1302 users online (203 members and 1099 guests)  

Websleuths News

'Very active' hurricane season predicted

FORT COLLINS, Colorado (AP) -- The 2007 Atlantic hurricane season should be "very active," with 17 named storms, a top storm forecaster said Tuesday.
    Those named storms are expected to include five intense or major hurricanes, according to forecaster William Gray's team at Colorado State University. Gray said there is a 74 percent probability of a major hurricane hitting the U.S. coast.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/WEATHER/04/0...rss_topstories

poco is offline A cat will blink when struck with a hammer.
    You are trying to ruin my summer and it hasn't even really started yet - thanks alot!

So often times it happens that we live our life in chains, and we never even know we have the key. ...Eagles, "Already Gone"

Quote Originally Posted by poco View Post
    You are trying to ruin my summer and it hasn't even really started yet - thanks alot!
    Sorry, the article caught my eye when I came online. I only live 1/2 a mile from the coast, so this doesn't exactly thrill me.

Well, they predicted a bad season last year but then nothing much happened so let's hope for the sake of everybody that they are wrong again this time.

Quote Originally Posted by Cypros View Post
    Well, they predicted a bad season last year but then nothing much happened so let's hope for the sake of everybody that they are wrong again this time.

That's what I was going to say too. Last year was supposed to be the worst ever and it might have been the least activity I remember. Console yourself with how often they are wrong.

It's gonna be a wild season! Batten the hatches!

Bill Gray's 2006 Predicitions

The specifics
    The 2006 forecast calls for:
    • 17 named tropical storms; an average season has 9.6.
    • 9 hurricanes compared to the average of 5.9.
    • 5 major hurricanes with winds exceeding 110 mph; average is 2.3.
    Though these statistical predictions cannot portend when any of the storms will form or where they will go, Klotzbach, Gray and colleagues calculate an 81 percent chance that at least one major hurricane will hit the U.S. coast in 2006.

What actually happened:
    a total of 9 Storms
    only 5 Hurricanes of those (2 considered major)

(just pulled this up, didn't spend much time researching, but I don't believe 1 MAJOR hurricane hit the US last year...or am I wrong)

Alberto Beryl Chris Debby Ernesto Florence Gordon Helene Isaac

I was going to say the same thing. After the same prediction, last year was a bust when it came to hurricanes.

In the meantime, I am hoping we, here in CA, don't have to endure another heat wave, like the one last year. I'm waiting for Costco to bring in the air conditioners; I'll probably buy another one.

Even though they may not be able to accurately predict the number of storms in any one year, they do know we are in a period of increased hurricane activity (after a few relatively quiet decades). People on the East and Gulf Coasts should probably just assume the worst.

I was also going to point out that last year they were totally wrong but ya'll beat me to it...(a couple of times)

kahskye I live litterally on the beach ... So a big hurricaine season does not appeal to me either.

I live on an island in south Florida so if there is a caine it usually hits here first then decides which direction it will take
    Luckily they usually do not hit here to hard...
    I once evacuated to where the hurricaine hit LOLOL .....

And I'm sure the media will blow this out of proportion. No pun intended.

Look what happened with shark attacks. They're so minimal yet every time it happens to someone it's all over the news.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Nova View Post
    Even though they may not be able to accurately predict the number of storms in any one year, they do know we are in a period of increased hurricane activity (after a few relatively quiet decades). People on the East and Gulf Coasts should probably just assume the worst.
    Hunker Down time already?!

Dr Gray's reputation is really on the line this year--Last year he predicted 17 storms but there were only 9--If the same thing happens this year, more and more people will not take him seriously anymore

Quote Originally Posted by poco View Post
    I hope you have a beautiful summer Poco