650 users online (86 members and 564 guests)  


Websleuths News


Page 1 of 21 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 302
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    heaven bound
    Posts
    4,829

    "White Privilege Conference" In Colorado?

    White people, you're privileged, and guilty, guilty, guilty of oppressing disadvantaged minorities. Denial only makes things worse.
    This is the message currently emanating from the Seattle School District. Never mind that this dubious construct undercuts needed emphasis on minority student achievement.
    District officials this month are sending students from four high schools to an annual "White Privilege Conference" in Colorado. The conference is billed as an "opportunity to examine and explore difficult issues related to white privilege, white supremacy and oppression" "a challenging, empowering and educational experience."
    The conference has little to do with mastering reading, writing, math and science; or with graduating from high school and keeping one's head above water in college. Those are the lessons high-school students should be learning, not that they will be given social promotions in the name of equity and inclusion. (more at link)
    http://www.netscape.com/viewstory/20...tml&frame=true


    I am so sick and tired of this "white privelege" crap. How are us whites privelged in a world today where we are constantly being asked to pay and apologize for events that happened in the past that we had absolutely NO control over?
    How are we still "oppressing disadvantaged minorities?" And why do we never hear about all the "disadvantaged" WHITE people that exist in this world?
    I am SO SO SO sick of this. Stuff like this is what keeps racism alive and strong IMO. Everytime I talk to a racist white person, and ask them why they are racist, comments like those above are the exact reason they give.
    I'm not racist, but the comments do make me angry and I wonder how long we'll have to keep paying for the past.
    And I can guarentee you my children would never attend a conference like that. The writer of this article was 100% correct when he said "The conference has little to do with mastering reading, writing, math and science; or with graduating from high school and keeping one's head above water in college. Those are the lessons high-school students should be learning, not that they will be given social promotions in the name of equity and inclusion."

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    2,842
    From the conference's website:

    "This conference is not about beating up on white folks. This conference is about critically examining the society in which we live and working to dismantle systems of power, prejudice, privilege and oppression. "

    http://www.uccs.edu/~wpc/

    I don't have a problem with this at all.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    heaven bound
    Posts
    4,829
    Quote Originally Posted by Masterj View Post
    From the conference's website:

    "This conference is not about beating up on white folks. This conference is about critically examining the society in which we live and working to dismantle systems of power, prejudice, privilege and oppression. "

    http://www.uccs.edu/~wpc/

    I don't have a problem with this at all.

    If it's not about "beating up on white folks" couldn't they have come up with a better title for the conference?

    What about the statement of "working to dismantle systems of prejudice?" Are there not prejudiced black people out there? Why is racism STILL being contributed mostly only to white people?
    There are alot of black people out there living in mansions in and driving brand new SUV's...are they not more priveleged than me, a regular white girl who lives in a regular sized house and drives a 12 year old car that's on it's last legs but I can't afford to get another one?
    I think this conference is directed to us whites only, when they should be working to dismantle these "systems of prejudice" against EVERYONE.
    Where and when will we see a "Black Privelege Conference?"

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    2,842
    Do you even realize that black men and women make less money than white men and women? Or that black people are often pulled over when they are driving nice cars simply because they are black?

    I don't particularly care for the name of the conference but if you don't think whites are more priveleged than blacks than you must not be paying too close attention to what goes on in the world.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Southern New Jersey
    Posts
    736
    Quote Originally Posted by Masterj View Post
    I don't particularly care for the name of the conference but if you don't think whites are more priveleged than blacks than you must not be paying too close attention to what goes on in the world.

    I don't think that statement is true all over and things like this shouldn't be generalized. I can tell you for a fact that where I come from, MEN get paid more than WOMEN regardless of color. A Black Man makes more than a White Woman. Your AGE and type of car is why you are pulled over. I have seen black workers get away with poor behavior while white workers are scrutinized. I really think that everything should be EQUAL. The color of your skin shouldn't matter. If you're speeding, you should be pulled over regardless of your age, your race, your car, etc. Everyone with the same education or experience level should make the same money. Unfortunately, black people are no longer the real oppressed minority. Whites oppressed blacks. Blacks now oppress Latinos, who oppress Mexicans... See the problem? Needless to say, its not all "whitey's" fault anymore...

