N.C. Teenager Kills Himself After Threatening Fellow High School Students at Gunpoint

Beyond Belief

Reaction score
HUNTERSVILLE, N.C. — A teenager shot and killed himself Wednesday shortly after pointing a handgun at two other students in a high school parking lot, police said.
Schools in Huntersville were locked down after the 16-year-old, whose name wasn't released, made threatening gestures in a parking lot at North Mecklenburg High School, police said.
The student, who attended the school, turned the gun on himself when police confronted him at a gas station, said Capt. Michael Kee of the Huntersville Police Department. He later died, said Tahira Stalbert, a spokeswoman for the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools.
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,266843,00.html

I almost hate to say this, but thank God he did not harm others in the midst of his suicide. Prayers of thanksgiving for that, and prayers of comfort to his family.

Is what happened in West Va. causing others who also contemplate suicide to "act out"? Add this to the guy in California and it's CRAZY - people are just waiting in the wings.

I am sorry that they put pictures of Cho and his guns on the TV, internet, and the FRONT OF SOME NEWSPAPERS. So disrespectful to the families; and now other copycats want to be martyrs for anti-society anger and ideation as well!!!!!

Because your country has a huge problem with guns.
Anyone can get one, and anyone does.

How are Australia's gun laws different, Narla?

Don't you think your society in general might be less troubled, also?

Please tell us the difference between Australia and USA.

Is what happened in West Va. causing others who also contemplate suicide to "act out"? Add this to the guy in California and it's CRAZY - people are just waiting in the wings.

I am sorry that they put pictures of Cho and his guns on the TV, internet, and the FRONT OF SOME NEWSPAPERS. So disrespectful to the families; and now other copycats want to be martyrs for anti-society anger and ideation as well!!!!!

I had an IEP meeting this morning and was in my daughter's classroom. What's laying on the counter in full view of everyone? Our stupid newspaper that decided to print those horrible pictures of that killer and his guns!!!!!!!!

I flipped it over, but I knew it was basically like that in all the classrooms. (K-8 school). :banghead: Granted, this classroom is special ed and the children there might not "get it", but still!!!

HE had a problem with guns and what to use them for. I don't think you can blame our country for this!

true but Australia is little better--that blonde surfer guy murdered dozens of people for no reason about ten years ago,one of the worst shooting rampages in World Hisory--And Britain,who has strict gun laws had that insane Scotsman who shot to death SIXTEEN 4 year olds and 5 year olds,little boys and girls,which,to me is a greater crime than what Cho did--and Canada had the Montreal Massacre where that guy shot to death over 12 women students--and England had that other massacre in Heretofordshire or some place,where he killed about a dozen people---and Japan just had the Mayor of Nagasaki murdered! and they have strictest gun laws around--so you see my point

HE had a problem with guns and what to use them for. I don't think you can blame our country for this!

Your gun laws are loose, your country is the only country that has a school shoot up at least once a year- I'm not quite sure how you can't see your society has a problem with guns.

true but Australia is little better--that blonde surfer guy murdered dozens of people for no reason about ten years ago,one of the worst shooting rampages in World Hisory--And Britain,who has strict gun laws had that insane Scotsman who shot to death SIXTEEN 4 year olds and 5 year olds,little boys and girls,which,to me is a greater crime than what Cho did--and Canada had the Montreal Massacre where that guy shot to death over 12 women students--and England had that other massacre in Heretofordshire or some place,where he killed about a dozen people---and Japan just had the Mayor of Nagasaki murdered! and they have strictest gun laws around--so you see my point

Peter
You can give me statistics but it wont change my mind-
whichever way you look at it, your society has a problem with it's gun laws-

It stands as the worse- 35 dead- 2 more than the Virginia tech rampage.

Sort of off-topic but not really I suppose. I just read a quote from Mayor Bloomberg where he stated that the majority of guns used in crimes in NYC are purchased in VA.

We don't give them to just anyone- that's the basic difference.

Quite possibly Tex- and there aren't as many people here as they are there-

Australia is better lol lol :p

You can't own handguns in Australia, i believe. you can't own them in Germany or Britain also.

i believe this happened after a man in Tasmainia ran wild. i know this happened after a man in scotland shot 16 5 and 6 year-olds and 1 teacher in what is known as the Dunblaine Massacre in 1996.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunblane_Massacre

Cultural impact
As the law stood at the time, the police were unable to revoke Hamilton's firearms certificate (gun licence) because there were no substantiated grounds to do so. Although one Central Scotland Police officer had recommended (in a lengthy report on Hamilton) that revoking his firearms certificate should be considered, this was overruled as the Deputy Chief Constable considered that he would be able to appeal successfully. The Deputy Chief Constable resigned at the same time as Lord Cullen's report into the massacre was published.
The Cullen Inquiry recommended tighter control of handgun ownership as well as other changes in school security and vetting of people working with children under 18. However because the Hungerford massacre also involved a legal gun owner killing with his legally held guns, public feeling had turned against private gun ownership, allowing a much more restrictive ban on handguns to pass.
A month later, Martin Bryant killed 35 people in the Port Arthur Massacre in Tasmania, Australia. The chief defence psychiatrist in the case has revealed that the Dunblane massacre, and in particular the early treatment of Thomas Hamilton, was the trigger in Bryant's mind for the Port Arthur massacre.[1]

Port Arthur Massacre

As a response to the spree killing, the Howard government banned semi-automatic centerfire rifles, high-capacity repeating shotguns and high-capacity rifle magazines. In addition to this, heavy limitations were also put into place on low-capacity repeating shotguns and rimfire semi-automatic rifles. The Tasmanian state government attempted to ignore this directive but was threatened with a number of penalties from the federal government. Though this resulted in stirring controversy, most Government opposition to the new laws was silenced by media opinion and mounting public opinion in the wake of the shootings (see Gun politics in Australia for more information on the 1996 legislation).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martin_Bryant

Much more at both Wikipedia sites.

Peter
You can give me statistics but it wont change my mind-
whichever way you look at it, your society has a problem with it's gun laws-

It stands as the worse- 35 dead- 2 less than the Virginia tech rampage.
--Narla, aren't most Australians descended from convicts/ I though Australia was where Britain dumped its "undesireables" back in the 1700's or something--is that not correct? but no offense

--Narla, aren't most Australians descended from convicts/ I though Australia was where Britain dumped its "undesireables" back in the 1700's or something--is that not correct? but no offense

I don't think it's 'most'. a fair few convicts were sent there, of course. but "The Convict Ships" ran from 1787-1868". a whole lot of other people since went there after that, you know. :)

And your point is? (if there is one) ( me thinks it is a pathetic attempt at having a go)

Edit to add: America is a great country but has a huge peoblem with gun control- it's that simple- no need to take it so personally- I was joking with Tex about our country being better, hence the silly face and the lol lol.

Yes Peter and I am one of those decendants....and I dont find my ancestors to be undesirable so offence is taken.......not to worry though, we had the last laugh, we landed where alot can only dream of living.
Keep an eye on your silverware you never know when I might visit:)
Sorry back on topic.

Our gun laws are very very different.....to own a gun is this country is nearly impossible.
If you do own a gun as my husband does it only takes one wrong step and your gun and liscence are taken away forever.Gun owners also have to allow police entry to their house at any time to check that the guns are being kept in a secure place..which by law is in a metal case which is bolted to the floor..the case must be secured by 3 combination locks and the ammo and bolts are not to be stored with the guns.
By law I am not allowed to have access to my husbands guns as I dont hold a gun liscence.
Automatics and hand guns are banned in Australia also.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kac1991
Back