1119 users online (181 members and 938 guests)  



Websleuths News


Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1,685

    Lost in jungle, hikers lived on frogs, spiders

    CAYENNE, French Guiana (AP) -- Two hikers lost in the dense jungle of French Guiana for weeks survived by eating the only things at hand: beetles and other insects, frogs and spiders.

    The French hikers, Guilhem Nayral and Loic Pillois, were found Thursday, French authorities said.
    They had left February 14 for a hike from the Grand Kanori rapids on the river Approuague to the tiny village of Saul. Their families alerted authorities on February 28, two days after they were scheduled to arrive.
    "After 12 days, we hadn't arrived in Saul. We thought that someone would come looking for us, so we stopped. We waited for three weeks in the same place. We heard helicopters pass, and we figured that we had to make ourselves seen. So we cut down trees to make a fire," Pillois told reporters, according to RFO television.

    "We ate palm seeds, we drank water because we always had a river next to us, where we washed. We also trapped insects and beetles. We ate frogs and tarantulas.


    http://www.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/americ....ap/index.html

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    406
    I would have surely perished. I think I would have died from fear after seeing a tarantula before I starved from not eating them.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    817

    with you

    mrsjonnob i am with you, no hairy spiders for me either!!!!!!
    I would probably just chew wood and drink water!


  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    13,721
    Somethings are worse than death ,and eating a tarantula would be one of them for me

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    12,415
    I am arachnophobic, just the thought of a hairy tarantula gives me the heebie jeebies.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    406
    Quote Originally Posted by Shazza View Post
    I am arachnophobic, just the thought of a hairy tarantula gives me the heebie jeebies.
    Do you recall the movie Arachnophobia with John Goodman? I had to leave the room... my kids laughed me, but I couldnt even watch, I am that much of a pansy!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    12,415
    Quote Originally Posted by mrsjonnob View Post
    Do you recall the movie Arachnophobia with John Goodman? I had to leave the room... my kids laughed me, but I couldnt even watch, I am that much of a pansy!
    Hi mrsjonnob, I cant even look at a spider on the TV, anywhere without getting the shivers, and if I think one has landed on me I just go ballistic, I am that scared of them.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Melbourne Australia
    Posts
    4,175
    I think i could eat spiders if I was starving and in fear of death... But I am a big pansy when it comes to what I eat but the fear of starving to death would cure that...

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    12,415
    Quote Originally Posted by kazzbar View Post
    I think i could eat spiders if I was starving and in fear of death... But I am a big pansy when it comes to what I eat but the fear of starving to death would cure that...
    I think if we are put into a situation where we had to eat what is available, we would pretty much eat anything, but I really would have to be starving and anyway I have a bit of body fat to keep me going for a while.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Melbourne Australia
    Posts
    4,175
    Quote Originally Posted by Shazza View Post
    I think if we are put into a situation where we had to eat what is available, we would pretty much eat anything, but I really would have to be starving and anyway I have a bit of body fat to keep me going for a while.
    Me too... more since my Easter chokky binge!!


  11. #11
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    3,375
    insects beetles and tarantulas?? NO WAY--frogs maybe,if they're cooked---yeccchh---anyway,this survival story would be a good one for the TV reality show "I Shouldn't Be Alive"--

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    12,415
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Hamilton View Post
    insects beetles and tarantulas?? NO WAY--frogs maybe,if they're cooked---yeccchh---anyway,this survival story would be a good one for the TV reality show "I Shouldn't Be Alive"--
    That is a great show Peter, those people have been looked after by their guardian angel. Its just another reminder of how lucky we are, imagine being in their shoes, scary.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    3,375
    Glad you like that show too--hope they make some more of them

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    12,415
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Hamilton View Post
    Glad you like that show too--hope they make some more of them
    Me too. They are life changing stories for those involved. It really brings home that noone is immortal and we should thank our lucky stars that we are here, and we should also remember there are always people worse of than ourselves. At least in these stories they have survived against all odds, I dont know how I would cope with the situations that they were in, Im just glad that I havent been in that situation.



Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-26-2013, 01:32 PM
  2. Cambodian 'jungle girl' rescued
    By reb in forum Up to the Minute
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-19-2007, 11:44 PM
  3. Men 'tried to smuggle 600 frogs'
    By Casshew in forum Bizarre and Off-Beat News
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-26-2004, 04:48 PM
  4. Paul McCartney abused frogs
    By Casshew in forum Celebrity and Entertainment News
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-13-2004, 08:43 AM