Dog Performs 'Heimlich' on Choking Owner

angelmom

The love stays...forever in our hearts
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
maybe this should go in the pet forum...:)

http://www.comcast.net/news/strange/index.jsp?cat=STRANGE&fn=/2007/03/27/620909.html

Toby, a 2-year-old golden retriever, saw his owner choking on a piece of fruit and began jumping up and down on the woman's chest. The dog's owner believes the dog was trying to perform the Heimlich maneuver and saved her life.

Debbie Parkhurst, 45, of Calvert told the Cecil Whig she was eating an apple at her home Friday when a piece lodged in her throat. She attempted to perform the Heimlich maneuver on herself but it didn't work. After she began beating on her chest, she said Toby noticed and got involved.

"The next think I know, Toby's up on his hind feet and he's got his front paws on my shoulders," she recalled. "He pushed me to the ground, and once I was on my back, he began jumping up and down on my chest."

more at link...

Thats amazing!

Toby is even cleverer than the dog who rang 911 because that dog had been trained to do that.

* big pat for Toby!

I was skeptical until I saw my 6 month old Lab/Newfy mix learn how to box. The dog watched my son play a boxing game on his wii. When the game was finished the dog jumped up and started boxing my son in the chest -both paws going for a knock down.

Count me as a skeptic. But, I also believe in miracles, so maybe God worked through Toby!

I was skeptical until I saw my 6 month old Lab/Newfy mix learn how to box. The dog watched my son play a boxing game on his wii. When the game was finished the dog jumped up and started boxing my son in the chest -both paws going for a knock down.

What a cute story and Welcome to WS. :)

Thats amazing!

Toby is even cleverer than the dog who rang 911 because that dog had been trained to do that.

* big pat for Toby!

NO WAY, impossible - his pads would hit all the keys at the same time. It's not like they have these pointy little fingers - of course, maybe she had the large key pad phone - lol.

NO WAY, impossible - his pads would hit all the keys at the same time. It's not like they have these pointy little fingers - of course, maybe she had the large key pad phone - lol.

There are phones with pretty big buttons. Also, some of them have buttons on the side that are speed dial for 911. So the dog would just have to push one button.

I believe it. But I'm kind of gullible. :waitasec:

I didn't read the link, but from what i heard on the radio news, toby himself was rescued from a dumpster as a puppy......

Thanks for the welcome Shelly. My guy is also a rescue so maybe good, no great, things to come!

It was true Poco- really, I forget where the article is- probably here in Bizarre news somewhere- muttley had been trained to press that button.

From the posts it looks like Toby bit the cellphone to dial 911. He didn't use his paws. Still a tough job though.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back