905 users online (143 members and 762 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Ukraine - Valeriy Volodimirovich Nedelyko, 19, Antratsyt, 22 Dec 1975

Valeriy Volodimirovich Nedelyko
    Missing since August 7, 1994 from Antratsyt, Luhansk region, Ukraine
    Classification: Missing

Vital Statistics
    • Date Of Birth: December 22, 1975
    • Age at Time of Disappearance: 19 years old
    • Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 190 cm (6'2'')
    • Distinguishing Characteristics: Dark hair; hazel eyes.
    • Clothing: Light blue jeans, white t-shirt, shorts, brown socks.

Circumstances of Disappearance
    On August 7, 1994 Valeriy left home, and never returned.

Investigators
    If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:
    Antratsyt Police
    06431 3-14-72
    06431 3-10-33 Source Information:
    Ukraine's Ministry of Interior

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases-int/1415dmukr.html

Unidentified White / Native Male
    • Located on September 17, 2001 in Amanda Park, Grays Harbor County, Washington.
    • Date of death is September 16, 2001

Vital Statistics

• Estimated age: 20 - 30 years old
    • Approximate Height and Weight: 6'2"; 140 lbs.
    • Distinguishing Characteristics: Possibly Hispanic. Black hair; hazel eyes. His hair was neatly trimmed. Appendectomy scar on abdomen. He had recently lost a lot of weight (possibly 30-40 pounds). A small mole on the left sid of his chin. He does not have ear lobes, not removed never had them. His appendix scar was old.
    • Dentals: Available. Teeth in near perfect shape. He had orthodontic work done.
    • Clothing: Blue plaid shirt, gray Fruit of the Loom T-shirt, Levi 550 blue jeans (size 36-34), black Timberland boots (size 10 Medium) and a black leather belt.
    • Fingerprints: Available
    • DNA: CODIS
    • Other: It is possible that he spoke with a slight Canadian or similar accent.

Case History
    The body of this white or Native male was located in a Quinault area motel. His death has been ruled a suicide.
    He had checked into the motel using the name "Lyle Stevik" from 1019 S. Progress Avenue, Meridian, Idaho. The address he listed is for a motel. Lyle Stevik is a character in the book You Must Remember This, by Joyce Carol Oates.
    He indicated that he was going to stay a few more days though he had only paid for one evening. The maid entered the room on September 17, 2001 and found him hanging from the coat rack. He had left money on the nightstand with a note that said "For the Room". The only personal belongings in his possession was a tooth brush and paste.
    Fingerprints sent to FBI and RCMP with Negative results.

Investigators
    If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:
    Grays Harbor Sheriff's Department
    Detective Lane Youmans
    360-249-3711 x574
    Agency Case Number:
    01-7870
    NCIC Number:
    U-960002335
    Please refer to this number when contacting any agency with information regarding this case.
    Source Information:
    **Warning! Post-mortem photos contained in link below!
    Missing Persons Gallery
    Child Protection Education of America
    The Daily World
    Websleuths

http://doenetwork.org/cases/233umwa.html

In 2001, Valeriy would be 26 years old, but because "Lyle" died before December, he would be 25 1/2
    Last edited by OkieGranny; 06-11-2016 at 02:56 AM. Reason: update Doe link

Southwestern Maine is home but I'm not there nearly often enough
    There are at least two factors that make me doubt that "Lyle Stevik" could be from Ukraine:

1- He had perfect teeth and from what I've read that's extremely unusual in eastern Europe because they don't (or did not until recently) add fluor to drinking water, contrary to US and Canada.

2- He had a "slight Canadian or similar accent". I don't know what is meant by that because most Canadian people I know have no accent to speak of, but even if they did have one I seriously doubt it would sound anything like a Ukrainian accent.

Also, John Doe seems to have black hair and a black almost "unibrow". (sorry, but what would be the correct term for what I call a unibrow?)

The photo of Valeriy clearly shows earlobes. The UID, "Lyle" never had them....
    He does not have ear lobes, not removed never had them

There are foreign people who can speak English perfectly without an accent

"Lyle Stevik" did not seem to have perfect teeth himself during one point as it says that he had work done- Valeriy could have had dental work done if he is/was still alive past 1994

Appearances can be different varying by photograph. Appearances can also change rapidly at times

Southwestern Maine is home but I'm not there nearly often enough
    "Stevik" had neither cavities nor fillings (they would have mentioned it), they only noticed orthodontic work which is cosmetic rather than repair. No doubt they do use braces in Ukraine by now but when Nedelyko was a teen braces were practically unheard of in the USSR, of which Ukraine was still part at the time.

Look, apart from their height there are few physical similarities between these cases. Sure people can change but they rarely transit from Caucasian to Hispanic, lose earlobes without scarring, grow a unibrow and learn to speak North American English without an accent all at once.

