1147 users online (276 members and 871 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

Church hires alledged SO to work with children

I can see supporting a fellow church member you believe to be innocent, but to hire him to work with kids before the trial and all evidence comes out sure is trusting, and maybe dangerous. Maybe all these ministers are related or something, none of the actual facts were given in any news story that I could find.

http://www.lubbockonline.com/stories...42107087.shtml

Story last updated at 2:12 a.m. Saturday, April 21, 2007
    Church stands behind accused youth ministerLakeridge Baptist assistant faces trial for sexual assault
    BY HENRI BRICKEY
    AVALANCHE-JOURNAL

The senior pastor of Lakeridge Baptist Church said he believes another pastor at his church who is facing charges of sexual assault of a minor is innocent.

Dwight Blaine Miller, a youth pastor at Lakeridge Baptist, was arrested on a sexual assault charge in Kirbyville in 2004, according to the Jasper County District Attorney's Office.

To comment on this story:

henri.brickey@lubbockonline.com 766-8754

EDITED BY JEANA DUE TO COPYRIGHT INFRINGEMENT
    Last edited by Jeana (DP); 04-23-2007 at 08:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by txsvicki View Post
    I can see supporting a fellow church member you believe to be innocent, but to hire him to work with kids before the trial and all evidence comes out sure is trusting, and maybe dangerous. Maybe all these ministers are related or something, none of the actual facts were given in any news story that I could find.

http://www.lubbockonline.com/stories...42107087.shtml
    Hi txsvicki, unable to connect with the above link unless you are a member.

Quote Originally Posted by Shazza View Post
    Hi txsvicki, unable to connect with the above link unless you are a member.
    I'm sorry, I forgot that I need to copy and paste the story. I copied and added it to my post above.

To make him a youth minister when he faces charges of sexual assault of a minor in court is wrong. though the pastor believes him to be not guilty, there are those who have made this trial happen who are equally sure he is guilty.

to show support in the ministr wouldn't it have been possible to offer him another job rather than place him with children?

i believe Merle Fulmer is astonishingly arrogant! "An indictment doesn't mean guilty," Merle Fulmer, senior pastor at Lakeridge Baptist, said Friday. "We have confidence that this is a bogus charge."

i found this blog of interest:

Merle Fulmer, the senior pastor at Lakeridge Baptist Church said:

"Nothing in his character would make me suspicious"

Of course, Fulmer knew about the 2004 sexual assault charge and kept it from the parents of children at his church. Let's see, "Nothing in his Character would make me suspicious", that sounds odd. Is Fulmer an idiot? At a minimum, duty of care for the members of his church dictates that Miler be kept away from children.

http://mojoey.blogspot.com/2007/04/b...ock-texas.html

not only is the blog informative, but if the comments truly do come from parishoners of the church, there would seem to be a whole lot more to this story including that the people who attend the church were not all fully informed of the indictment against Dwight Blaine Miller. Merle Fulmer, the senior pastor, apparently saw fit to inform some members, before Dwight Blaine Miller was voted into his (temporary) position of youth minister.

one comment says, "it shows a great deal of narcissism and arrogance for Blaine Miller to have sought out a job as a youth pastor with this hanging over his head.".

yes, indeed.

isn't the internet a fascinating place? annonymous comments both for and against this happening are there and, should they be honest comments, they are eye-openers on this matter. i always find it interesting when 'you must not be a christian' gets thrown into the ring as part of a defense, don't you?

of course, on a blog, both blogger and commentators are only offering their opinions.
    Last edited by Floh; 04-22-2007 at 07:52 AM.

If I were being accused of anything sexual with a child, there is no way in H$%# that I would put myself in a position being around any children!!!

VB

IrishMist is offline You can't control the wind - but you can adjust your sails
    To me, even if it's just "allegations" at this point, you don't risk it by letting the person work with children. For the life of me, I don't understand why the church does things like this!!

