1036 users online (237 members and 799 guests)  


Websleuths News


Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 174
  1. #31
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    orange county, ny
    Posts
    2,380
    As I recall, a review of the 1940's report on the remains (conducted in '98 or '99 I think) indicated that the remains were in fact those of a tall female of European descent. The evidence found by TIGHAR on Nikumaroro is intriguing, to say the least. The shoe sole is known to be of similar size to that worn by Amelia, and is of brand she is believed to have worn (from photographic evidence). Much has been made of the sheetmetal found on the island, and I recall experts on an episode of Unsolved Mysteries stating that the rivet pattern did not match that of any area on an Electra. However, Amelia's plan had been modified, not to mention hastily repaired after it crashed on take-off from a repair stop at Pearl Harbor.

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    State of confusion
    Posts
    835
    Hi Gaia227! I did not notice this thread until today. I have been a fan of Amelia since I read a biography about her when I was in the 1st grade. The book was not very big and the bio was brief but it was enough to get me hooked. I live in KS and when I found out that she spent a large portion of her life at her grandparent's in Atchison, KS I was really hooked. My parents took me to see her gp's home, library, etc. She has been a role model for me (not that I was as adventurous as Amelia) most of my life. I have read books and followed the stories of the recent development of the mystery off and on. I am just thrilled you started this thread and I look forward to reading all of the posts and links provided here to try to get up to date on this unsolved case.


    JUSTICE FOR TRAVIS

  3. #33
    gaia227's Avatar
    gaia227 is offline I have never taken any exercise except sleeping and resting - M. Twain
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    3,742
    Quote Originally Posted by travelgal View Post
    Hi Gaia227! I did not notice this thread until today. I have been a fan of Amelia since I read a biography about her when I was in the 1st grade. The book was not very big and the bio was brief but it was enough to get me hooked. I live in KS and when I found out that she spent a large portion of her life at her grandparent's in Atchison, KS I was really hooked. My parents took me to see her gp's home, library, etc. She has been a role model for me (not that I was as adventurous as Amelia) most of my life. I have read books and followed the stories of the recent development of the mystery off and on. I am just thrilled you started this thread and I look forward to reading all of the posts and links provided here to try to get up to date on this unsolved case.

    I look forward to hearing your input as you have followed her life and kept up with her disappearence.

    I was looking at a big picture of her today and was struck at how stunning she was. Judging from the pics it appears she was very tall.

    She is a very interesting woman regardless of her mysterious end. She was a real trailblazer in aviation and more importantly in what was acceptable for a female in the 20's and 30's. She did not let convention keep her down. I have a lot of respect for her. She was definitely her own woman.
    'The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated'
    --Ghandi


  4. #34
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    213
    Ham guy here...

    I find it pretty very that some kids in the Rockies or Florida would be picking up Earhart's distress call. Why?

    She was broadcasting at 50W, and using a V-type antenna (i.e. "rabbit ears")

    If I want to send a message to you locally using 50W, I could use a cheap antenna to broadcast, though it wouldn't be very efficient. It's especially inefficient because Earhart would have wanted to broadcast in all directions, since she was lost, so the energy from her transmitter would be spread out. The V-type is good at receiving, but not so good at transmitting.

    Also, Earhart would have wanted to make sure her signal was picked up locally, i.e. by Navy ships and other possible rescuers. The way you position your antenna is different (and also the frequencies you use, but that is another matter.) Think about it this way: if I wanted to send a radio transmission to (say) Europe on limited power, I need to have my signal bounce off the ionosphere at some point between here and Europe, and back down. That means I need to effectively point my antenna 'up'. But that also means that my signal wouldn't get picked up between those points.

    Earhart and Noonan knew enough about radio to make sure that the signal was picked up locally. Sending it to a far-off land would only do them good if someone was listening on that particular frequency, at the time they were broadcasting.

    Second, the frequencies that Earhart and Noonan were using are HF frequencies (which is what you want for long-distance communications) but at the time were allocated for aviation-only use, and it's unlikely that some kids would not only have the equipment to change the tuning frequencies on the radio (probably a crystal change back then), but also modify their antenna so it could pick up transmissions ON that frequency (yes it matters, my antenna is fine for some transmissions and lousy for others), and at the right angle to the sky to hear them. Oh, and they'd have to know what frequency she was using, or be "in the right place at the right time."

    It's far more likely that the kids either lied or someone was playing a trick on them.

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    State of confusion
    Posts
    835
    Quote Originally Posted by gaia227 View Post
    I look forward to hearing your input as you have followed her life and kept up with her disappearence.

    I was looking at a big picture of her today and was struck at how stunning she was. Judging from the pics it appears she was very tall.

    She is a very interesting woman regardless of her mysterious end. She was a real trailblazer in aviation and more importantly in what was acceptable for a female in the 20's and 30's. She did not let convention keep her down. I have a lot of respect for her. She was definitely her own woman.
    There are displays of her clothing & luggage designs as well as other pieces from her ward robe at the Amelia Earhart Birthplace Museum in Atchison, KS. I was very amazed at her long slender body as evident in her clothing. I believe she was one of the first women of her time to wear pants in public most of the time. Her love letters to her hubby, George Putnam, are there also. Quite an interesting place. Here is a link to more info:

    http://www.ameliaearhartmuseum.org/

    Also every July there is an Amelia Earhart Festival:

    July 17-18, 2009
    Amelia Earhart Festival
    13th annual celebration. Friday evening LakeFest concert at Warnock Lake featuring Rodney Atkins, Little Big Town and Jack Ingram. Click HERE for more information on LakeFest 2009, including ticket information. Other highlights include a downtown fair with arts & crafts, live entertainment, food vendors and children’s activities, panel discussions with authors and researchers, award luncheon, carnival rides, aerobatic performances, aviation displays, and spectacular fireworks over the Missouri River. Call 800-234-1854 or or CLICK HERE for more Amelia Earhart Festival information.

    Atchison is quite an interesting town about 45 min NW of Kansas City. I have escorted groups to visit Atchison, so I can fill you in on the many things to do if you are ever interested in a visit!
    Last edited by travelgal; 06-26-2009 at 01:44 AM. Reason: added sentence


    JUSTICE FOR TRAVIS

  6. #36
    gaia227's Avatar
    gaia227 is offline I have never taken any exercise except sleeping and resting - M. Twain
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    3,742
    Quote Originally Posted by travelgal View Post
    There are displays of her clothing & luggage designs as well as other pieces from her ward robe at the Amelia Earhart Birthplace Museum in Atchison, KS. I was very amazed at her long slender body as evident in her clothing. I believe she was one of the first women of her time to wear pants in public most of the time. Her love letters to her hubby, George Putnam, are there also. Quite an interesting place. Here is a link to more info:

    http://www.ameliaearhartmuseum.org/

    Also every July there is an Amelia Earhart Festival:

    July 17-18, 2009
    Amelia Earhart Festival
    13th annual celebration. Friday evening LakeFest concert at Warnock Lake featuring Rodney Atkins, Little Big Town and Jack Ingram. Click HERE for more information on LakeFest 2009, including ticket information. Other highlights include a downtown fair with arts & crafts, live entertainment, food vendors and children’s activities, panel discussions with authors and researchers, award luncheon, carnival rides, aerobatic performances, aviation displays, and spectacular fireworks over the Missouri River. Call 800-234-1854 or or CLICK HERE for more Amelia Earhart Festival information.

    Atchison is quite an interesting town about 45 min NW of Kansas City. I have escorted groups to visit Atchison, so I can fill you in on the many things to do if you are ever interested in a visit!
    Thanks TG - I am actually from Missouri and come home to visit at least once a year. My home base in Springfield which is about 3 hours from KC.

    In addition to being the home of Amelia Atchinson is also considered to be one of the most haunted cities in America.
    'The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated'
    --Ghandi


  7. #37
    gaia227's Avatar
    gaia227 is offline I have never taken any exercise except sleeping and resting - M. Twain
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    3,742
    This video contains the interviews of 3 WWII American Vets who were on Saipan during the war.

    Laura_Bean - they interview the guy who says he found Amelia's briefcase containing all her papers, airplane papers, visa, etc. Also interviews with a man who claims he saw her on 4 occaisions on Saipan and another man who watched the U.S. military blow up her plane after it was found.

    What Really Happened to Amelia Earhart
    Last edited by KateB; 04-03-2015 at 08:24 AM. Reason: repair url tag.
    'The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated'
    --Ghandi


  8. #38
    gaia227's Avatar
    gaia227 is offline I have never taken any exercise except sleeping and resting - M. Twain
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    3,742
    Last edited by KateB; 04-03-2015 at 08:25 AM. Reason: repair url tag.
    'The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated'
    --Ghandi


  9. #39
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    orange county, ny
    Posts
    2,380
    I remember the show when it was originally broadcast.... Sheesh, Im getting old.