Quote Originally Posted by KarlK View Post
    "Stevik" had neither cavities nor fillings (they would have mentioned it), they only noticed orthodontic work which is cosmetic rather than repair. No doubt they do use braces in Ukraine by now but when Nedelyko was a teen braces were practically unheard of in the USSR, of which Ukraine was still part at the time.

Look, apart from their height there are few physical similarities between these cases. Sure people can change but they rarely transit from Caucasian to Hispanic, lose earlobes without scarring, grow a unibrow and learn to speak North American English without an accent all at once.
    Well a timeline of 7 years is enough to undergo certian changes, I know not all of it can happen at once- it can happen over a span of time

Okay, I am completely new to all this. I clicked on this story because of the name "Stevik", because I am involved in another thread discussing Eastern Europeans.
    I agree with the other posters who say this man is NOT from Ukraine.

My reason is:
    His handwriting in the notes that are pictured on your link.

This man's penmanship is clearly North American.

Europeans have a distinct handwriting, especially if they were schooled in the Eastern European countries where they would have to switch between "Latin" and Cyrillic.

Here's a sample of European handwriting in general:

In this sample, the writer is probably German and the letter is written in Dutch, I think. But this is a good sample of handwriting for ALL WESTERN European countries....someone from France would learn to write very similarly.

Here is a sample of a hand-addressed letter/ envelope sent from Ukraine ---note the penmanship...this is someone trained to write in Cyrillic, and the letter appears to be headed for Kazakhstan.
    Edited to remove the image because it is too large --- click here:
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...kraine1998.jpg

The sample is in Norwegian and it looks like it is a old person who have written it, because we do not write like this anymore here...

Quote Originally Posted by Rindicella View Post
    Okay, I am completely new to all this. I clicked on this story because of the name "Stevik", because I am involved in another thread discussing Eastern Europeans.
    I agree with the other posters who say this man is NOT from Ukraine.

My reason is:
    His handwriting in the notes that are pictured on your link.

This man's penmanship is clearly North American.

Europeans have a distinct handwriting, especially if they were schooled in the Eastern European countries where they would have to switch between "Latin" and Cyrillic.

Here's a sample of European handwriting in general:

In this sample, the writer is probably German and the letter is written in Dutch, I think. But this is a good sample of handwriting for ALL WESTERN European countries....someone from France would learn to write very similarly.
    As has been pointed out, this sample is norwegian - and the writing is in no way representative for "all Western European countries". If given this sample (regardless of language), I would conclude that this is probably a teacher writing, because it's so clear and clean.

Being European, I can tell you that there is all kinds of handwriting around me - clear and messy, left/right/center-oriented, whatever you can think of.

Quote Originally Posted by andrea View Post
    As has been pointed out, this sample is norwegian - and the writing is in no way representative for "all Western European countries". If given this sample (regardless of language), I would conclude that this is probably a teacher writing, because it's so clear and clean.

Being European, I can tell you that there is all kinds of handwriting around me - clear and messy, left/right/center-oriented, whatever you can think of.
    I've had teachers whose writing I had trouble understanding.

About Lyle, is there a handwriting expert out there who could comment about what Lyle's handwriting says about him?

LadyL is offline Sleuthing for Lonzie Barton & All Victims.
    just FYI re the Canadian accent thing:

East Coasters have a very distinct accent
    Quebecers have a very distinct accent
    Northern natives have a very distinct accent
    and the rest of us apparently say 'eh' a lot

the OP would know this as they are from Canada

actually, I've been told by many Americans that I have an accent ... but I just tell them they're the ones who don't pronounce words properly

I have a friend in Texas who's married to a man from Western Canada and she tells me they often can't understand each other, even after many years of marriage

anyway, I don't think these two are a match (& I realize this thread is old) but I'm now wondering whether 'Lyle' could be Canadian

Quote Originally Posted by LadyL View Post
    just FYI re the Canadian accent thing:

East Coasters have a very distinct accent
    Quebecers have a very distinct accent
    Northern natives have a very distinct accent
    and the rest of us apparently say 'eh' a lot

the OP would know this as they are from Canada

actually, I've been told by many Americans that I have an accent ... but I just tell them they're the ones who don't pronounce words properly

I have a friend in Texas who's married to a man from Western Canada and she tells me they often can't understand each other, even after many years of marriage

anyway, I don't think these two are a match (& I realize this thread is old) but I'm now wondering whether 'Lyle' could be Canadian
    To be honest with you, I haven't really traveled outside of British Columbia (except for a few trips to the US and a 3 day vacation to Alberta). I wouldn't recognize any of those accents, really.

I personally see no similarities between the two.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast