960 users online (190 members and 770 guests)  

Websleuths News

Smile Dog Performs 'Heimlich' on Choking Owner

maybe this should go in the pet forum...

http://www.comcast.net/news/strange/...27/620909.html

Toby, a 2-year-old golden retriever, saw his owner choking on a piece of fruit and began jumping up and down on the woman's chest. The dog's owner believes the dog was trying to perform the Heimlich maneuver and saved her life.

Debbie Parkhurst, 45, of Calvert told the Cecil Whig she was eating an apple at her home Friday when a piece lodged in her throat. She attempted to perform the Heimlich maneuver on herself but it didn't work. After she began beating on her chest, she said Toby noticed and got involved.

"The next think I know, Toby's up on his hind feet and he's got his front paws on my shoulders," she recalled. "He pushed me to the ground, and once I was on my back, he began jumping up and down on my chest."

more at link...

Thats amazing!

Toby is even cleverer than the dog who rang 911 because that dog had been trained to do that.

* big pat for Toby!

I don't buy it. I love animals and I think they are smart - but I don't think she is being honest. Paw bruises?
    FUN... is a renewable resource!

I was skeptical until I saw my 6 month old Lab/Newfy mix learn how to box. The dog watched my son play a boxing game on his wii. When the game was finished the dog jumped up and started boxing my son in the chest -both paws going for a knock down.

Count me as a skeptic. But, I also believe in miracles, so maybe God worked through Toby!

Follow me on the Twitter! @EricDiesel1972

Deuteronomy 18:10-12 (KJV)

10 There shall not be found among you anyone who makes his son or his daughter pass through the fire, or one who practices witchcraft, or a soothsayer, or one who interprets omens, or a sorcerer, 11 or one who conjures spells, or a medium, or a spiritist, or one who calls up the dead. 12 For all who do these things are an abomination to the Lord. (KJV)

Follow me at my Biblical Blog: http://scripture-demystified.blogspot.com

Baruch ha Shem Adonai.

Quote Originally Posted by dmp View Post
    I was skeptical until I saw my 6 month old Lab/Newfy mix learn how to box. The dog watched my son play a boxing game on his wii. When the game was finished the dog jumped up and started boxing my son in the chest -both paws going for a knock down.
    What a cute story and Welcome to WS.

poco is offline A cat will blink when struck with a hammer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Knight View Post
    Count me as a skeptic. But, I also believe in miracles, so maybe God worked through Toby!

So often times it happens that we live our life in chains, and we never even know we have the key. ...Eagles, "Already Gone"

poco is offline A cat will blink when struck with a hammer.
    Quote Originally Posted by narlacat View Post
    Thats amazing!

Toby is even cleverer than the dog who rang 911 because that dog had been trained to do that.

* big pat for Toby!

NO WAY, impossible - his pads would hit all the keys at the same time. It's not like they have these pointy little fingers - of course, maybe she had the large key pad phone - lol.

So often times it happens that we live our life in chains, and we never even know we have the key. ...Eagles, "Already Gone"

Quote Originally Posted by poco View Post
    NO WAY, impossible - his pads would hit all the keys at the same time. It's not like they have these pointy little fingers - of course, maybe she had the large key pad phone - lol.
    There are phones with pretty big buttons. Also, some of them have buttons on the side that are speed dial for 911. So the dog would just have to push one button.

I believe it. But I'm kind of gullible.

timetravel is offline care giver of all stray and feral cats who come my way.
    I didn't read the link, but from what i heard on the radio news, toby himself was rescued from a dumpster as a puppy......

Thanks for the welcome Shelly. My guy is also a rescue so maybe good, no great, things to come!

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by poco View Post

It was true Poco- really, I forget where the article is- probably here in Bizarre news somewhere- muttley had been trained to press that button.

Poco here's the thread about the dog dialling 911, but the article wasnt available anymore but you can read what people said

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40499

From the posts it looks like Toby bit the cellphone to dial 911. He didn't use his paws. Still a tough job though.

I found a video clip of the report about the dog and the cell phone. It seems that the beagle was a service dog specially trained to hit a speed dial button for his diabetic owner.
    http://www.local6.com/video/9392417/index.html