Granny (81) goes to jail

JanetElaine

Reaction score
An 81-year-old woman in Great Britain has been jailed for six months for making her neighbours' lives "absolute hell".

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/south_east/6560537.stm

But he [the judge] added: "It seems to me, despite your age and despite your infirmities, you have deliberately, for a period going on for 10 years, made life a misery for your neighbours."

I don't know whether to laugh or frown about this one.

Well, given her repeated anti-social behaviors, I'd say six months is quite reasonable.

BBC article said:
The jury heard how Evans had told the couple's 13-year-old daughter she was a witch and would cast a spell on her family and kill her pet dog.

Angela Casa described several neighbourly disputes, including rows over parking and flooding problems.

This isn't her first conviction with jail time over this. (A suspended sentence counts, she got jail time, but the judge waived it. He shouldn't have, IMO.)

BBC article said:
Mr Webster said that a suspended sentence she was given in 2001 was the only thing she had not breached and had been a "good deterrent".

She has refused to stop her feuding, and more than crossed the line repeatedly. (Calling someone a prostitute is slander, and actionable in court. The woman's reputation probably did take a hit from that old biddy's malicious tongue wagging.)

BBC article said:
She claimed the pensioner called her a prostitute and that she tried to run her off the road on several occasions and had hit her with a walking stick.

She put herself behind bars, by not being reasonable and behaving as a good citizen should.

Could this be senility? She probably belongs in an alzheimer's ward but I would pity the nurses and the other residents if she were placed in one.

Maybe some anti-psychotic drugs would help wherever she ends up.

I would think they'd have looked into whether or not it was senility in the process of the "Asbo" and the previous court proceedings. (Asbo = Anti-social behavior order, I do believe.) I think they do look into mental illness etc. (the defense would) to see if maybe the person should be required to go to counseling/take medicine and maybe be given a bit of a pass as far as how quickly/how much they are expected to remedy things. I am not certain on that, maybe there are some U.K. WSers who could chime in? :confused:

I hope that has been done considering her age and that this behavior started 10 years ago. If she had been this nasty all her life, I probably would not think of senility.

Maybe ten years ago is when those particular neighbors moved into the area?

It does seem that she has been warned many, many times. Her daughter is so upset, but it doesn't say what (if anything) she has done to help her mother. Now, she may have done quite a bit and it just wasn't reported, but has she offered to have her mother stay with her? Had a medical/psych evaluation done?

Can you imagine living next to someone for years who makes your life that difficult? I wonder why they wouldn't just move after a certain point. Their little girl has been living near this scary old lady saying mean things since she was 2 years old!!!

Maybe the woman is frightened of getting old and being alone, and she really doesn't mind the idea of going to jail. Someone will look after her, she'll never be all alone...it's not unheard of.

Curious case.

Well, if they bought the home it might not be so simple. Selling/buying a home can be a red tape NIGHTMARE in parts of the U.K. So, I can see why they wouldn't budge.

Good Lord, this is unbelievable. How in the WORLD can they send someone to jail for just being a nasty person? If they could EVER get away with that in the "good ole U S of A", 99.99999% of the pop would be put in jail!!

It wasn't just being a nasty person. She commited crimes! ETA: Trying to run... a person off the road?! Attempted vehicular homicide! Hitting them with a walking stick?! (Which are often rather heavy, and sturdy.) Assault with intent to cause grievious harm! (ETA: Don't think that stick couldn't have broken bones, even weilded by a granny, because it could have.) This wasn't just a case of "Waaaa, she's got a mean tongue!" this was a case of "That woman is a menace!". :mad:

It wasn't just being a nasty person. She commited crimes! ETA: Trying to run... a person off the road?! Attempted vehicular homicide! Hitting them with a walking stick?! (Which are often rather heavy, and sturdy.) Assault with intent to cause grievious harm!

I didn't see where any of those charges were applied. Just that she was harrassing people and was anti-social.

Re-read the article. The woman had gotten a sentence of jail time prior to this, and the neighbor's testimony in court included accounts of the old woman "trying to run her off the road on more than one occaision" and "hitting her with a walking stick". ETA: Heck, in my first post to this thread I even helpfully included the pertinent excerpts. The old woman put herself in jail, and it is Just that she be there.

Could this be senility? She probably belongs in an alzheimer's ward but I would pity the nurses and the other residents if she were placed in one.

Maybe some anti-psychotic drugs would help wherever she ends up.

A very sad case for all those involved. It's a shame it had to come to the point she had to go to jail. Good Lord. Someone in her family should have intervened long ago.

Gozgals

I would think they'd have looked into whether or not it was senility in the process of the "Asbo" and the previous court proceedings. (Asbo = Anti-social behavior order, I do believe.) I think they do look into mental illness etc. (the defense would) to see if maybe the person should be required to go to counseling/take medicine and maybe be given a bit of a pass as far as how quickly/how much they are expected to remedy things. I am not certain on that, maybe there are some U.K. WSers who could chime in? :confused:

I'll tell ya what, the USA should come up with a form of the ASBO's! Beyond your typical Restraining orders.

Some people are just horrible no matter what age they are

I remember a girlfriend of mine saying to me once- my mother was a tyrant,but now she's old it's like we have to forgive her for all that- not that she did I don't think but her siblings expected her to-

Like the old war crims, should they get off just because they are old..

Some people are just horrible no matter what age they are

I remember a girlfriend of mine saying to me once- my mother was a tyrant,but now she's old it's like we have to forgive her for all that- not that she did I don't think but her siblings expected her to-

Like the old war crims, should they get off just because they are old..

My grandmother used to tell me that there is no such thing as a "grumpy old lady"... if she is grumpy once she is old- she was grumpy when she was young!

My grandmother used to tell me that there is no such thing as a "grumpy old lady"... if she is grumpy once she is old- she was grumpy when she was young!

Yep, that's it Lostgirl.

I felt sorry for my friend, her Mum was a total - she just couldn't forgive her for the way she was treated when she was young..she is maybe a bit of an unforgiving type but she has a point-

I, too, would have wondered about senility or alzheimers onset.....or a possible brain tumour? Not unheard of...is there any info on her medical condition? If she is being this mean and spiteful without provocation or medical condition then perhaps she is where she needs to be for now....

i would love there to be a excuse. i hate to hear of a poor old granny going to jail.... the last few line of the video say they found complaints dating back to the 70s. that must be 1 slow growing brain tumor.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohbeehaave
Back