1241 users online (194 members and 1047 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

TN - Teacher thwarts abduction of her student

http://knoxnews.com/kns/local_news/a...474798,00.html

This is in Tennessee....

Anderson County school officials said a teacher put herself in harm's way when a dad who had earlier lost custody of his son tried to kidnap the 6-year-old boy last week.
    Allison Cornell engaged in a brief tug-of-war with the distraught father and later picked the child up and ran from the man in the incident at Claxton Elementary.

After she slipped and fell on the school's lawn, Cornell wrapped her arms around the boy and covered him with her body as the would-be abductor tried to pull him from her.

"I was yelling that he couldn't take him," said Cornell, a teacher at Claxton for 11 years. "It was the scariest thing that's ever happened to me. I was freaking out."

Minutes before the alleged kidnap attempt, the dad had bolted out of Anderson County Juvenile Court after being ordered to undergo a drug screen.

Much more at link.....

Kudos to this teacher and other faculty who kept this child safe.
    You put the light in me...

Kudos to the teacher and staff for a job well done.
    What I wonder is how the dad got into the school? Aren't school doors locked these days and staff has to buzz everyone in? If not they should be, too much could happen.
    ~JMO~

A grandfather is someone with silver in his hair and gold in his heart. ~Author Unknown

Long Lost Love - Discovery ID - Disappeared - Bob Harrod Case

You can now purchase Mr. Harrod's Disappeared episode through Amazon, iTunes or YouTube.

Quote Originally Posted by Cubby View Post
    Kudos to the teacher and staff for a job well done.
    What I wonder is how the dad got into the school? Aren't school doors locked these days and staff has to buzz everyone in? If not they should be, too much could happen.
    ARE they all locked?

well done Allison Cornell.

Quote Originally Posted by Floh View Post
    ARE they all locked?

well done Allison Cornell.
    Definitely not where I live! You can go in any door, walk into any classroom where my kids go..... we live in a small school district, though - I think the larger school districts have tougher security. What a courageous teacher!

They only require a person to go to the office and check in where I live. I did make a point of leaving the school office a letter stating who was and who wasn't allowed to pick up my children. To this day (my daughter is a junior in high school) I have to send a note to the office stating who will pick her up and they have to show a valid I.D. I guess if someone really wanted to get in the these schools they would find a way.

God bless this teacher.

Smile

Hooray for her! Great job! Nevermind all of the gobbldygook they teach you in college about teaching- she went above and beyond the call of duty and prevented a disaster.

she deserves the key to the city!

MG

hipmamajen is offline I love the friends I have gathered together on this thin raft...
    That's so GREAT! I'm happy to hear this.
    Just thinkin' out loud....

She is a hero. I hope she is commended.

hipmamajen is offline I love the friends I have gathered together on this thin raft...
    Oops, double posted. I'm a dork!

Quote Originally Posted by hipmamajen View Post
    Oops, double posted. I'm a dork!
    Not at all, it was worth seeing twice!

When my son started 1st grade, I grabbed the teacher's arm and growled, "You take care of my baby" and she knew I meant it. I feel like if I leave my child there, they better put him first. I'm sure I am known as that "crazy lady", but I think they are a little afraid of me.

Quote Originally Posted by Garnan View Post
    Not at all, it was worth seeing twice!

When my son started 1st grade, I grabbed the teacher's arm and growled, "You take care of my baby" and she knew I meant it. I feel like if I leave my child there, they better put him first. I'm sure I am known as that "crazy lady", but I think they are a little afraid of me.

My grandmother used to say "It's the squeaky wheel that gets the grease!"

About school security - it is requested that you go to the office for a sticker - but to get TO the office, you have to actually pass all the classrooms full of unlocked doors and many unsupervised children... including a handful on the court next to the parking lot and road...

Safe? Not in this lifetime.
    FUN... is a renewable resource!

Way to go Teach...

this could have turned out so badly.

How many stories have we read where the Dad kills
    the child to get back at Mum and the system.

I hope Allison Cornell is recommended for a Bravery award.

She deserves it.

[QUOTE
    About school security - it is requested that you go to the office for a sticker - but to get TO the office, you have to actually pass all the classrooms full of unlocked doors and many unsupervised children... QUOTE]

UNLOCKED?!?! UH, UH! Not mine. I drove EVERYBODY crazy keeping my door locked when I taught. Deal is, ya hafta go into the hall to lock the door from the outside. Call me crazy, but if there's a school shooting, I wasn't gonna go out there to lock the door! My door was ALWAYS locked. I had students who thanked me for it all the time. They felt safer. (On a side note, I once had a parent assault a child--not hers--in the hall. I was able to get between them, shove the girl in my room, back in after her, and get the door closed. Since it was already locked--no problem. Security found her 10 minutes later roaming the school. FYI: She was an ex-con who spent 7 years in prison for shooting someone.)

Quote Originally Posted by Floh View Post
    ARE they all locked?
    Lord, I hope NOT.
    I do not intend to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death!

Quote Originally Posted by Pandora View Post
    (On a side note, I once had a parent assault a child--not hers--in the hall. I was able to get between them, shove the girl in my room, back in after her, and get the door closed. Since it was already locked--no problem. Security found her 10 minutes later roaming the school. FYI: She was an ex-con who spent 7 years in prison for shooting someone.)
    Yikes!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast