844 users online (105 members and 739 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Another Pit Bull Attack

Minnesota woman in critical condition after pit bull attack.

http://www.grandforksherald.com/arti...x.cfm?id=32578
    Step right up and see the Yakwoman! Only 25 cents a look!

The two dogs had been declared "dangerous animals" after they attacked a 7-year-old boy last December.
    So why weren't they destroyed then?

would have saved nearly killing the next person attacked.

Quote Originally Posted by Floh View Post

Excellent question.
    Step right up and see the Yakwoman! Only 25 cents a look!

What makes Pit Bulls so dangerous? Is it the breeding? I always thought it was the owner who makes a pet dangerous.

Quote Originally Posted by mum33004 View Post
    What makes Pit Bulls so dangerous? Is it the breeding? I always thought it was the owner who makes a pet dangerous.
    Breeding has a lot to do with it as well as owner handling of the dog IMO. Any dog can be made into aggressive one by how it's handled and trained. But a dog that already had a lot of aggressiveness bred into it, won't take a lot to make it snap back to it's breeding temperament. Genetics greatly affect a dogs looks and temperament. The dogs we read about in the news are most likely back yard bred by people who are out just to make a dollar. Bad thing to do with this particular breed. I'm not experienced in the Pits, but in Danes I have seen the tragic results of backyard breeding them.

This is a good article about why pitbulls are more dangerous than other breeds, even in the hands of good owners:
    http://ezinearticles.com/?Are-Pitbul...ous?&id=296127

Pitbulls have the strongest bite-grip of ALL K-9's. Their jaws are powerful enough to break bones, and bite deeply into the bone through the muscle. This in its self is very unique in the K-9 kingdom because most dog breeds can't even bite deep into the muscle of their prey or opponent.

it's very simple. they were bred for generations to have physical (and, psychological- even though many deny this) characteristics that make them more able to do serious damage to another living thing, than most other dogs (are able to).

note the size and muscular quality of their head, jaw, and body. and, their talon-like claws. it's safe to say that they also have a characteristic bred into them that causes them to "snap" in an instant and attack.. and when they do attack, they tend to fight to kill. sometimes other dogs have this quality also, but like i said, it's much more common in pits, and when they do get violent they usually cause far more damage than other dogs can.

the fact is, pits were & are often bred for fighting. that is their history, that is a fact. even today they are often bred to be bigger, stronger, meaner, more vicious. just look around and you will see ****s and tough guys (and wanna-be tough guys) everywhere you look, who want to have a pit bull so they will feel like a bad-ass. or, because they are selling drugs and they want to feel more like a bad ass. or, because they feel like some kind of 'outlaw' so they feel like they must have an 'outlaw' dog.

of course there are some nice ones out there who wouldn't hurt a fly. and there are some nice non-**** owners who happen to have a pit bull. but that doesn't change the reality and the severity of the problem.

so yes, it's handling and breeding, but yes, it's also in their genes.

I feel sorry for these dogs. I know three people who have pits who are the sweetest creatures. One is 9, the other two are five or six by now. No problems. The oldest one was in a house with three kids, all under age 10 and it never even growled at anyone.

I am not saying they are not a more dangerous breed, just agreeing with Reb that there are some nice ones. I have two dogs and admit I would be worried about leaving them alone with a pit.

And, yes, that's three I know that have shown no signs of aggression compared to many who do. They sure are cute puppies. One of my dogs is possibly part pit, but he doesn't have the jaws.

Quote Originally Posted by Floh View Post

I agree with you, Floh
    I know it isn't the same thing as killing a person. And I purposely didn't post that the dogs that killed my cat Shadow were pits....

Mohrbacker said he planned to fix up his house, sell it and move to the country so his dogs wouldn't be around people.

Moving to the country doesn't necessarily mean the dogs won't harm. The dogs were deemed dangerous previously after attacking children, and now a second attack? Isn't once enough?

"We" have a not so friendly dog in our family. Not sure of the breed. A medium sized white thing, something similiar to an alaskan something or other, not a husky. Thing - a she- either loves ya or hates ya. Snaped at my godson, and snap is a gentle term. Had he not been wearing a winter coat which was too big and hung a good 4" past his hand, we would have had trouble. The dog has tried to bite my stepmother. My sister and her fiance, have to schedule grandma to babysit the dog during his kids visitiation, and Christmas eve was almost cancelled when my son was 3.5 months old over a huge fight about bringing my son around that dog, and the dog staying in the garage during dinner.

some dogs realistically need to be put down.
    ~JMO~

A grandfather is someone with silver in his hair and gold in his heart. ~Author Unknown

Long Lost Love - Discovery ID - Disappeared - Bob Harrod Case

You can now purchase Mr. Harrod's Disappeared episode through Amazon, iTunes or YouTube.

My in laws have one and its locked out when we go there. It has cut down on my visits, I am frightened of it. However I am glad its there with them, they are in their 80's.

Wink

I honestly can't believe this (as I pick my jaw up off the floor). This man isn't being charged? These animals aren't being destroyed?

He said they must have thought she "moved aggressively". That's the dumbest excuse I've heard and the police saying that they didn't think the dogs meant to kill or harm or whatever nonsense it was. What if they had attacked the four year old daughter?

I honestly think people have lost their minds.

My neighbor has two pit bulls. Sweetest dogs you'd ever want to meet. Would I trust them, no. Would I have a child or one of my pets around them, no.

Maybe the dogs can go to "rehab".

Quote Originally Posted by reportertype View Post
    I am not saying they are not a more dangerous breed, just agreeing with Reb that there are some nice ones.
    Yeah, nice, until they 'turn' on you and attack you...you never know when that will happen, just like the tigers and Siegfried and Roy...99.9% of the pitbull attack stories I have read about, the owners and all others involved always say, the dog has never bitten anyone, never even growled, always be such a kind, loving dog,....their chemical make up is not right, I would NEVER let one anywhere around my children or pets...they are too important to me to take a chance such as that. The research is out there, these are a dangerous breed of dogs, so much so, that some countries have totally outlawed them.

Quote Originally Posted by lizzybeth View Post

My neighbor has two pit bulls. Sweetest dogs you'd ever want to meet. Would I trust them, no. Would I have a child or one of my pets around them, no.

Quote Originally Posted by sissy's mom View Post
    ...And I purposely didn't post that the dogs that killed my cat Shadow were pits....
    The barn across the street from me for many years had "barn cats" in the high double digits. My cats were fine, but if a barn cat came into our yard, the dogs would kill it. One was a labrador, one was some big white mutt from the shelter.

Then I moved to Florida and started taking in just any dog anyone didn't want. Again, lots of stray cats in this area and a few that adopted my yard. All was fine with my Rottweiller Mix, Pittbull/Rot Mix, a couple of mixed matched dogs... and then we got a dog that I don't know what it was. It was a wussy dog, red, and coward to the Nth degree. HOWEVER, he was a leader and got the dogs into some kind of "pack" mode and they got my horse down and the red dog killed some cats before it was over.

I got rid of the red dog, back to it's orgininal owner and it was hit by a car shortly thereafter - but it doesn't take a pittbull to attack a cat. Just a dog.

People who take a powerful dog and teach it that being violent is rewarded - they're sick individuals.
    FUN... is a renewable resource!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast