Should Don Imus be fired?

SadieMae

Former Member
Reaction score
I was pretty outraged at Don Imus' remarks directed toward the Rutgers University Women's Basketball team. These young women represent the good in our youth today. Getting an education to be productive in our society and contribute to our country.

I've been a regular listener of his for many years, and realize he pokes fun at politicians, celebrities, the government and current affairs. Most of his sarcasms get a giggle from me. But I do think his remark calling these women "nappy-headed ho's", was way over the line. Not only was his remark racist, it was also a slur against their gender. I was pretty shocked when I heard it! This wasn't directed to the team, it was directed to specific members. It's one thing to say the team sucked, but to target the minority members only, is not a mistake, it's inexcusable IMO.

I cannot stand Al Sharpton or Jesse Jackson, but I tend to agree with them on this one. I think it's time to take Imus off the air. These young women were talked about they were streetwalking, drug addicted, every baby got a different daddy, ghetto **advertiser censored* ho's on the public airwaves. They did nothing to deserve it!!

The Rutgers team, which includes eight black women, had lost the day before in the NCAA women's championship game. Imus was speaking with producer Bernard McGuirk about the game when the exchange began on "Imus in the Morning," which is broadcast to millions of people on more than 70 stations and MSNBC.
"That's some rough girls from Rutgers," Imus said. "Man, they got tattoos ..."
"Some hardcore hos," McGuirk said.
"That's some nappy-headed hos there, I'm going to tell you that," Imus said.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/SHOWBIZ/TV/04/09/imus.ap/index.html

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070409/ap_on_re_us/imus_protests_35

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/wireStory?id=3023943

I was pretty outraged at Don Imus' remarks directed toward the Rutgers University Women's Basketball team. These young women represent the good in our youth today. Getting an education to be productive in our society and contribute to our country.

I've been a regular listener of his for many years, and realize he pokes fun at politicians, celebrities, the government and current affairs. Most of his sarcasms get a giggle from me. But I do think his remark calling these women "nappy-headed ho's", was way over the line. Not only was his remark racist, it was also a slur against their gender. I was pretty shocked when I heard it! This wasn't directed to the team, it was directed to specific members. It's one thing to say the team sucked, but to target the minority members only, is not a mistake, it's inexcusable IMO.

I cannot stand Al Sharpton or Jesse Jackson, but I tend to agree with them on this one. I think it's time to take Imus off the air. These young women were talked about they were streetwalking, drug addicted, every baby got a different daddy, ghetto **advertiser censored* ho's on the public airwaves. They did nothing to deserve it!!

The Rutgers team, which includes eight black women, had lost the day before in the NCAA women's championship game. Imus was speaking with producer Bernard McGuirk about the game when the exchange began on "Imus in the Morning," which is broadcast to millions of people on more than 70 stations and MSNBC.
"That's some rough girls from Rutgers," Imus said. "Man, they got tattoos ..."
"Some hardcore hos," McGuirk said.
"That's some nappy-headed hos there, I'm going to tell you that," Imus said.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/SHOWBIZ/TV/04/09/imus.ap/index.html

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070409/ap_on_re_us/imus_protests_35

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/wireStory?id=3023943

I sincerely hope he is fired. I also hope Rutgers University files some sort of suit against him and I hope those young ladies, their families,and Vivian Stringer absolutely refuse to meet with him or even remotely consider an apology from that freaked out windbag IMO.

They need to do something about McGuirk, too because he called them hos.
Frankly, Imus should apologize for this looks:doh: :hand: .

Am tried of most of the "personalities" on the air/tv. Lets clean house and get rid of Hannity, Limbaugh and Boortz...they're are idiots we can do without!

No. He has freedom of speech and media, and furthermore, for all the garbage Howard Stern and others have spewed forth, calling someone a ho or whatever pales by comparison. Imus is a shock jock just like the others. But they have a right to be that. Not that I like what they do by any means.

They need to do something about McGuirk, too because he called them hos.
Frankly, Imus should apologize for this looks:doh: :hand: .

Am tried of most of the "personalities" on the air/tv. Lets clean house and get rid of Hannity, Limbaugh and Boortz...they're are idiots we can do without!

Then we can fire all of Air America, too, then! Let's get started!!!! :woohoo:

Then we can fire all of Air America, too, then! Let's get started!!!! :woohoo:

Come on! There's no comparison. If anyone on Air America said anything that offensive, I think you should provide a quote.

What Imus said is deeply racist and sexist. HOWEVER, a shock jock is going to cross the line now and then. There should be some punishment - maybe a suspension - but I agree with DK that firing him is too severe.

I have to agree with Dark Knight and Nova, we still live in a country where we have a constitutional right to freedom of speech, whether we like what is said or not. DK is correct that Howard Stern has been calling women "ho's" for years and has certainly said things that are even more demeaning to women............I despise the things he says, but respect his right to say them. When we start taking away our right to freedom of speech, our right to live, and our right to choose our religion (as well as other constitutional rights), we become no longer the land of the free and that would be a far worse situation.

Imus suspended for 2 weeks.

I wonder if there would be the same outrage if he'd said "a bunch of bleached blonde hos?"

I have to agree with Dark Knight on this one. I HATE Howard Stern; I don't much care for IMUS, either. Irrespective, we still have the Constitutional Right to speak freely...these ARE, after all, shock jocks :D.

My motto is, if you don't like someone, tune them, or turn them, OFF.

Imus suspended for 2 weeks.

I wonder if there would be the same outrage if he'd said "a bunch of bleached blonde hos?"

No, there wouldn't be. DK is right, though, it's a freedom of speech issue, but at the same time, he was very insulting. I think a suspension is a good compromise. And he HAS apologized profusely.

I have to agree with Dark Knight on this one. I HATE Howard Stern; I don't much care for IMUS, either. Irrespective, we still have the Constitutional Right to speak freely...these ARE, after all, shock jocks :D.

That's true,everyone has the right to say and think anything they want ... but good old fashion common sense tells me,if you're going to hurt someone's feelings.or promote hatred,expect a backlash .... and rightly so.

And when that happens,it's a catch 22,and our lives are in chaos...it can become a doubled edged sword.

There is a fine line to free speech,and we should learn to respect it.

But Don Imus isn't exercising his freedom of speech privately. He is using public air waves leased by corporate monies.

I don't believe anyone here will argue that he should go to jail. But the company Imus works for has rights too, including the right to prevent its customers from being insulted gratuitously.

If I used that phrase to one of my employer's customers (or anywhere that got it into the media), I would be fired, and rightfully so.

What makes this different, in my view, is that Imus is paid in large part to say outrageous things. His employer must expect that he will occasionally go too far. So while the apology and suspension seem fair, termination seems too far.

Come on! There's no comparison. If anyone on Air America said anything that offensive, I think you should provide a quote.

What Imus said is deeply racist and sexist. HOWEVER, a shock jock is going to cross the line now and then. There should be some punishment - maybe a suspension - but I agree with DK that firing him is too severe.

I mentioned Air America because someone mentioned Limbaugh, Hannity, etc. :)

A suspension like he got sounds fair.

But Don Imus isn't exercising his freedom of speech privately. He is using public air waves leased by corporate monies.

I don't believe anyone here will argue that he should go to jail. But the company Imus works for has rights too, including the right to prevent its customers from being insulted gratuitously.

If I used that phrase to one of my employer's customers (or anywhere that got it into the media), I would be fired, and rightfully so.

What makes this different, in my view, is that Imus is paid in large part to say outrageous things. His employer must expect that he will occasionally go too far. So while the apology and suspension seem fair, termination seems too far.

Exactly. He was doing "his job." Dirty as that job may be. And it's pretty sad that SOME people have said his profuse apologies are not enough (which is more than Stern has ever done really.) When we get to the point where we don't accept apologies and are only after a pound of flesh, we're crossing a dangerous line.

DK, have you gone off and joined the ACLU when I wasn't looking? :D

Got news for you IMUS should be Fired now. I just heard the two week slap on his hands is not until next monday.
We had a situation out here where one of the disc jockeys made fun of Alou the Giants Manager at the time. The DJ was fired along with the program manager and the Producer who was working at the time. Of course this was an is the Giants Flagship station. But still Imus stepped over the bounds.
I look at it like this. If I was over heard at work making a comment about one of the female co-workers I would be fired even though I was using my Freedom of speech.

No, he shouldn't be fired. Let the sponsorers decide if they still want to sponsor him. If he loses all of the advertising, during his slot, and is no longer bringing in money, then he should be fired.

It was a stupid thing for him to say.

I guess he will need to kiss Jesse Jacksons *advertiser censored* now, and enter rehab in 5....4...3...2...1...

Anybody else watch Southpark?

Got news for you IMUS should be Fired now. I just heard the two week slap on his hands is not until next monday.
We had a situation out here where one of the disc jockeys made fun of Alou the Giants Manager at the time. The DJ was fired along with the program manager and the Producer who was working at the time. Of course this was an is the Giants Flagship station. But still Imus stepped over the bounds.
I look at it like this. If I was over heard at work making a comment about one of the female co-workers I would be fired even though I was using my Freedom of speech.

But your job isn't to be shocking, is it? I mean, that's the man's job description. I agree with the suspension.

Along the same lines, did Limbaugh get suspended for making fun of Michael J. Fox? I thought that was horrible. Just a terrible thing to do.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OwlEyes
Back