Blue Angels crash

reportertype

Dogs are awesome!
Reaction score
A member of the U.S. Navy's Blue Angels precision flight team has crashed during an air show in Beaufort, South Carolina, witnesses tell CNN.

No link yet.

Near some residential housing, apparently and homes are on fire. In Beaufort, SC

Thanks ~ I was just going to see if anyone had added this yet.

As of right now no one knows if the pilot was able to eject before the crash or the extent of damage on the ground. It seems more than one home is on fire.

Please pray that the pilot is safe as well as those in those homes.
:( :(

A local reporter is saying now that eyewitnesses have seen parts of the plane on the ground, firefighters are trying to put the out the house fire on Pine Grove Rd. One eyewitness saw the plane low over a grove of trees and then fire and smoke. There still isn't any word on the pilot or residents of the home.

Beaufort Gazette reporting the pilot was killed. Emergency crews now asking for the Coroner to come to the scene. No report yet on the residents of the home(s) on fire.

:(

Yeah, weird. Lots of conflicting reports.

CNN now says there is one confirmed fatality

Yeah, weird. Lots of conflicting reports.

CNN now says there is one confirmed fatality
Headlines on CNN:
There has been at least one fatality in the crash of a U.S. Navy Blue Angels F/A-18 jet at an air show in South Carolina, the Beaufort County coroner says.

RIP Lt Cmdr Kevin Davis.....:(
http://pensacolanewsjournal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/frontpage

Blues return home today

BEAUFORT, S.C. -- A U.S. Navy Blue Angels pilot was killed after crashing Saturday afternoon while performing at an air show.

Lt. Cmdr. Kevin J. Davis, a native of Pittsfield, Mass., was piloting the No. 6 jet when it went down at about 3 p.m. (CDT), 30 minutes into the show at Marine Corps Air Station Beaufort (S.C.).

This is LCR Kevin Davis, Blue Angel #6. who died yesterday:
06_sm.jpg

"Lieutenant Commander Kevin Davis is a native of Pittsfield, Massachusetts, and graduated from Reading Memorial High School in 1992 where he played football and was active with the Civil Air Patrol. He attended Embry Riddle Aeronautical University, earning a Bachelor of Science degree in Aeronautical Science with honors in 1996.

Kevin reported to Naval Air Station (NAS) Pensacola, Florida, for Officer Candidate School and aviation indoctrination in September 1996. He completed primary flight training at NAS Corpus Christi, Texas, and transferred to NAS Meridian, Mississippi, for intermediate and advanced flight training. While there, he flew the T-2C Buckeye and TA-4J Skyhawk, and received his wings of gold in June 1999.

Kevin reported to Fighter Squadron 101 (VF-101) at NAS Oceana, Virginia, for training in the F-14 Tomcat and was the “Top Stick” in his class. In July 2000 he reported to the VF-11 “Red Rippers” where he completed deployments aboard the aircraft carriers USS Dwight D. Eisenhower (CVN 69) and USS John F. Kennedy (CV 67). While with the “Red Rippers,” Kevin served as the airframes/corrosion branch officer, air-to-ground training officer and head landing signals officer. His deployments included extended operations in the North Arabian Sea and Arabian Gulf in support of Operation Enduring Freedom.

In July 2003, Kevin transitioned to the F/A-18 Hornet through Strike Fighter Squadron 125 (VFA-125) at NAS Lemoore, California, and then reported to the Fighter Composite Squadron (VFC-12) “Omars,” stationed at NAS Oceana, Virginia. While at VFC-12, Kevin served as a Navy adversary pilot providing valuable air-to-air training for fleet squadrons. In December of 2004, Kevin graduated from the United States Navy Fighter Weapons School (TOPGUN) as an adversary pilot. During his tour at VFC-12, Kevin worked as the schedules officer, legal officer, FRS/SFARP officer and assistant operations officer.

Kevin joined the Blue Angels in September 2005. He has accumulated more than 2,500 flight hours and 200 carrier arrested landings. His decorations include the Air Medal, two Navy and Marine Corps Achievement Medals, and various personal and unit awards."

I had no idea how accomplished these Angels are. They serve a 2 year mission flying as a recruiting tool for the Navy. I read thru their bios, and they are all top top flyers, the best we have. God bless his family and all those who loved him as a friend. I am sure there are many. Scandi

Very sad . This fellow was a really well trained so mechanical failure sounds like it could be the cause. Although these type of stunts need to only be slightly 'out' and an accident occurs. Lucky that more people were not killed. Really awful spectacle to see happen..

I read in a (non English) European newspaper that he might have hit a power line? Haven't read it in any of my usual US 'sources' so I'm not sure how much truth there is to that...

I read in a (non English) European newspaper that he might have hit a power line? Haven't read it in any of my usual US 'sources' so I'm not sure how much truth there is to that...

I heard that his plane might have clipped a pine tree?! If that's the case, that's flying way too low in my opinion. Although I haven't looked at the terrain of that area, so maybe the tree was on a hill?

All the stunt planes practice overhead when they come to town for the air show. The first year we lived here I almost had a heart attack thinking a plane was crashing in our neighborhood. :eek: Now we look forward to it, but will definitely be thinking of this young pilot this year.

Very sad . This fellow was a really well trained so mechanical failure sounds like it could be the cause. Although these type of stunts need to only be slightly 'out' and an accident occurs. Lucky that more people were not killed. Really awful spectacle to see happen..

I agree kazzbar. These pilots are so highly trained and I know they spend a great deal of time scouting and practicing in the areas where they fly as do their crew. But on the other hand, their mechanics are top notch. I've seen the Blue Angels many times; my 11-year-old son wants to be one. I saw on the news that his family was present at this air show. They interviewed a family friend. So sad.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back