Turner County's first integrated prom

Pandora

Reaction score
http://www.cnn.com/2007/EDUCATION/04/22/integrated.prom.ap/index.html

I actually read a letter to the editor earlier this week in what used to be our local paper and I wondered what on earth the writer was railing against. Now that CNN has posted the story, the idiot's letter makes, well, not sense, but at least I now see the context of his hate-mongering vitriol! Here's the letter:

Thursday, April 19, 2007 9:36 AM EDT

Ahhh, the sounds of the politically correct. It always plays against the nerves like an out of tune guitar.

Usually, these knee-jerk responses are ill-informed, uneducated and always worded the same. Monika Woods was no exception.

The concept of us all being one race and one blood has only been around 30-40 years.

Darren Howard

http://www.thetoccoarecord.com/articles/2007/04/19/news/letters/letters1.txt

I know we normally don't paste an entire passage/letter, but I was afraid it might be removed shortly due to complaints--I know I made one! NEGA used to be a hotbed of KKK activity, but it's gone "underground" in the past few years. It appears to be experiencing a public resurgence. :(
I contemplated adding this to the "White Privilege" thread, but I didn't want to "hijack" anything.

EDITED BY JEANA DUE TO COPYRIGHT INFRINGEMENT

:eek: I had no idea some places are so divided like that!! Separate proms based on race?

I really thought I was going to open this thread and find it was about the transgender student who ran for Prom King.

I am saddend to find that it is about race.
If that county has such a mentality its simply amazing that their children are litterate enough to make it to their Senior year of high school.
(yes, I know racists come from all walks of life and education but in my mind it is so completely ignorant its hard to imagine anyone with any education can think like that)

Well....

What you got is a white population that wants to have a prom with country and rock and roll music. Then you have a black population that wants R&B, hiphop, etc. During the 70's and 80's, a lot of schools started to have separate proms. After all, there's a difference from dancing to "Acky breaky heart" to "She's a Brickhouse".

But today's kids listen to a lot of different music other than just one genre. It's not really a segregation thing, more of a choice on the type of prom.

Well....

What you got is a white population that wants to have a prom with country and rock and roll music. Then you have a black population that wants R&B, hiphop, etc. During the 70's and 80's, a lot of schools started to have separate proms. After all, there's a difference from dancing to "Acky breaky heart" to "She's a Brickhouse".

But today's kids listen to a lot of different music other than just one genre. It's not really a segregation thing, more of a choice on the type of prom.

Good point.

But...

Couldn't they have both music played and encouraged tolerance and acceptance among the races?

Surely there are some white folk who like rap and some black kids who don't?

And which prom do the Asian, Latino, Middle Eastern Etc students attend?

Well....

Not the way I dance.... :D

Well....

Oh, come on! This post reeks of the twisted sort of arguments that have always justified segregation.

As if white kids don't listen to hip hop!

I listened to show tunes in high school, but somehow managed to join my classmates (black and white) at the prom. Jeeze!

Oh, come on! This post reeks of the twisted sort of arguments that have always justified segregation.

As if white kids don't listen to hip hop!

I listened to show tunes in high school, but somehow managed to join my classmates (black and white) at the prom. Jeeze!

TY!!! :blowkiss: :blowkiss: :blowkiss:
I could not find the words to articulate that but I thought it too:)

I've since read other posts by gman and he is NOT pro-segregation.

I think he's wrong about Turner County, but I could have been less indignant in my reply.

I apologize for my tone, gman.

Unless I have my Georgia counties confused (which is quite possible), I heard a radio program on the separate proms a couple of years ago. The "white" prom was initially established as a "private" event so that the official school prom wouldn't be integrated, and white kids wouldn't have to dance near black kids.

Yes, there are differing tastes between blacks and whites--as entire groups--but that isn't the reason Turner County had separate proms. High schools all over the country manage to accommodate the differing music tastes of their students.

:p Heh! The last thing I am is someone that wants segregation. Just ask my wife...Maybe when they first segregated the proms is was based on racism, but I think it grew into an accepted practice on both sides.

Heh, my sister in law loves country music, but even she can dance to hip hop. I can't dance to save my life...:dance:

:p Heh! The last thing I am is someone that wants segregation. Just ask my wife...Maybe when they first segregated the proms is was based on racism, but I think it grew into an accepted practice on both sides.

Heh, my sister in law loves country music, but even she can dance to hip hop. I can't dance to save my life...:dance:

Welcome to WebSleuths, gman! I'd like to tell you my first post to you will be the only time you'll see me overreact, but that would be a lie. :blushing:

I'm sure Turner County got used to its dual proms, but my view is that anyone can throw a "country music" or "hip hop" party and invite whom s/he likes. The official school prom ought to be for all seniors.

I've attended proms as a chaperone for the last eleven years in GA. They were "integrated." The DJs played every kind of music under the sun and some that I don't think is/was under the sun. :) Black, white, asian, and mexican kids danced like it was the last night of their lives! Students today listen to ALL kinds of music. They aren't as picky as some of their elders (my husband, for example)!

Wow...I hate reading this type of story :sick:

Well...at least it proves to non-believers that racism is still alive and well in America.

Wow...I hate reading this type of story :sick:

Well...at least it proves to non-believers that racism is still alive and well in America.

One would think. But what do you want to bet they'll have some other explanation?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cabinsleuth
Back