Thread: PA - Lenhartsville - WhtFem 179UFPA, 25-45, Shallow Grave in Soybean Field, Jun'92

PA - Lenhartsville - WhtFem 179UFPA, 25-45, Shallow Grave in Soybean Field, Jun'92

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/...ernadette.html

Bernadette M. Stevenson Caruso

Top Row and Bottom Left: Bernadette, circa 1986;
    Bottom Right: Age-progression to an unknown age

Vital Statistics at Time of Disappearance

Missing Since: September 27, 1986 from Baltimore County, Maryland
    Classification: Endangered Missing
    Date Of Birth: July 2, 1963
    Height and Weight: 5'4, 190 pounds
    Distinguishing Characteristics: Caucasian female. Brown/blonde hair, green eyes. Bernadette has a mole on her left cheek. Her ears are pierced.
    Clothing/Jewelry Description: A black tank dress over a pink tank top, a pink belt, sheer pantyhose, pink flat shoes, a pink cotton jacket, and possibly small earrings, a gold necklace and a wristwatch which was either gold with a small band, or had a Mickey Mouse face.

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/179ufpa.html

Unidentified White Female

Located on June 3, 1992 in Lenhartsville, Berks County, Pennsylvania.
    Investigators believe that the body was buried between June 1, 1991 and June 3, 1992.
    The cause of death has not been determined however, foul play is suspected due to circumstances surrounding the recovery of the body.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Vital Statistics

Estimated age: 40 - 45 years old
    Approximate Height and Weight: 5'0"-5'3"; 120 lbs.
    Distinguishing Characteristics: Brown hair.
    Dentals: Available. She had severe periodontal disease.
    Clothing: A black sweater-dress with a white belt, pantyhose, an orange colored plastic watch and a plastic broach pin in the shape of a dolphin.
    Fingerprints: Not Available.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Case History
    The skeletal remains of this victim was discovered buried in a shallow grave on June 3, 1992. The body was discovered in a soybean field, which is located near Christman Road in Lenhartsville, Berks County Pennsylvania

I was wondering if anyone ever looked at these women?
    I know the age is off and the date . They state circumstances surrounding the recovery of the body? What that means I do not know.

Regarding Bernadette

Details of Disappearance

Bernadette was last seen leaving Shaw's Jewelry Store in the Eastpoint Mall in northeastern Baltimore County, Maryland on September 27, 1986. Caruso had completed her work shift at the jewelry store and was seen entering her car in the mall's parking lot at approximately 5:05 p.m. that day. She had told a co-worker that her estranged husband, Michael Caruso, had called her and she was going to meet him to discuss something. Caruso has never been heard from again. She was supposed to call a friend later that day, but never did. Her vehicle, a gray/green 1982 Chevrolet Cavalier with Maryland license tags numbered FYW-097, has never been recovered. Bernadette was carrying a bag containing a pink and black jacket at the time of her disappearance.
    Bernadette was separated from Michael, a Baltimore County police officer, at the time of her disappearance. They were involved in a bitter custody battle over their three-year-old daughter. Their daughter was spending the weekend with relatives on the day Bernadette vanished. Michael was later fired from the police department after being convicted of abusing a prisoner. Witnesses report that he often threatened his wife. He has not been charged in her case, however, nor has he or anyone else been named as a suspect.

Foul play is suspected in Bernadette's disappearance due to the circumstances involved. Her loved ones describe her disappearance as uncharacteristic of her and they believe she came to harm. Caruso resided in the 4000 block of Rustico Road in Carrollwood, Maryland in 1986. Her case remains unsolved.

