989 users online (136 members and 853 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

KY - Armed Miss America 1944 Stops Intruder

WAYNESBURG, Ky. (AP) -- Miss America 1944 has a talent that likely has never appeared on a beauty pageant stage: She fired a handgun to shoot out a vehicle's tires and stop an intruder. Venus Ramey, 82, confronted a man on her farm in south-central Kentucky last week after she saw her dog run into a storage building where thieves had previously made off with old farm equipment.
    Ramey said the man told her he would leave. "I said, 'Oh, no you won't,' and I shot their tires so they couldn't leave," Ramey said.
    She had to balance on her walker as she pulled out a snub-nosed .38-caliber handgun.
    "I didn't even think twice. I just went and did it," she said. "If they'd even dared come close to me, they'd be 6 feet under by now."
    Ramey then flagged down a passing motorist, who called 911
    http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...M&SECTION=HOME

SewingDeb is offline "Sorry, I'm not qualified to land the plane."
    Good for her! I hope the gun control crowd reads this.

Good for her indeed. This is the kind of "little old lady" I want to be. Don't mess with us.

Gun control at its finest. She had excellent control to shoot out tires...that's an awful hard shot, from whatever distance.

Quote Originally Posted by SewingDeb View Post
    Good for her! I hope the gun control crowd reads this.
    What do you mean?

Being able to protect your property with a gun is a whole different ball game from being free to buy automatic weapons to use "who knows where", to kill scores in just a few minutes.

Or to go to a gun show and get them with no background check whatsover.

Don't worry, the "gun control crowd" is lame and silenced here, as opposed to other countries such as Australia and Britain which have taken measures to cut deaths and have been successful at that.

As the population grows, in a stressful society ,we're going to have even more
    unstable people who can easily get access to guns; and more disasters like this.

Gun control has nothing what so ever to do with taking this lady's gun away from her to protect herself and her property.

And an instance such as this is just used to put out such insincere misinformation by some.

Whoo hoo. Way to go Venus Miss America! A snub nose 38 can be a fine weapon for up close personal management. Ladies, it's time to start taking back our power and stop being wimpy victims. Good thinking to pop a cap in them tires ma'am.

I think this is one of the greatest stories I have read in a long time. Good for her!

Quote Originally Posted by Marthatex View Post
    Being able to protect your property with a gun is a whole different ball game from being free to buy automatic weapons to use "who knows where", to kill scores in just a few minutes.
    It's not exactly "free" to buy an automatic weapon. In most states, they are banned. In states they are allowed, the buyer has to pay a HEFTY price for a tax stamp. Full Auto's are NOT easy to get.

Don't worry, the "gun control crowd" is lame and silenced here, as opposed to other countries such as Australia and Britain which have taken measures to cut deaths and have been successful at that.
    Ask someone who lives out there how badly their crime rates sky rocketed. BTW, people are now killing people with knives, bats, etc. Maybe they should ban those too?

As the population grows, in a stressful society ,we're going to have even more
    unstable people who can easily get access to guns; and more disasters like this.
    The lady defending herself is a disaster story?

The more you ban guns, the more the bad guys have them and not to good guys.

Gun control at its finest. She had excellent control to shoot out tires...that's an awful hard shot, from whatever distance.

In "disasters like this", I was referring back to the VT shootings. (forgetting which thread I was on)

From 1997-2002 the overall UK crime rate fell by 27%, according to http://www.guninformation.org

We have 16 times the number of gun deaths that Australia has. Guns make it easier for people to kill - a study quoted in the above link found that a victim is 5 times more likely to survive is the attacker is armed with a knife, rather than a gun.

Could a mass murder of 32 be done so easily with a knife?

2 studies by the New England Journal of Medicine revealed that keeping a gun in the home increases the risk of both suicide and homicide.

I am so proud of that lady! Good for her....