
999999.gif

<!-- E IBYL -->
<!-- S IINC --><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=203 align=right border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=5>
o.gif
</TD><TD class=sibtbg>

inline_dashed_line.gif

Enlarge Image

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!-- E IINC --><!-- S SF -->A giant cane toad the size of a small dog and nicknamed Toadzilla has been captured in northern Australia.
Toadzilla is the biggest cane toad ever found in Australia's Northern Territory and weighs just under two pounds, according to an environmental group.
Environmentalists have been trying to stop the spread of the poisonous creatures across the country's tropics.
The toads were introduced from Hawaii in the 1930s in a failed attempt to control native cane beetles. <!-- E SF -->
Toadzilla was caught during a community hunt in Darwin. Residents have been urged to help stop the spread of this most unwelcome of pests.
<!-- S IIMA --><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=203 align=right border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>
_42731687_aus_darwin_mar07.gif

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!-- E IIMA -->
Environmental group FrogWatch, which organises hunts to destroy the toads, said the creature measured 20.5cm (8 inches) and weighed 861g (1.9lb).
"He is huge. I would hate to meet his big sister," said FrogWatch co-ordinator Graeme Sawyer.
Cane toads were first released in Queensland and have since marched in their millions across the country.
They are prolific breeders. Some estimates put their number as high as 200 million.
What is beyond doubt is their effect on the environment.
They have poisoned countless native animals, including crocodiles which have died after eating them. The population of some snakes, lizards and small marsupials have also suffered greatly. A Northern Territory MP once said the toads were such a menace that people should attack them with golf clubs to keep them at bay.<!-- E BO -->

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/6498137.stm

Gozgals

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

I had one in my garden here in Hawaii that I bet would have topped this one. Elmo had him cornered under the landscaping stones. He was so excited! Stupid me, I bent over and stuck my head down to see what it was and :eek: I thought it was a rabbit at first. It was huge. My boyfriend wouldn't come home from the golf course to capture it. I was so mad because it could kill Elmo. Anyway, we never found it again. I don't let Elmo outside without me now. So much for the fence we had installed...You can actually order products such as change purses made from cane toad skin....gross!

Okay, it is very big but what kind of dog are they comparing it to??:confused:

A small dog...chichauia (sp) maybe.....

A small dog...chichauia (sp) maybe.....

Thanks dingo. I was just wondering it looks more rabbit size to me than dog size... but then again I like BIG dogs.... like your Jake.

We,d be in trouble if the toad was the size of Jake.....but at least we,d hear them coming:D

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23
Back