1142 users online (206 members and 936 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

WV - Sgt. James Haynes, 32, Wyoming County, 7 Dec 1963

James Lee Haynes
    Missing since December 7, 1963 from West Virginia
    Classification: Missing

Circumstances of Disappearance

Sergeant James Haynes was hitch hiking home to Wyoming County on December 7, 1963. He never made it.

Deputies believe he was hit by a car and buried on Bolt Mountain, but they haven't been able to find the body.

Haynes' billfold and Army dog tags were found in a wooded area in Wyoming County following his disappearance. Police believe he was fatally injured when run over by a car containing three men with whom he had fought at a tavern.

At the time of his death, police said Haynes was hitchhiking to Saulsville in Wyoming County to deliver Christmas presents.

Investigators
    If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:
    Raleigh County Sheriff's Department 255-9300

Source Information:
    The State Journal
    Charleston Daily Mail
    The Doe Network: Case File 3338DMWV
    Last edited by Kimster; 02-12-2012 at 12:09 PM. Reason: featured cold case from 2/5/12 to 2/12/12

Almost 44 years ago...

Bumping this case up.

Even though it would appear that Sgt Haynes was murdered, the US Army would still be carrying him as a Deserter, since he disappeared and no body has been found.

This means that for the past 44 years, his family has been called periodically by the Army to see if their "deserter" son has ever called home.

No military honors, memorial service, flag, or memorial headstone could be obtained. They also cannot obtain his final pay or receive his Servicemans Government Life Insurance money.

46 years ago...

It has been 46 years since he disappeared. The case is still unsolved.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Bumping this case up.

Even though it would appear that Sgt Haynes was murdered, the US Army would still be carrying him as a Deserter, since he disappeared and no body has been found.

This means that for the past 44 years, his family has been called periodically by the Army to see if their "deserter" son has ever called home.

No military honors, memorial service, flag, or memorial headstone could be obtained. They also cannot obtain his final pay or receive his Servicemans Government Life Insurance money.
    Sorry that you have been so misinformed Richard. James Lee Haynes was labeled as dead by the military and given a footplate for his plot that still remains empty. The person that was thought to have killed my Father is Ludy Trump that has since died ( none to soon for me). I don't have any other info or the others that were with him that night. Sooo.... My father was corrected as not being a awol solider or an absent Dad.

Quote Originally Posted by haynes View Post
    Sorry that you have been so misinformed Richard. James Lee Haynes was labeled as dead by the military and given a footplate for his plot that still remains empty. The person that was thought to have killed my Father is Ludy Trump that has since died ( none to soon for me). I don't have any other info or the others that were with him that night. Sooo.... My father was corrected as not being a awol solider or an absent Dad.
    Welcome to websleuths and to this thread about the disappearance of Sgt. Haynes. Sorry to have provided incorrect information regarding your family.

Sources that I have seen did not state what the Army's position was in this case. My statements regarding missing service men/women being declared deserters was based on my own military experience and from having seen many similar cases.

In this case, it appears that the Army accepted the local authorities belief that a homicide had occurred and that Sgt. Haynes' body was not recoverable. The case is still open and unsolved, however, as no one was ever indicted or tried for the murder.

Perhaps now that Mr. Trump is dead, someone will come forward and provide information as to the location of the body.

It has now been 47 years since Sgt. Haynes was last seen alive.

James Lee Haynes - Deserves our respect

Quote Originally Posted by haynes View Post

I am so sorry for your loss. Your father deserved better than this and I hop and pray all those responsible will be found and that your father's remains will be laid to rest in the proper grave.

Mad Butcher Killings in Oak Hill 1962 - 1964

Sgt Haynes was one of 7 possibly more who were murdered by the Mad Butcher in Oak Hill during the 60's. Here is a link to a MySpace Post describing the events.

http://www.myspace.com/randall31/blog

Only 2 bodies were identified.

This is very sad.........

This is a "Topix" bog on the topic

http://www.topix.com/forum/city/oak-...MLLQF0PEASDFC8

The known victims:

7 victims between 1962 and 1964 possibly more. only 2 bodies identified.