Investigating Agency
    If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:
    Baltimore County Police Department
    410-887-3943
    OR
    Maryland State Police
    410-486-3101
    So it looks like I won't be taking her husbands word for what she was wearing last.Also one more thing I think Periodontal disease is not neglect it is just that ,a gum disease.
    Last edited by CarlK90245; 03-15-2013 at 02:44 AM. Reason: add

Southwestern Maine is home but I'm not there nearly often enough
    Quote Originally Posted by ihadcabinfever View Post
    They state circumstances surrounding the recovery of the body? What that means I do not know.
    Perhaps it simply means that a body found buried in a suspicious location is a pretty good indication that foul play was involved.

Bernadette Caruso https://www.findthemissing.org/cases/1816/1/

The Pennsylvania Jane Doe
    http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/179ufpa.html
    https://identifyus.org/cases/1012

While plowing his field a farmer unearthed remains of a skeletonized body that had been buried in a shallow grave. It was determined the body had been there for at least one year. An exact cause of death was unable to be determined. Numerous bones of lower extremity and neck were never recovered.
    Wonder why the farmer didn't discover the body the previous year if it was buried in a shallow grave in a field at least for an year? Presumably he plowed his field the year before, and the year before that.

I seriously doubt this is a match. Bernadette disappered in 1986 under circumstances that appeared as though she met foul play within 24 hours.

I don't see how she would have gone unnoticed by the farmer for 6 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Donjeta View Post
    Wonder why the farmer didn't discover the body the previous year if it was buried in a shallow grave in a field at least for an year? Presumably he plowed his field the year before, and the year before that.
    Farmers often rotate their crops and leave a different field fallow each year. The farmer may not have plowed that field for more than a year.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to TechWriter797 For This Useful Post:

Uid PA woman

I'm a newbie, so please forgive me. That's near Kutztown State College, Reading and up the road from Harrisburg. What did the Law Enforcement rule out so far? Thanks!

I hope that someone at least ruled out Brenda Condon based on proximity (44 minutes away) and general timeframe (1 year from disappearance to discovery)

Does anyone know if there is a NamUs profile for this Jane Doe?

Brenda: http://www.brendacondon.com/
    Last edited by traacker13; 05-02-2012 at 09:45 PM.

Sorry, if you have submitted Brenda. I've just submitted her without realising this thread was here.

Some drug acquaintances of her boyfriend are only 13 minutes away... not insinuating anything, just pointing out that there is a connection to the area our IUD was found in.

Here is the list of ruleouts for this UID:

Katherine Heckel
    Elaine Johnson
    Hazel Klug
    Gloria Korzon
    Tracy Kroh
    Ella Beth Lodermeier
    Barbara Miller
    Patricia Schmidt
    Karen Spencer
    Charlene Villinger
    Rose West

Last Updated August 21, 2012

https://identifyus.org/cases/1012

Quote Originally Posted by DippyBlonder View Post
    Sorry, if you have submitted Brenda. I've just submitted her without realising this thread was here.

Some drug acquaintances of her boyfriend are only 13 minutes away... not insinuating anything, just pointing out that there is a connection to the area our IUD was found in.
    And Brenda isn't on the ruleout list... You would think that they would have tried to make some kind of connection between the two, BUT I have seen plenty of times where LE did not. I actually submitted a case in Ohio that ended up being a match and they proxmity between where the guy was from compared to where he was from was only 20 miles.... He went missing in 1988and I made the connection last year.. The detective called and thanked me, but when they did the write up in the local Cleveland Newspaper, they took all the credit!!!

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chaddylex For This Useful Post:

Often, what you see as rule-outs for unidentified in NamUs are only NamUs rule-outs, possible matches generated by NamUs and ruled-out. They don't include all of the possible matches sent to LE over the years.

Just received a response from Namus, this is NOT Brenda.

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DippyBlonder For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by CCJD View Post
    Often, what you see as rule-outs for unidentified in NamUs are only NamUs rule-outs, possible matches generated by NamUs and ruled-out. They don't include all of the possible matches sent to LE over the years.
    Yes I do know that, but I also know of some cases where LE will go onto the NamUs profile and add rule outs that they have made without NamUs's help. (DNA etc)