739 users online (73 members and 666 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

IL - Officer Anthony Abbate for beating & kicking woman, Chicago, 2007

Sorry if this was already posted. I did a search and couldn't find it.

Check Out link for article and the Surveillance Video :

http://www.nbc5.com/news/11320671/detail.html

Quote Originally Posted by evelyn24 View Post
    Sorry if this was already posted. I did a search and couldn't find it.

Check Out link for article and the Surveillance Video :

http://www.nbc5.com/news/11320671/detail.html
    I can't believe how the other guys in the bar just stood there and watched it happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Mabel View Post
    I can't believe how the other guys in the bar just stood there and watched it happen.
    I know, that surprised me too. Nobody around the bar tried to intervene. I wonder if was because they knew he was cop? Drunk or not, there is no excuse for the cop's behavior.

Quote Originally Posted by SadieMae View Post
    I know, that surprised me too. Nobody around the bar tried to intervene. I wonder if was because they knew he was cop? Drunk or not, there is no excuse for the cop's behavior.
    I think they just couldn't believe it...it looked like one guy pulled out his cell phone right away but didn't use it, and then they did eventually intervene. Plus, it had to be a little scary. That guy was huge! And obviously really drunk.

What amazed me is that she got up after being beaten like that. I mean, I was expecting to see her curled up on the floor in a ball, but she got up and walked away from him. That's one tough cookie.

hipmamajen is offline I love the friends I have gathered together on this thin raft...
    "Later on the night of the attack, someone approached the bartender saying he was there on behalf of Abbate and offered her money not to report the incident, according to court records."

Nice. Above the law much?
    Just thinkin' out loud....

Quote Originally Posted by hipmamajen View Post
    "Later on the night of the attack, someone approached the bartender saying he was there on behalf of Abbate and offered her money not to report the incident, according to court records."

Nice. Above the law much?
    Oh this is a big thing story in Chicago now.

That was terrible, I hope the cop is treated like any other felon, charged and thrown of the police force.

The dude clearly has some major issues. Glad she is ok.

This officer is a disgrace to the uniform, he needs to have the book thrown at him. Due to incidents like this, people are afraid to go to police for help. No one calling for help makes me wonder if there are other incidents with police there that aren't reported due to coverups offers of payoffs. May this one bad apple not ruin the other shining bunch.

Quote Originally Posted by Shazza View Post
    That was terrible, I hope the cop is treated like any other felon, charged and thrown of the police force.
    That's the sad part... he WASN'T being treated like a felon and thrown off the police force... UNTIL the media got a hold of that tape. His "friends" threatened her to keep quiet, and his boss "slapped" his wrist.

NOW tho, from what I understand, he is having charges pressed. I even read the other day that the chief (?) of police has "retired" - and they speculate it's over this incident and one other.

“Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth.” Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sr.

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/13212601/detail.html

Prosecutors have announced they're charging a Chicago police officer with 14 new felony counts in the beating of a female bartender last February.

Yes - my reading was that he was originally charged w/ a misdemeanor (i.e. maximum penalty is one year in jail - and probation is usually what happens) That's outrageous - thank god there was video.

This guy definitely has no business roaming around with a badge and a gun. And good if his boss was forced to retire because of earlier inaction.

There have been some well-documented studies on police officers who commit crimes, including domestic abuse, and get away with it because the victim is afraid to come forward, figuring (and rightly so, I image in many cases) that his co-workers will do nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by reportertype View Post
    There have been some well-documented studies on police officers who commit crimes, including domestic abuse, and get away with it because the victim is afraid to come forward, figuring (and rightly so, I image in many cases) that his co-workers will do nothing.
    I can think of three domestic abuse cases offhand where this was the situation, and the officer later murdered his wife and/or kids.

I can also think of a few cases just here in my county where wife called 911 for help, and then later recanted. In that case, the DA was trying to prosecute and she was saying LE had overreacted to her call. I think they did end up withdrawing that one - but in WI many Domestic Abuse cases go forward with or without victim's testimony or consent.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...1,912077.story

Anthony Abbate, the Chicago police officer caught on video beating a female bartender, may soon plead guilty to the crime, his lawyer said Wednesday.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast