Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by annie1958 View Post
    I have known the family for years, jayne was in my wedding, they (state police)know who did this but unfortunately so many departments were on the scene and the evidence was contaminated at the Burger Chef and where there found jayne, it is hard to bring charges. A Indiana state police detective admitted this to me and the family years ago. i have faith they will be able to solve this case officially eventually.
    Welcome Annie and I am so sorry for the loss of those you knew to such a violent crime. I wonder if the state police know the whereabouts at least of those who perpetrated the crime-were they locals and are they still there? Are they sitting in a federal pen for other crimes???
    email me

Long Lost Love: The Bob Harrod Story Disappeared/ID Network
    Amazon: Purchase Long Lost Love $1.99

Bob Harrod SAR

The first time someone shows you who they are, believe them.
    ― Maya Angelou

25 year anniversary news link

Here's a link from WTHR 13
    http://www.wthr.com/Global/story.asp?s=1522446&

Burger Chef murders, a 25-year-old mystery

Scott Swan/Eyewitness News

Indianapolis, Nov. 12 - Who did it? Who robbed the Burger Chef restaurant? Who murdered four employees?

"That ended up, as of today, the only unsolved major case in my career." Ken York, former detective with the Indiana State Police, is one of the original investigators on the Burger Chef murder case.

And now, two top investigators are very interested in a video found in the Eyewitness News tape library.

A man walking over to the Burger Chef a few days after the crime was committed is heard saying, "You don't want to take my picture." After peering inside the restaurant, he leaves.

Police are interested for a couple of reasons. On red van there's mud near the driver's door. Investigators think, perhaps a van was used to take the victims to that field in Johnson County.

And York and the Speedway police chief say the man really looks like the "bearded man." They're not calling him a suspect. They're calling him a "person of interest."

They want to know his name, where he lives, what he was doing at the Burger Chef so soon after the murder.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Kimster; 05-01-2011 at 11:09 AM. Reason: snipped for copyright - EXCELLENT article - read the whole thing!

3. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Cilene For This Useful Post:

Burger Chef victims Jayne Freidt, Mark Flemmonds, Ruth Shelton, Daniel Davis

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl...D=999980817006
    Attached Images Attached Images

5. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Cilene For This Useful Post:

Thanks Celine

Quote Originally Posted by Cilene View Post
    And now, two top investigators are very interested in a video found in the Eyewitness News tape library.

A man walking over to the Burger Chef a few days after the crime was committed is heard saying, "You don't want to take my picture." After peering inside the restaurant, he leaves.

Police are interested for a couple of reasons. On red van there's mud near the driver's door. Investigators think, perhaps a van was used to take the victims to that field in Johnson County.

And York and the Speedway police chief say the man really looks like the "bearded man." They're not calling him a suspect. They're calling him a "person of interest."

They want to know his name, where he lives, what he was doing at the Burger Chef so soon after the murder.
    Hmm, I don't suppose that video has been released, has it?

It aired on WTHR 13 news the year of the 25th anniversary. I did not see it but a friend of mine told me the other day that she remembers seeing it. There does not seem to be a link online to the video.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Cilene For This Useful Post:

The Indianapolis Star has an article about the murders. I tried to copy the link but I'm not having much luck.

Try www.indianapolisstar.com

11. The Following User Says Thank You to OilPainter For This Useful Post:

Sad Anniversary

I didn't realize that today was the anniversary date. Thank you for thinking of these young, innocent victims. God be with their families.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cilene For This Useful Post:

Bumping the case.

If a mod could edit the first post and put in some line breaks for those super long lines that are causing side scrolling, that'd be awesome! Thank you.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Fukiyama For This Useful Post:

Our featured Cold Case from 4/24/11 to 4/30/11

May this generate the clue to solve the case!

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kimster For This Useful Post:

I had never heard of this case but it is one that grips the heart that is for sure.

We have had murders in our area from time to time over the years that happened at a fast food place and when the suspect or suspects were caught most all of the time the perps were past employees who would know the layout and know when the trash is usually taken out. Those murders too happened later in the night like these did.

This has to be so terrible for the families to endure for decade after decade Not only have they lost so much ........they have never even seen the perp(s) brought to justice.

I hope one day someone snitches. Someone knows something. It has happened before. I saw a case on A&E where a woman finally told who a murderer was and she had held that secret for 26 years.

Since the victims were killed by different methods I think there was more than one killer. A group of maybe 3.

IMO
    "Pardon Our Noise, It's the Sound of Freedom" USMC New River Air Station, Jacksonville, North Carolina

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to oceanblueeyes For This Useful Post:

I remember this case.
    Speedway Indiana is a small town completely surrounded by the city of Indianapolis. (BTW- the Indianapolis Motor Speedway - home of the 500 - is actually in Speedway, NOT Indianapolis)
    The Indy metro police solved a VERY cold case which happened just a few blocks from the Burger Chef murders. Marion County has a pretty good cold case squad - here's praying they solve this ghastly crime someday soon.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to marycarney For This Useful Post:

Since authorities speculate that several individuals may have been involved in this horrible act, you'd think after all of these years that one of them may have talked about it. I'm referring to a person admitting his involvement to a fellow inmate or someone having too much to drink and bragging in a bar, etc.

A good clue is that the victim's bodies were left some 40 minutes away from the Burger Chef location; as though one or more of the killers knew that area as opposed to somewhere closer to the restaurant.

Another is the theory that one of more of the employees recognized the individuals which led to the incident turning to kidnapping and murder rather than just robbery. Could any of the family members of the victims been able to indicate those people the deceased may have known who may have had previous trouble with the law, etc.?

This is a back-to-back reply here, but in reading the story of the incident, I've been wondering about the assistant manager's car being found away from the restaurant. The initial report indicated it was a block and one-half from the police station. How far was that from the restaurant? Was this vehicle initially taken and then ran out of gas, broke down or otherwise have become undriveable? Was it ever checked to determine if it was driveable or not? Was the vehicle checked for finger prints, blood or similar evidence? Who had driven it to that location - the assistant manager or one of the abductors? It's interesting to read that the driver's side door of the car was locked, but the passenger side was unlocked. Could the assistant manager have used it to try and escape and alert the police only to have been overtaken, stopped and taken by the killers? Could those responsible have used that vehilce to transport the victims and then driven it back to town and just abandoned it there? A lot of questions. What are the answers?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast