www.facebook.com
Valeriy Volodimirovich Nedelyko
Missing since August 7, 1994 from Antratsyt, Luhansk region, Ukraine
Classification: Missing
1415DMUKR.jpg

Vital Statistics
  • Date Of Birth: December 22, 1975
  • Age at Time of Disappearance: 19 years old
  • Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 190 cm (6'2'')
  • Distinguishing Characteristics: Dark hair; hazel eyes.
  • Clothing: Light blue jeans, white t-shirt, shorts, brown socks.

Circumstances of Disappearance
On August 7, 1994 Valeriy left home, and never returned.

Investigators
If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:
Antratsyt Police
06431 3-14-72
06431 3-10-33 Source Information:
Ukraine's Ministry of Interior

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases-int/1415dmukr.html

Unidentified White / Native Male
  • Located on September 17, 2001 in Amanda Park, Grays Harbor County, Washington.
  • Date of death is September 16, 2001

Vital Statistics

• Estimated age: 20 - 30 years old
  • Approximate Height and Weight: 6'2"; 140 lbs.
  • Distinguishing Characteristics: Possibly Hispanic. Black hair; hazel eyes. His hair was neatly trimmed. Appendectomy scar on abdomen. He had recently lost a lot of weight (possibly 30-40 pounds). A small mole on the left sid of his chin. He does not have ear lobes, not removed never had them. His appendix scar was old.
  • Dentals: Available. Teeth in near perfect shape. He had orthodontic work done.
  • Clothing: Blue plaid shirt, gray Fruit of the Loom T-shirt, Levi 550 blue jeans (size 36-34), black Timberland boots (size 10 Medium) and a black leather belt.
  • Fingerprints: Available
  • DNA: CODIS
  • Other: It is possible that he spoke with a slight Canadian or similar accent.

Case History
The body of this white or Native male was located in a Quinault area motel. His death has been ruled a suicide.
He had checked into the motel using the name "Lyle Stevik" from 1019 S. Progress Avenue, Meridian, Idaho. The address he listed is for a motel. Lyle Stevik is a character in the book You Must Remember This, by Joyce Carol Oates.
He indicated that he was going to stay a few more days though he had only paid for one evening. The maid entered the room on September 17, 2001 and found him hanging from the coat rack. He had left money on the nightstand with a note that said "For the Room". The only personal belongings in his possession was a tooth brush and paste.
Fingerprints sent to FBI and RCMP with Negative results.

Investigators
If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:
Grays Harbor Sheriff's Department
Detective Lane Youmans
360-249-3711 x574
Agency Case Number:
01-7870
NCIC Number:
U-960002335
Please refer to this number when contacting any agency with information regarding this case.
Source Information:
**Warning! Post-mortem photos contained in link below!
Missing Persons Gallery
Child Protection Education of America
The Daily World
Websleuths

http://doenetwork.org/cases/233umwa.html

In 2001, Valeriy would be 26 years old, but because "Lyle" died before December, he would be 25 1/2

There are at least two factors that make me doubt that "Lyle Stevik" could be from Ukraine:

1- He had perfect teeth and from what I've read that's extremely unusual in eastern Europe because they don't (or did not until recently) add fluor to drinking water, contrary to US and Canada.

2- He had a "slight Canadian or similar accent". I don't know what is meant by that because most Canadian people I know have no accent to speak of, but even if they did have one I seriously doubt it would sound anything like a Ukrainian accent. :)

Also, John Doe seems to have black hair and a black almost "unibrow". (sorry, but what would be the correct term for what I call a unibrow?)

The photo of Valeriy clearly shows earlobes. The UID, "Lyle" never had them....
He does not have ear lobes, not removed never had them

There are foreign people who can speak English perfectly without an accent

"Lyle Stevik" did not seem to have perfect teeth himself during one point as it says that he had work done- Valeriy could have had dental work done if he is/was still alive past 1994

Appearances can be different varying by photograph. Appearances can also change rapidly at times

"Stevik" had neither cavities nor fillings (they would have mentioned it), they only noticed orthodontic work which is cosmetic rather than repair. No doubt they do use braces in Ukraine by now but when Nedelyko was a teen braces were practically unheard of in the USSR, of which Ukraine was still part at the time.

Look, apart from their height there are few physical similarities between these cases. Sure people can change but they rarely transit from Caucasian to Hispanic, lose earlobes without scarring, grow a unibrow and learn to speak North American English without an accent all at once. ;)

"Stevik" had neither cavities nor fillings (they would have mentioned it), they only noticed orthodontic work which is cosmetic rather than repair. No doubt they do use braces in Ukraine by now but when Nedelyko was a teen braces were practically unheard of in the USSR, of which Ukraine was still part at the time.

Look, apart from their height there are few physical similarities between these cases. Sure people can change but they rarely transit from Caucasian to Hispanic, lose earlobes without scarring, grow a unibrow and learn to speak North American English without an accent all at once. ;)

Well a timeline of 7 years is enough to undergo certian changes, I know not all of it can happen at once- it can happen over a span of time

Okay, I am completely new to all this. I clicked on this story because of the name "Stevik", because I am involved in another thread discussing Eastern Europeans.
I agree with the other posters who say this man is NOT from Ukraine.

My reason is:
His handwriting in the notes that are pictured on your link.

This man's penmanship is clearly North American.

Europeans have a distinct handwriting, especially if they were schooled in the Eastern European countries where they would have to switch between "Latin" and Cyrillic.

Here's a sample of European handwriting in general:
handwriting.jpg

In this sample, the writer is probably German and the letter is written in Dutch, I think. But this is a good sample of handwriting for ALL WESTERN European countries....someone from France would learn to write very similarly.

The sample is in Norwegian and it looks like it is a old person who have written it, because we do not write like this anymore here...

Okay, I am completely new to all this. I clicked on this story because of the name "Stevik", because I am involved in another thread discussing Eastern Europeans.
I agree with the other posters who say this man is NOT from Ukraine.

My reason is:
His handwriting in the notes that are pictured on your link.

This man's penmanship is clearly North American.

Europeans have a distinct handwriting, especially if they were schooled in the Eastern European countries where they would have to switch between "Latin" and Cyrillic.

Here's a sample of European handwriting in general:
handwriting.jpg

In this sample, the writer is probably German and the letter is written in Dutch, I think. But this is a good sample of handwriting for ALL WESTERN European countries....someone from France would learn to write very similarly.

As has been pointed out, this sample is norwegian - and the writing is in no way representative for "all Western European countries". If given this sample (regardless of language), I would conclude that this is probably a teacher writing, because it's so clear and clean.

Being European, I can tell you that there is all kinds of handwriting around me - clear and messy, left/right/center-oriented, whatever you can think of. ;)

As has been pointed out, this sample is norwegian - and the writing is in no way representative for "all Western European countries". If given this sample (regardless of language), I would conclude that this is probably a teacher writing, because it's so clear and clean.

Being European, I can tell you that there is all kinds of handwriting around me - clear and messy, left/right/center-oriented, whatever you can think of. ;)

I've had teachers whose writing I had trouble understanding.

About Lyle, is there a handwriting expert out there who could comment about what Lyle's handwriting says about him?

just FYI re the Canadian accent thing:

East Coasters have a very distinct accent
Quebecers have a very distinct accent
Northern natives have a very distinct accent
and the rest of us apparently say 'eh' a lot :D

the OP would know this as they are from Canada

actually, I've been told by many Americans that I have an accent ... but I just tell them they're the ones who don't pronounce words properly :crazy:

I have a friend in Texas who's married to a man from Western Canada and she tells me they often can't understand each other, even after many years of marriage

anyway, I don't think these two are a match (& I realize this thread is old) but I'm now wondering whether 'Lyle' could be Canadian

just FYI re the Canadian accent thing:

East Coasters have a very distinct accent
Quebecers have a very distinct accent
Northern natives have a very distinct accent
and the rest of us apparently say 'eh' a lot :D

the OP would know this as they are from Canada

actually, I've been told by many Americans that I have an accent ... but I just tell them they're the ones who don't pronounce words properly :crazy:

I have a friend in Texas who's married to a man from Western Canada and she tells me they often can't understand each other, even after many years of marriage

anyway, I don't think these two are a match (& I realize this thread is old) but I'm now wondering whether 'Lyle' could be Canadian

To be honest with you, I haven't really traveled outside of British Columbia (except for a few trips to the US and a 3 day vacation to Alberta). I wouldn't recognize any of those accents, really.

I really question Lyle having a Canadian accent because I don't think your average American can accurately discern one. Most of the Americans I've met think we sound like Bob and Doug Mackenzie. :(

I really question Lyle having a Canadian accent because I don't think your average American can accurately discern one. Most of the Americans I've met think we sound like Bob and Doug Mackenzie. :(

:facepalm:

The power of TV, unfortunately :(

I don't/haven't watched SCTV reruns, but I have an idea of what Bob and Doug sound like.

The power of TV, unfortunately :(

I don't/haven't watched SCTV reruns, but I have an idea of what Bob and Doug sound like.

They sound like the people in the movie Fargo, who are from Minnesota. I believe I suggested Minnesota as a possible home state of Lyle because of this and his clothes.

idk idk

so frustrating

While handwriting varies quite a bit as far as "messy" vs. "neat," there are different cursive systems that are taught--different "fonts" if you will. Different systems predominate in different countries, or come in- and out-of vogue in countries depending on the time period. Probably the best example of differences in cursive "font" that I can think of is with the capital Q. I was taught using the Palmer method, I think, where the capital Q actually looks like the number 2. In other systems, like Zaner-Bloser, it looks more like how it looks when typing: Q. My elementary school years were spent in DoD schools overseas, so I don't know if the Palmer method was standard in US or Canada schools, or if the Palmer method was taught everywhere in Western Europe, or just in DoD schools.

http://expattutor.wordpress.com/201...5-of-25-which-form-of-cursive-should-i-teach/

Handwriting does vary a lot and people have their individual quirks, and I do think that the older you get, the more "set in your ways" you get about handwriting. My college roommate was an Elementary Ed major, and I remember one of her classes actually taught "how to write cursive properly so you can teach it properly" since adult handwriting varies so much and it might confuse the kids, or something like that. I don't know if they still teach that in Ed departments now. (Pro tip I remember her telling me she had learned: Write standing turned half-sideways, not with your face completely to the board, because writing on the board makes your butt shake a bit, and the kids will laugh. I would add: and because if you're busty, you may have issues if you're facing the board full-on. I have accidentally boob-erased part of the board that way. While wearing a white sweater. There's no pretending that didn't just happen when you've got a stripe of black dry-erase marker right across the nips. Try keeping a straight face for the rest of class after that.)

My experience from years of teaching adults is that, in general, male handwriting is much easier to read, and adheres more closely to traditional taught writing, whether print or cursive. Most people think it would be the other way around, with male writing being more sloppy, but it's the opposite. Mostly, I think, because female cursive is more "pretty"--which means is more loopy, so the letters run into each other and are hard to distinguish. And because there's not a girl alive who didn't go through a phase in middle school where you dot all your "i"s with a big puffy heart, and start experimenting with cutesy ways for you and your BFF to spell your names. Some of that hangs over, and means that females are more likely to jazz up their writing by forming letters in unexpected ways where I'm not always sure what that letter is supposed to be, and because of the subject I teach, context doesn't always help. The only trouble I ever have with male writing is that it can get really, really small. But for the most part, it's neat. But that may be because I tend to get a lot of engineer-types in class. Also, I really only get handwriting in an in-class essay exam situation when it's timed and they're under stress, and that exacerbates any handwriting issues.

Anyway, my point after this lengthy treatise is: my limited experience is that male handwriting is less likely to deviate from how it was taught to them in school. So maybe someone with some time on their hands could do some research about what systems were taught in what countries during the time period that "Lyle Stevik" was likely to be in elementary school, and then do some comparisons with the handwriting in the note:

http://www.drawyourworld.com/blog/examples-of-handwriting-styles.html

I was in elementary school from 1996-2003, and I remember being taught the Palmer method. Unfortunately, I don't have my handwriting practice books from Grade 4 and lower in my closet right now.

If he was at least 20, like his dentals suggest, he would have probably been in elementary school from 1986 to 1993.

I just analyzed his handwriting. In the registration form, "LYLE" is not joined but the "TE" in "STEVIK" were joined, "RESS" and "RO" were joined in "PROGRESS", "ME" was joined, unsure about "ID".

"FOR THE ROOM", "F" may or may not be joined, but the letters "OR", "TH" and "RO" were joined. The ones that weren't were "OM" and the letter "E".

Now for the "SUICIDE" note. This was all capitals, and is not consistent with "FOR THE ROOM" or the registration form. It doesn't match his handwriting or that of the desk clerk. All neat block letters and nothing was joined. Who wrote it?! I noticed that it was not included on the images that DN added to his page. Maybe he didn't know how to write it, and asked somebody how it was spelled and they wrote it down?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
okaydandy
Back