Quote Originally Posted by IrishMist View Post
    To me, even if it's just "allegations" at this point, you don't risk it by letting the person work with children. For the life of me, I don't understand why the church does things like this!!
    I truly believe in innocent until proven guilty, I truly do. But YOU ARE SO RIGHT. To wait to pass judgement on someone's guilt doesn't mean we IGNORE the allegations.......especially in a case like this, when the risks are so high.

The bible teaches to avoid "even the appearance of impropriety" and I think this would be a very good scripture for the pastor of this church to ponder upon.

Quote Originally Posted by kgeaux View Post
    I truly believe in innocent until proven guilty, I truly do. But YOU ARE SO RIGHT. To wait to pass judgement on someone's guilt doesn't mean we IGNORE the allegations.......especially in a case like this, when the risks are so high.

The bible teaches to avoid "even the appearance of impropriety" and I think this would be a very good scripture for the pastor of this church to ponder upon.
    Excellent post! The minute I read the story, I thought about the appearance of impropriety both from a legal and Biblical perspective.
    I do not intend to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death!

Floh, thanks for the link to the blog. I'm trying to post a comment there, but having trouble. To hire an accused sexual offender is so wrong. Many people let their kids attend church and youth activities with other kids and I'm sure that they weren't informed or given a choice in the matter. I wish some of those on the blog would tell some of the details of the accusation and why they believe Miller to be innocent since they have only known him for two years. I doubt if they even know all the details and why the DA even made the charges. If KCBD.com hadn't done a story on this a few days before the article in the newspaper came out in retort, no one in the public would have even known about this.

For the church to hire or even consider hiring someone to work with it's youth without knowing if the employee may be convicted of a sex offense is more than a little ignorant. The members of that church should unite and take their membership elsewhere.
    Do the leaders of this church have a brain???

Good grief! My church is not only training all of the children/youth workers, but it is also requiring finger-printing and background checks! This includes the nursery workers! I cannot fathom the idiocy of this congregation!

I have KNOWN pastors, youth pastors, deacons, and elders who have been molestors. Just because you're a church member doesn't mean you are a good person.

Quote Originally Posted by txsvicki View Post
    I'm sorry, I forgot that I need to copy and paste the story. I copied and added it to my post above.
    Sorry darlin, we're not allowed to post entire articles here.

Quote Originally Posted by Pandora View Post
    Good grief! My church is not only training all of the children/youth workers, but it is also requiring finger-printing and background checks! This includes the nursery workers! I cannot fathom the idiocy of this congregation!

I have KNOWN pastors, youth pastors, deacons, and elders who have been molestors. Just because you're a church member doesn't mean you are a good person.

Yes - and often manipulative people take advantage of those who would be most trusting and forgiving - those in a church.

Being forgiving doesn't mean being naive. Or arrogant - who does this guy think he is to play the role of judge and jury and hire this guy? And risk children's lives on whether or not he is right?

Boy - that guy should be glad I'm not a parent at the church.

See.. this bugs me. If I don't embrace a child molester withopen arms, I am not a "good Christian". I don't think I have to bend over backwards to fellowship someone with that record. I have children to protect and those children were given to me to raise and watch over. I will never, ever knowlingly put them around people who have a history of harming children.

I can love the sinner, hate the sin and not allow my kids near them and still enter the Kindom of Heaven, IMO. If not... then the pervs can go to Heaven and I will go elsewhere, with my babies.

On the blog that Floh linked to there is a comment from another pastor who knows the accused man and some of the situation. This pastor said that the youth minister made a big mistake by being alone with a young girl, but no other details were given. I do know that the Baptist church that I belonged to would never have a man alone with a woman or girl and the pastor even said as much once when he visited my home after I missed church several times. There were always two of them or they took their wife along. You'd think that this would be big big rule for any church worker. This same pastor also disputed with one of the members who say that they pay the preacher's salary by saying the the Lord provides their needs. Hogwash. These independent Baptist ministers probably preach more sermons on giving and money than anything else, and some even say you aren't really "saved" if you don't give all the time. If a pastor is a liar and not fit, they can move on elsewhere. There's even a Walmart down the street if they aren't provided with enough parishioners.