AZ - Daniel Bechtel, 4 mos, starved to death, Phoenix, 17 April 2007

I clicked on the myspace taximom provided for Thaddeus, not much activity there but noted he commented he did not want kids. So sad with those little innocent children. IMO he should be charged just as severly as the mother, the police said they wont charge him with murder because he was on the road as a truck driver and just home once a week, but that baby was in serious neglect and it lasted longer than a week so he had to have seen what was going on and never should have left those babies alone with her!!

VB

Do these people hide in their filthy homes and NEVER have visitors over? How on earth does this stuff happen and no one see the deplorable conditions the children are living in? Here is a link with a picture of the baby, and he obviously looks very emaciated:
http://tinyurl.com/36e4nq

I clicked on the myspace taximom provided for Thaddeus, not much activity there but noted he commented he did not want kids. So sad with those little innocent children. IMO he should be charged just as severly as the mother, the police said they wont charge him with murder because he was on the road as a truck driver and just home once a week, but that baby was in serious neglect and it lasted longer than a week so he had to have seen what was going on and never should have left those babies alone with her!!

VB

I think I've read before in other cases that the "don't want kids" is what Myspace has if you don't change that field. Something like that. Of course, he could have chosen that one, but who knows.

She had 3 kids under the age of 4, and he was out all week long working. That's tough on anyone, but no child should die from it.

I still can't get over the weight of the 4 month old. My youngest daughter was 6.5lbs at BIRTH and she was so tiny. At only 4 lbs, that baby should have been in the hospital or at the least being supervised by a home-visit nurse and pediatrician. :furious: Didn't her neighbors or other family members see the baby? :waitasec:

This one is bizarre and very, very sad.

Yes, "don't want kids" is the default setting. Both my husband and I had "don't want kids" in our myspace profiles (even with two very wanted and loved kids) until we figured out that's what it said if you didn't choose something else.

Do these people hide in their filthy homes and NEVER have visitors over? How on earth does this stuff happen and no one see the deplorable conditions the children are living in? Here is a link with a picture of the baby, and he obviously looks very emaciated:
http://tinyurl.com/36e4nqhttp://tinyurl.com/36e4nq

Reannan it's not as uncommon as you'd think. In your own neighborhood have you been inside everyones home?
Years ago I knew a woman who had so many piles all over her home. She lived alone and a few times a year her daughter would come and attempt to get her to declutter but it was never really cleaned out like it should have been. I know I've seen houses that it's clear to see are very neglected and years of accumilated trash and junk built up on the outside, heaven knows what the inside must be like! Some homes can look quite presentable on the outside but the inside can look like a warzone and the people living there are very skilled in keeping people away for years so no one will know. Oprah once had a show on this and she just could not understand how a very attractive, well put together woman was living in the nastiest filth. There was rotting food and feces all over (I believe she had pets) it was truely disgusting and obviously the woman had some sort of mental disorder yet she'd been able to hide it away from others for years.

VB

http://tinyurl.com/36e4nq

I should NOT have looked at that picture. It literally took my breath away. I sat here for several seconds, mouth open, not breathing. That is SICK. WTF is wrong with people???? Seriously!!!! Why do these people even breed??????

Now I'm in a bad mood. :mad:

This is so very sad. The 2 and 4 year old were scavenging for food.

I hope they get the death penalty and they both should be sterilized.

I cannot figure out why nobody noticed this baby starving, unless they never left the house?

Where are the grandparents here??

So sad, I want to cry.

Vegas, I guess I didn't make myself clear in my other posting. I wasn't really referring to why no one saw that the house was a mess, I was more focused on why no one saw that the children were starving; especially little Daniel. The other two children were having to "scavenge" for food, so they couldn't have been poster children for healthy living either! If someone had issues with dirty houses, I would have to lock my own doors on occasion.:blushing:

Taximom, just curious how you found all those links? Do you google the names or something?

Hoarding, and neglect are signs of mental illness or depression. IMHO, she needed severe help and may have been escaping through fanfic. Looks like she wrote slash too.

Can it be that like others we have seen, she may have had untreated postpartum depression? On one of those links (thanks Taximom) she shows 19, married, and a mom. Yikes that's young!

MG

Taximom, just curious how you found all those links? Do you google the names or something?

Nocgirl -- it was easy to find for me after I found the MySpace. Hatten used "Remmie" (Remmie -- Remus, for Remus Lupin) a lot because she was a Harry Potter fanfiction writer. Once the "Remmie" and Katy were googled in different ways, the other sites began to pop up right and left.

I'd imagine the process was the same for Taximom. I didn't see her post until I was done with this:

http://crimeblog.us/?p=378

I think Katherine Hatten was infantile and delusional, and completely unequipped to be a mother. It messed with her fantasy world that merged weird sexual fantasy with the Harry Potter universe. Read those blog entries Taximom posted. Some of them are telling. She talks more about writing scenarios where various HP characters have sex than she does her children.

I've always been interested in the internet lives of alleged criminals, and if I can google something about the person or case I will try. She left a lot of footprints on the web, and after I a while I stopped googling out of boredom!

My mom always said to me "curiosity killed the cat". :waitasec: Oh yeah, she also always said "never put anything in writing unless you don't mind if others see it." I guess that now applies to the internet as well. :cool:

I learned some tips from MisterAllGood as well. I didn't know he wrote anything about this case till just now though. (Nice to see you, Steve.)

She had her two youngest one right after the other....they were 1 year and 2 months old at her last entry on livejournel....if she was suffering from post-partum, then she never even had a chance to recover.

Also, I think the husband should be looked into much much closer....just because he only comes home once a week, doesn't mean that it is only for two hours....most drivers will spend 4 days on the road and three at home, four on the road, three at home....etc....he knew something was wrong.....the question then becomes, what stories was mommy telling him? Did she lie and tell him that she took him to the hospital and the Dr's said he had an "eating disorder"?

At MySpace, I think the default answer is single/not wanting kids, until you change it. So if the guy never really fixed the settings, it may just be defaulted that way. Mine was that way as well as my brother in law's old myspace I found while searching names. I felt kind of bad for being mad at him over it after I went and set my own up and saw what mine was set at haha!

At MySpace, I think the default answer is single/not wanting kids, until you change it. So if the guy never really fixed the settings, it may just be defaulted that way. Mine was that way as well as my brother in law's old myspace I found while searching names. I felt kind of bad for being mad at him over it after I went and set my own up and saw what mine was set at haha!

That IS the default setting. This must be the fourth or fifth case where this question has come up. Someone always makes a comment about that, thinking it indicates something dark, and others always have to let them know that "I don't want children" is the default. I've even seen mainstream press reporters point this out as if it means something. Nine times out of ten, it just doesn't. There's enough here that's weird, anyway. I mean, this woman was apparently more invested in writing lewd stories about Remus Lupin and Severus Snape than she was in caring for her kids.

Anyone who knows Potteriana will know what I mean when I say that instead, Katherine Hatten made the Dursleys look like parents of the year.

Steve/Mr. A.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sneetchysneetches