Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Fruity cocktails count as health food, study finds

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    16,705

    Fruity cocktails count as health food, study finds

    http://www.cnn.com/2007/HEALTH/diet....eut/index.html
    WASHINGTON (Reuters) -- A fruity cocktail may not only be fun to drink but may count as health food, U.S. and Thai researchers say.
    Adding ethanol -- the type of alcohol found in rum, vodka, tequila and other spirits -- boosted the antioxidant nutrients in strawberries and blackberries, the researchers found.
    Any colored fruit might be made even more healthful with the addition of a splash of alcohol, they report in the Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture. (more at link)

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    16,398
    Quote Originally Posted by Taximom View Post
    http://www.cnn.com/2007/HEALTH/diet....eut/index.html
    WASHINGTON (Reuters) -- A fruity cocktail may not only be fun to drink but may count as health food, U.S. and Thai researchers say.
    Adding ethanol -- the type of alcohol found in rum, vodka, tequila and other spirits -- boosted the antioxidant nutrients in strawberries and blackberries, the researchers found.
    Any colored fruit might be made even more healthful with the addition of a splash of alcohol, they report in the Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture. (more at link)

    LOL! That's hilarious....now if only they'd say the same thing about brownies...
    I do not intend to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death!

  3. #3
    IrishMist's Avatar
    IrishMist is offline You can't control the wind - but you can adjust your sails
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Southeastern Tennessee
    Posts
    7,627
    When I'm with my friends, I always point to my Absolut and cranberry as proof that I'm a health-nut. Now I have back-up!

    They like to point at my two packs of smokes I always take when I go to a bar as proof of otherwise

    Silly friends.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Kain Tuck E
    Posts
    55,364






    Quote Originally Posted by IrishMist View Post
    When I'm with my friends, I always point to my Absolut and cranberry as proof that I'm a health-nut. Now I have back-up!

    They like to point at my two packs of smokes I always take when I go to a bar as proof of otherwise

    Silly friends.
    I GoodSearch for American Cave Conservation Association. Raise money for your favorite charity or school just by searching the Internet with GoodSearch - www.goodsearch.com - powered by Yahoo!
    http://www.goodsearch.com/?charityid=908162

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    16,383
    Quote Originally Posted by IrishMist View Post
    When I'm with my friends, I always point to my Absolut and cranberry as proof that I'm a health-nut. Now I have back-up!
    My friend drinks this, too. His wife has been trying to get him to eliminate or reduce his two cocktails a night. Now, he'll have proof that he is doing it for his health!!

  6. #6
    IrishMist's Avatar
    IrishMist is offline You can't control the wind - but you can adjust your sails
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Southeastern Tennessee
    Posts
    7,627
    Quote Originally Posted by nanandjim View Post
    My friend drinks this, too. His wife has been trying to get him to eliminate or reduce his two cocktails a night. Now, he'll have proof that he is doing it for his health!!
    Well... let's just say I went on a "health kick" Saturday night. Took most of Sunday to get over it!


  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Palm Springs
    Posts
    18,391
    Quote Originally Posted by IrishMist View Post
    Well... let's just say I went on a "health kick" Saturday night. Took most of Sunday to get over it!

    But the carbs, my dear, the carbs!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    16,383
    Quote Originally Posted by IrishMist View Post
    Well... let's just say I went on a "health kick" Saturday night. Took most of Sunday to get over it!

    I drank vodka, cranberry with a splash of lime or a wedge of lime (Cape Cods) for years. I recently switched to Cosmopolitans, which also have the same ingredients along with Triple Sec. They're also stronger. I absolutely love them!!

    I don't drink too often these days because it takes me longer to recover!!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    6,120
    Quote Originally Posted by Taximom View Post
    http://www.cnn.com/2007/HEALTH/diet....eut/index.html
    WASHINGTON (Reuters) -- A fruity cocktail may not only be fun to drink but may count as health food, U.S. and Thai researchers say.
    Adding ethanol -- the type of alcohol found in rum, vodka, tequila and other spirits -- boosted the antioxidant nutrients in strawberries and blackberries, the researchers found.
    Any colored fruit might be made even more healthful with the addition of a splash of alcohol, they report in the Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture. (more at link)
    Dear Taximom,

    Thank-you for posting this.
    Respectfully,
    dark_shadows

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •