MSNBC to Imus: You're FIRED!

Liz

I am not a chemist and this is not my 1st rodeo
Reaction score
See the Drudge report or any other up to date news source.

I'm having mixed feelings about Imus getting axed.

MSNBC said Wednesday it will drop its simulcast of the "Imus in the Morning" radio program, responding to growing outrage about the radio host's racial slur against the Rutgers women's basketball team.
"This decision comes as a result of an ongoing review process, which initially included the announcement of a suspension. It also takes into account many conversations with our own employees," NBC news said in a statement.

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20070412/D8OEP84G0.html

Oh. and this from some time ago. i have never felt his charity solely benefited sick children:

http://money.cnn.com/2005/03/24/news/newsmakers/imus/

That is wrong, the man made a mistake and he apologized. If he didnt apologize I could see it but what else can the man do. :behindbar

Perhaps this could be merged into the other Don Imus thread.

Should it, though? this is a whole new ball game, IMO.

Well, that's up for the mods to decide. It's the same week, same issue pretty much. Him getting fired from MSNBC doesn't bother me. I don't watch MSNBC and I don't listen to him.

So now that Sharpton and Jackson got half of what they wanted, what next? Are they going to try to ruin this guy's credit rating? Are they going to put sugar in his gas tank?

Well, that's up for the mods to decide. It's the same week, same issue pretty much. Him getting fired from MSNBC doesn't bother me. I don't watch MSNBC and I don't listen to him.

So now that Sharpton and Jackson got half of what they wanted, what next? Are they going to try to ruin this guy's credit rating? Are they going to put sugar in his gas tank?
I agree, they probably want the man lynched.
He has apologized , people need to learn to let things go.

This is about money....the advertisers left.

It may come as a surprise but TV and Radio networks don't get one dime from us listening or watching. It's all advertising dollars and when the advertisers speak, the networks listen. Had the advertisers not pulled out, he would be on the air after his two week suspension.

I never cared for his show and his comments were just stupid arrogance, much of what I have seen from his show previously. Plus, I never liked the long haired corpse in a cowboy hat look myself.

Anyway, that's that. Sharpton the and Jesse Jackson the super have taken out another whitey.

I'm all for equality and wouldn't ever treat another person with disrespect because of their race. But I am really just sick of the double standard that is allowed in this country where blacks can call whites what they want because they have been oppressed....... I drive to work and I am in a minority with many of the blacks around me driving much nicer cars than I am. They aren't oppressed and it is time that they get on with their lives and quit using the black crutch. The problem is that many cannot or will not and have to rely on it. You think Jesse Jackson could survive a day at my company? Think not.

Cal

It may come as a surprise but TV and Radio networks don't get one dime from us listening or watching. It's all advertising dollars and when the advertisers speak, the networks listen. Had the advertisers not pulled out, he would be on the air after his two week suspension.

I never cared for his show and his comments were just stupid arrogance, much of what I have seen from his show previously. Plus, I never liked the long haired corpse in a cowboy hat look myself.

Anyway, that's that. Sharpton the and Jesse Jackson the super have taken out another whitey.

I'm all for equality and wouldn't ever treat another person with disrespect because of their race. But I am really just sick of the double standard that is allowed in this country where blacks can call whites what they want because they have been oppressed....... I drive to work and I am in a minority with many of the blacks around me driving much nicer cars than I am. They aren't oppressed and it is time that they get on with their lives and quit using the black crutch. The problem is that many cannot or will not and have to rely on it. You think Jesse Jackson could survive a day at my company? Think not.

Cal

I agree with much of what you say. However, I'm appalled by your choice of words - such as "whitey", Sharpton the , ______super , etc.

You say you would not not treat an Afro-American with disrespect, but then you go on to imply that one would "not survive a day a my company".

I don't believe in reparations, but you sound a wee, tad discriminatory to me. :(

edited to add - you're probably right about the advertising - I hadn't thought of that; I've been just barely following this story.

That is wrong, the man made a mistake and he apologized. If he didnt apologize I could see it but what else can the man do. :behindbar

I agree with you; I think people should get a second chance if they are remorseful and apologize. (just like Miss USA! lol). Look at Mel Gibson and Russell Crowe - they're on their 3rd and 4th "mistakes" by now, and they're not even talk-show hosts.

As Cal pointed out, it may just be the advertising support.

It could be that another network will pick him up; who knows.

Total BS!! Where are Rev Al and Jesse when it comes to the lying stripper and the Duke LAX team??? Hypocrites!!

I agree, they probably want the man lynched.
He has apologized , people need to learn to let things go.

I don't think he should be fired. Yes, what he said was wrong (although I feel like being a smart *ss and asking about his freedom of speech, but I don't really feel like being lynched this morning). I mean Bill OReilly didn't lose his job for saying what he did about Shawn Hornbeck (and he still hasn't apologized). Guess he would have if Shawn wasn't white or if it was a group of women. People really do need to let things go. Worse has been said with no reprimands.... I'm so tired of one group getting away with crap and whining when they don't while the other group has to play nice.

I agree with you; I think people should get a second chance if they are remorseful and apologize. (just like Miss USA! lol). Look at Mel Gibson and Russell Crowe - they're on their 3rd and 4th "mistakes" by now, and they're not even talk-show hosts.

As Cal pointed out, it may just be the advertising support.

It could be that another network will pick him up; who knows.

I hope another network does pick him up. I don't listen to him, didn't even know who he was but I hate the hipocrisy in all of this.

Total BS!! Where are Rev Al and Jesse when it comes to the lying stripper and the Duke LAX team??? Hypocrites!!

Ahhh.... selective support. She doesn't make them look good so they overlook her. Don't you know how it works Miimaa?!? :sick:

I agree with much of what you say. However, I'm appalled by your choice of words - such as "whitey", Sharpton the , ______super , etc.

You say you would not not treat an Afro-American with disrespect, but then you go on to imply that one would "not survive a day a my company".

I don't believe in reparations, but you sound a wee, tad discriminatory to me. :(

edited to add - you're probably right about the advertising - I hadn't thought of that; I've been just barely following this story.

But Martha, Cal seems to be saying he doesn't respect 2 particular PEOPLE, Sharpton and Jackson, and that they would not survive at his company. They happen to be African American. Discriminatory? No - discerning. We each get to formulate opinions about individuals - or we used to. It is true about the advertising, but ironically, Imus has been MSNBC's top rated show (=$). Hypocrisy surrounds this whole incident. Cowards abound.

Eve

edited to add: Not that I would speak for Cal!

Cal

The first part I bolded I agree with completely.

As for the second part, do you really think that some blacks having a nicer car than you means they aren't oppressed??? Come on, cal.

Sharpton told Meredith Viera this morning that they (National Action something) were going to have more talks with the music industry now that Imus has been fired.

Who's going to make the first rap song about the I-Mess? Taking bets...

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back