CANADA Canada - Joanna Pedersen, 10, Chilliwack, BC, 19 Feb 1983

missacorah

Reaction score
Circumstances of Disappearance
Pedersen was last seen in her hometown of Chilliwack, British Columbia Canada on February 19, 1983. She was last seen at approximately 8:15 pm at a payphone outside the Penny Pincher Store near the corner of Vedder Road and Watson Road at the Southeast corner of the building facing Vedder Road.
Last contact was a call from a payphone at a convenience store located 2 blocks away from her home. She was speaking to her parents when a man took the phone and told her parents that he would call the police if the girl was not picked up by them in 30 minutes. Witnesses reported seeing an adult male standing next to a girl matching Pedersen's description at the location from where the call was made. The unidentified man was described as approximately 20 to 30 years old, 5'6" to 5'7", slim to medium build, light to dark colored hair that was below the ears, clean shaven and wearing a dark jacket. She has never been heard from again.

http://www.doenetwork.org/

Jo Anna Maria Pedersen
Missing since February 19, 1983 from Chilliwack, British Columbia Canada
Classification: Non Family Abduction

Vital Statistics

Date Of Birth: May 17, 1972
Age at Time of Disappearance: 10 years old
Height and Weight: 4'6"; 84 lbs.
Distinguishing Characteristics: Light brown, shoulder-length hair; brown eyes.

Circumstances of Disappearance

Pedersen was last seen in her hometown of Chilliwack, British Columbia Canada on February 19, 1983. She was last seen at approximately 8:15 pm at a payphone outside the Penny Pincher Store near the corner of Vedder Road and Watson Road at the Southeast corner of the building facing Vedder Road.

Last contact was a call from a payphone at a convenience store located 2 blocks away from her home. She was speaking to her parents when a man took the phone and told her parents that he would call the police if the girl was not picked up by them in 30 minutes.

Witnesses reported seeing an adult male standing next to a girl matching Pedersen's description at the location from where the call was made. The unidentified man was described as approximately 20 to 30 years old, 5'6" to 5'7", slim to medium build, light to dark colored hair that was below the ears, clean shaven and wearing a dark jacket.

Witnesses also describe a vehicle associated with the man, a two-door white- or cream-coloured domestic car from the early- to mid-70s with a dark Landau roof.

See Link below for sketch of abductor.

Investigators

If you have any information concerning Pedersen's whereabouts, please contact:

Royal Canadian Mounted Police
Chilliwack
Serious Crime Unit
604-792-4611

All information may be submitted on an anonymous basis.

Agency Case Number: 1983 - 2531

NCIC Number: M-190211403

Please refer to these numbers when contacting any agency with information regarding this case.

Source Information:

NCMEC
Royal Canadian Mounted Police
BC Local News 2/17/08
The Doe Network: Case File 377DFBC

LINK:

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/377dfbc.html

The 25 Year Anniversary of this little girl's abduction has just passed...

The article describes the suspect as clean shaven, yet the composite sketch shows a mustache.

Reactions: BRS
Will do that pixies. When i found the article in the news, i relayed it to Alta, who is a member here on WS and she brought it to my attention.
I have emailed them for more info and will quickly post the info that they send me.

Unfortunately the backlog in DNA testing etc..is going to put these remains on a very long list.I keep checking for any updates but there are none at this time.I have a strong suspicion this is Joanna,the area is where she was last seen,I hope for her families sake they will get some form of closure.Time will tell.

Well done and thank you for the update, Alta.

Your very welcome shwa.I check the Chilliwack papers daily for an update so the minute I hear anything i will let you all know.

The RCMP is appealing to a letter-writing tipster to contact police regarding an investigation into the disappearance of Jo-Anne Pedersen.

RCMP said Friday a re-enactment of the 10-year-old girl's disappearance 25 years ago, posted on the YouTube video website, attracted about 50 tips, including a letter from a man who appeared to know key information about Pedersen's disappearance.

"This letter was forwarded to investigators with the intention of helping, but we need to identify this individual and speak directly to them for this investigation to move forward," police said in a news release.

http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/...d=a02b06b8-4d73-4cd4-8dff-2f196b4cfaec&k=2364

ETA: Related YouTube video link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gIJaTLQgB0

http://www.canada.com/theprovince/news/story.html?id=fadb9dea-a44a-45de-836d-1fb47dac4d7d

This information about the receipt of this letter was originally released in early 2008. I wonder why would they publish it again 3+ years later, making it appear to be current, yet spell her surname differently?

Anonymous letter may hold key to decades-old disappearance ...

full article at: http://www.vancouversun.com/news/An...isappearance/5361193/story.html#ixzz1XFWofvYQ

Anyone know for sure if Joanne's surname is spelled Pederson or Pedersen? It is important to me to know the precise spelling due to some genealogical research I've done on some unsavoury peeps. Any help in that area is appreciated. Thanks !!

ETA: Would be nice if LE would publish a sample of the person's handwriting to see if anyone might recognize it.

Reactions: BRS
I would love to know what is in that last letter sent. I didn't know Joanna but have several mutual friends.

This is the case that got me interested in the missing as I moved to Sardis (Chilliwack) about 1 year after she was taken and actually lived in the same condo complex although her family no longer lived there.

I think of her often.

I believe the correct spelling is sen not son. HTH

Thanks greeneyedgirl !! Was without a computer for almost 2 weeks and just seeing your answer now.

By any chance, do you know if the family hailed from Alberta, or visited relatives there?

I'm sorry I don't know. I don't live in the area anymore. I can ask a few friends if they might know but with us all being young I'm not sure if anyone will know. It's a very difficult subject.

Sent from my iPhone using Taptalk

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back