THE VICTIMS

1.Ernest Gwinn-July 3 1962-76 years old

Only his skull was found with a bullet hole in it.

2.Sammy Smith-October 30 1962-33 years old

Body never found

3.Mike Leo Rogers-December 19,1962- 19 years old

Mildy retarded, Mike had the mind of a 6 year old

His body was later found on gauley mountain hacked into parts, his liver had chew marks on it

4.Louis Bennett-July 27 1963-40 years old

He was found later, a victim of tnt, yep someone tried to blow him up!

5.Gene Arthur-November 22,1963-33 years old

Naval officer, body never found

6.Sgt.James lee Haynes-December7,1963-40 years old

body never found

7. Bobby Mack Agee-Febuary 1963

Body never found

They had one suspect who ended up in a mental hospital. He did confess to at least 1 of the murders, Mike Rogers. (Maybe more that I don't know about)

He was: Simon Chapple. He went to an insane asylum in Ohio. He never went to court.

The Three Minute Lunch

More information on the murders:

http://officialcoldcaseinvestigation...oto=nextoldest

I wonder if they still have that bone chip in evidence and if a DNA profile could run and compared to Sgt Haynes survivng family.

I know LE thinks that he was probably killed by those 3 guys in the car (but that doesn't mean those 3 couldn't be responsible for the other killings as well) Wasn't was the 1st missing man supposedly seen in the company of 3 men when he left the diner?

James Haynes,32, Army enlisted,Vanished Dec. 7, 1963, last seen at intersection Highway 21
    in Oak Hill where he was dropped off by a family (he had hitchhiked). He was from
    Baltimore, but was hitchhiking to visit his parents in Pineville.Sergeant James Haynes was
    hitch hiking home to Wyoming County on December 7, 1963. He never made it.
    Deputies believe he was hit by a car and buried on Bolt Mountain, but they haven't been
    able to find the body.
    Haynes' billfold and Army dog tags were found in a wooded area in Wyoming County following
    his disappearance. Police believe he was fatally injured when run over by a car containing
    three men with whom he had fought at a tavern.
    At the time of his death, police said Haynes was hitchhiking to Saulsville in Wyoming
    County to deliver Christmas presents.

Dec. 7, 1963, White, Male, Adult,Torso found 6 miles south of Pineville in Wyoming County, off State Route 16,near Indian Creek, with 19 puncture wounds in the chest, lungs very clean, did not smoke, was not a coal miner. A
    blood-stained table cloth was found nearby and a tarpaulin with sand and straw were found to contain the lower torso. It was tied with mine explosive wire. The head, both arms and legs below the knees were missing. The torso was sawed in half. The upper part of the torso was found about four feet away from the lower half in the tarpaulin.
    A bone chip also was found. They said the body was "sawed." Male was 30 to 35 years of age, weighed about 170 pounds, and had been dead for two weeks. Buried "unidentified." Body was buried at Still Run Jan. 6 1964 by the Robertson-Foglesong Funeral Home. Grave has a bronze marker with the inscription "Unidentified Male A."

Dna

I don't know if the DNA was ever tested. Let's hope registered user, "Haynes" comes on and can give you the answers. "Haynes" is the child of Sgt. James Haynes.
    A parole review date is set for July 21, 2012 for Fred Howard Coffey.

Coffey was convicted of the murder of 10 yr old Amanda Marie Ray, NC. He admitted to molesting 300 children.

Please write a letter on behalf of Amanda.

Suspect in the murders of:
    5 yr old Neely Smith, NC
    14 yr old Kathy Lynn Beatty, MD
    8 yr old Travis Shane King, VA

Possibly connected to the disappearances of:
    14 Yr old Tracy Anne King, PA
    11 yr old Sheila and 13 yr old Katherine Lyons, MD
    15 yr old Carolyn Majane, NJ

Write to:
    Chairman Charles L. Mann Sr.
    NC Post Release Supervision & Parole Commission
    P.O. Box 29540