    George Noory, on his Coast to Coast AM late-night radio show, has discussed at length the phenomenon of military broadcasts in the South Pacific being picked up thousands of miles away---even though those same broadcasts were not heard by stations much closer.
    Similar reports were received after the disappearance of Flight 19 off Florida in 1945, and also after the disappearance of the Star Ariel passenger liner in 1948.

    The last radio transmissions from Amelia will always be a major point of contention in the mystery. The Electra had been outfitted with a directional loop antenna, which at that time were very new. Some involved in the investigation have stated the belief that Amelia was unfamiliar with the operation of the antenna. Ive also read that Amelia and Noonan made the decision to cut their 'hanging wire" antenna, as they did not want to reel the cable in after each use.

  10. #40
    gaia227's Avatar
    gaia227 is offline I have never taken any exercise except sleeping and resting - M. Twain
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    3,742
    I know nothing about radio transmissions and how they work especially in regards to antenna's. I thought I had read somewhere that they had lost their radio antenna when they took off and didn't know it. ISTACA could hear her but she couldn't hear them because of it. I am not sure if that is true or not.

    I love Coast to Coast. I have never caught a show where he is talking about what you mentioned. Interesting. Do they have any theories as to why that happens in the S. Pacific?
    'The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated'
    --Ghandi



  11. #41
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    10,492

    Amelia Earhart: Mystery Solved?

    Amelia Earhart Mystery Solved? 'Investigation Junkies' to Launch New Expedition

    It has been 72 years since famed aviator Amelia Earhart and navigator Fred Noonan disappeared while attempting to fly around the world. But the mystery remains unsolved: Nobody knows exactly what happened to Earhart or her plane.

    The International Group for Historic Aircraft Recovery is planning another expedition to Nikumaroro Island in the hopes of uncovering DNA evidence that may show Amelia Earhart survived there for a short period of time.
    (Courtesy of TIGHAR)
    More Photos

    Now researchers at the International Group for Historic Aircraft Recovery, or Tighar, say they are on the verge of recovering DNA evidence that would demonstrate Earhart had been stranded on Nikumaroro Island (formerly known as Gardner Island) before finally perishing there.

    Much more at link:

    http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/sto...8160365&page=1

    I have always been fascinated by this case. I thought she had an "I have a secret" grin in her pre-flight photo.
    Last edited by 21merc7; 07-28-2009 at 05:31 PM. Reason: adding info

    Unless I have included a link, it is my opinion and only my opinion that I am expressing.

  12. #42
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    829
    I went to the link - great article, and much of it thought-provoking. I have also found Amelia Earheart fascinating. I do hope answers are found.

  13. #43
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    10,492
    I hope some answers are found too. It would be wonderful if they find they landed on this island and survived for quite some time. It has always been a story that I could make up different endings too when I was very, very young. Of course as a child they were all pleasant endings, but wouldn't it be nice if it really was.
    Last edited by 21merc7; 07-29-2009 at 06:55 AM.

    Unless I have included a link, it is my opinion and only my opinion that I am expressing.

  14. #44
    gaia227's Avatar
    gaia227 is offline I have never taken any exercise except sleeping and resting - M. Twain
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    3,742
    If interested there is a thread on Amelia in the Cold Case section. We've have a lot of links posted to TIGHAR's website and regarding the events surrounding her disappearence.
    I feel like it is VERY likely Amelia and Fred did end up on the island however if it was inhabitated within a year of their crash landing wouldn't the inhabitants have found her plane and their bodies?

    http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...amelia+earhart
    'The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated'
    --Ghandi


  15. #45
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    10,492
    Thanks for pointng me to the other thread gaia, maybe the mods can move this or just delete it when they get time.

    It would seem any inhabitants would have found something. If they did, they may have gotten rid of the plane and buried any bones, and no stories passed down over 72 years.

    Unless I have included a link, it is my opinion and only my opinion that I am expressing.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast


Similar Threads

  1. NY NY - Alice Parsons: Heiress, Long Island, 1937
    By Marilynilpa in forum Pre-1960's Missing
    Replies: 583
    Last Post: 10-05-2017, 12:50 PM
  2. GUILTY SC - Rodricus Williams, 2, Charleston, 6 July 2010
    By CharlestonGal in forum Recently Sentenced and Beyond
    Replies: 68
    Last Post: 03-16-2014, 08:02 PM

Tags for this Thread