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    heaven bound
    Posts
    4,829
    Quote Originally Posted by Masterj View Post
    Do you even realize that black men and women make less money than white men and women? Or that black people are often pulled over when they are driving nice cars simply because they are black?

    I don't particularly care for the name of the conference but if you don't think whites are more priveleged than blacks than you must not be paying too close attention to what goes on in the world.

    Well hey guess what? Last year I got lost here in GA and I was pulled over simply because I was in a bad neighborhood, therefore the cops assumed I was looking for drugs.
    Things like that happen to everyone, not just black people!
    I hope I am not sounding prejudiced here, because I am NOT, but I do feel that things like racism and stereotyping are a part of every racial group, but I feel like it is mostly seen as something that us white people do to others.
    And things like them calling the conference "White Privelege" only adds more gas to the fire.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    2,968
    i'm 'offended' and 'outraged' by this. i DEMAND a public apology!! when and where can we start rioting, burning, and looting...???

    WR, you are absolutely correct.. this is the only country where whites can be 'hated on', put down and discriminated against by blacks.. harrassed, threatened, injured and even murdered (but we're not allowed to call it a 'hate crime', because only the evil whites can be guilty of hate crimes.). but somehow the poor blacks and everyone else with brown skin are sooooooo oppressed. please. i saw FAR more oppression and outright hatred in broad daylight.. discrimination, physical attacks, etc etc,, against whites, while living in a black majority city. there was the worse and the purest, most blatant RACISM i have ever seen in my life. and they would get away with it every day. but, we're not allowed to talk about this publicly in america,, only the poor, poor blacks are the innocent, oppressed victims.......... ha, yeah right. and then the media jumps on every little thing to inflame blacks even more... "tonight we're talking about racism in america"... but never, ever, EVER EVER EVER is the topic of racial hatred against whites EVER discussed!!! he double-standard in this country has gotten WAY out of hand and beyond the point of sickening. when can we start being TRULY honest here? i'm still waiting for the day.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    2,968
    masterj, it's not "simply" because they are black. first of all, a lot of that is a myth. i'm sure half the blacks who get pulled over think "oh i just got pulled over cause i'm black." but much of the time this is just another 'oppression' fantasy. as in, NO, you got pulled over because you had an expired sticker, or you have a taillight out, or because it was just your unlucky day. for your information, last time i checked, ALL KINDS OF PEOPLE get pulled over, on a regtular basis! so, the next time I get picked on by a cop, i guess i'm gonna play the "oh, i got pulled over just cause i'm a female!" card.

    second of all, there are still situations where cops might actually BE targeting them... and if so, gee, i wonder why?? if so many blacks weren't involved with drugs and crime on a regular basis, then maybe some cops wouldn't be targeting them some of the time. hmmm.. let's see,, i wonder how that homeboy with the pimped-out rig and the gold teeth & chains was able to afford that mercedes?? duhh,,, how, do you think?? by working really hard at his office job? yeah, right!! again, can we be real and honest here??? the ODDS ARE, that homeboy made his money off drugs & crime, don'tcha think? so they ODDS ARE that the cop is gonna hit paydirt by pulling homeboy over. if they would break there own stereotypes more often, then the stereotypes wouldn't be so painfully accurate.

    again, if i was a black person who fought hard for civil rights back in the 50's & 60's, i would be utterly heartbroken at what we are seeing today.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    1,299
    You know, I do hear your point, and I am going off on a side tangent. But as a white girl, I know I get cut some slack. If a cop catches me doing something wrong, I can probably smile and get out of it. They're willing to hear my side of the story. At the same time, I get NO respect! People try to pull **** on me all the time. (Less so as I get older.) I have this fantasy of being like the Incredible Hulk. One minute I'm lame white girl, and you allow me into your store. But you piss me off, I turn into big, intimidating black man, and you'd BETTER open another checkout aisle!! Only in my movie version, Lame White Girl and Big Black Man actually are two separate people, forced to share one body.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    heaven bound
    Posts
    4,829
    Quote Originally Posted by T-Rex View Post
    You know, I do hear your point, and I am going off on a side tangent. But as a white girl, I know I get cut some slack. If a cop catches me doing something wrong, I can probably smile and get out of it. They're willing to hear my side of the story. At the same time, I get NO respect! People try to pull **** on me all the time. (Less so as I get older.) I have this fantasy of being like the Incredible Hulk. One minute I'm lame white girl, and you allow me into your store. But you piss me off, I turn into big, intimidating black man, and you'd BETTER open another checkout aisle!! Only in my movie version, Lame White Girl and Big Black Man actually are two separate people, forced to share one body.

    I've got a lead foot, and have had enough tickets to prove it. I'm a white girl with a pretty smile and it has never ONCE gotten me out of a ticket. And believe me, I've tried.


  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    heaven bound
    Posts
    4,829
    When I was in 9th grade my Algebra teacher (female) called my dad in for a conference and said that a friend and I were talking too much, and when I asked her why she called us out for talking but never said one thing to a group of three black guys that not only talked alot, but loudly as well she looked directly at my father and said (and I'll put a hand on the bible to swear on this) "Well these are three BIG, BLACK guys, and I'm not about to say anything to them."

    Oh My God it must be that WHITE PRIVELEGE thing again...I'm priveleged enough not to be black and big so I can get myself noticed when I'm misbehaving in class. Oh yeah, I'm so priveleged.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    1,074
    Quote Originally Posted by reb View Post
    masterj, it's not "simply" because they are black. first of all, a lot of that is a myth. i'm sure half the blacks who get pulled over think "oh i just got pulled over cause i'm black." but much of the time this is just another 'oppression' fantasy. as in, NO, you got pulled over because you had an expired sticker, or you have a taillight out, or because it was just your unlucky day. for your information, last time i checked, ALL KINDS OF PEOPLE get pulled over, on a regtular basis! so, the next time I get picked on by a cop, i guess i'm gonna play the "oh, i got pulled over just cause i'm a female!" card.

    second of all, there are still situations where cops might actually BE targeting them... and if so, gee, i wonder why?? if so many blacks weren't involved with drugs and crime on a regular basis, then maybe some cops wouldn't be targeting them some of the time. hmmm.. let's see,, i wonder how that homeboy with the pimped-out rig and the gold teeth & chains was able to afford that mercedes?? duhh,,, how, do you think?? by working really hard at his office job? yeah, right!! again, can we be real and honest here??? the ODDS ARE, that homeboy made his money off drugs & crime, don'tcha think? so they ODDS ARE that the cop is gonna hit paydirt by pulling homeboy over. if they would break there own stereotypes more often, then the stereotypes wouldn't be so painfully accurate.

    again, if i was a black person who fought hard for civil rights back in the 50's & 60's, i would be utterly heartbroken at what we are seeing today.

    DWB--Driving While Black...yes it does exist, I've seen it over and over again.

    Tell me...how do we break these painfully accurate stereotypes?? I guess it's okay for white kids to drive mercedes, and have gold teeth and chains. What... is assumed their parents paid for it because their white??? I know many with gold teeth, nice houses, and more expensive cars than mercedes...and oh wow their black and they actually work.

    I would imagine many who fought for civil rights are heartbroken....here it is 40 years later and people are still judged by the color of their skin...very sad indeed.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    3,288
    Wow-this thread should be titled "Crash 2"

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    heaven bound
    Posts
    4,829
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheetah View Post
    DWB--Driving While Black...yes it does exist, I've seen it over and over again.

    Tell me...how do we break these painfully accurate stereotypes?? I guess it's okay for white kids to drive mercedes, and have gold teeth and chains. What... is assumed their parents paid for it because their white??? I know many with gold teeth, nice houses, and more expensive cars than mercedes...and oh wow their black and they actually work.

    I would imagine many who fought for civil rights are heartbroken....here it is 40 years later and people are still judged by the color of their skin...very sad indeed.

    Why do we have to assume that they were pulled over simply because they were black?
    Isn't this kind of the same assumption as saying that just because we're white we're priveleged?

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    2,842
    Quote Originally Posted by MissieMt View Post
    Wow-this thread should be titled "Crash 2"
    Seriously.

Page 1 of 21 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast


Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 79
    Last Post: 05-30-2013, 03:05 PM
  2. Replies: 66
    Last Post: 11-06-2011, 02:11 AM