Thread: Fruity cocktails count as health food, study finds

Hybrid View

Fruity cocktails count as health food, study finds

http://www.cnn.com/2007/HEALTH/diet....eut/index.html
    WASHINGTON (Reuters) -- A fruity cocktail may not only be fun to drink but may count as health food, U.S. and Thai researchers say.
    Adding ethanol -- the type of alcohol found in rum, vodka, tequila and other spirits -- boosted the antioxidant nutrients in strawberries and blackberries, the researchers found.
    Any colored fruit might be made even more healthful with the addition of a splash of alcohol, they report in the Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture. (more at link)

Quote Originally Posted by Taximom View Post
    WASHINGTON (Reuters) -- A fruity cocktail may not only be fun to drink but may count as health food, U.S. and Thai researchers say.
    Adding ethanol -- the type of alcohol found in rum, vodka, tequila and other spirits -- boosted the antioxidant nutrients in strawberries and blackberries, the researchers found.
    Any colored fruit might be made even more healthful with the addition of a splash of alcohol, they report in the Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture. (more at link)

LOL! That's hilarious....now if only they'd say the same thing about brownies...
    I do not intend to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death!

IrishMist is offline You can't control the wind - but you can adjust your sails
    When I'm with my friends, I always point to my Absolut and cranberry as proof that I'm a health-nut. Now I have back-up!

They like to point at my two packs of smokes I always take when I go to a bar as proof of otherwise

Silly friends.

Quote Originally Posted by IrishMist View Post
    When I'm with my friends, I always point to my Absolut and cranberry as proof that I'm a health-nut. Now I have back-up!

They like to point at my two packs of smokes I always take when I go to a bar as proof of otherwise

Silly friends.
    I GoodSearch for American Cave Conservation Association. Raise money for your favorite charity or school just by searching the Internet with GoodSearch - www.goodsearch.com - powered by Yahoo!
    http://www.goodsearch.com/?charityid=908162

My friend drinks this, too. His wife has been trying to get him to eliminate or reduce his two cocktails a night. Now, he'll have proof that he is doing it for his health!!

IrishMist is offline You can't control the wind - but you can adjust your sails
    Quote Originally Posted by nanandjim View Post
    My friend drinks this, too. His wife has been trying to get him to eliminate or reduce his two cocktails a night. Now, he'll have proof that he is doing it for his health!!
    Well... let's just say I went on a "health kick" Saturday night. Took most of Sunday to get over it!

Well... let's just say I went on a "health kick" Saturday night. Took most of Sunday to get over it!

But the carbs, my dear, the carbs!

I drank vodka, cranberry with a splash of lime or a wedge of lime (Cape Cods) for years. I recently switched to Cosmopolitans, which also have the same ingredients along with Triple Sec. They're also stronger. I absolutely love them!!

I don't drink too often these days because it takes me longer to recover!!

Quote Originally Posted by Taximom View Post
    Dear Taximom,

Thank-you for posting this.
    Respectfully,
    dark_shadows