GUILTY KY - Baby Boy Hall, 2 wks, murdered, Louisville, 14 May 2002

scary...hope this DA knows what she's doing. I mean if he's innocent, I feel for him his life has been ruined. Do you know what happened the night the infant died? I'm trying to search for more details.

I found this in a 2002 Cincinatti Enquirer:

Father charged in death of newborn son

LOUISVILLE — Police charged a 28-year-old father with killing his 2-week-old son Wednesday.

Virgil Hall of Louisville faces a murder charge after his son died at Kosair Children's Hospital early Wednesday morning, Jefferson County police said.

Jefferson County EMS became suspicious when they arrived on the scene about 11 p.m. and noticed that the baby, who wasn't named, had suffered some severe injuries, said county police spokesman Robert Biven. Mr. Biven said the father wasn't at the scene when officials arrived.

The boy was pronounced dead at 12:56 a.m. Wednesday in Kosair's emergency room, said deputy coroner Reva Morris. Ms. Morris said he died of multiple injuries caused by physical abuse.

Police later found Mr. Hall hiding in a closet at his sister's apartment in western Jefferson County, Mr. Biven said. Detectives from the Crimes Against Children Unit interviewed him and charged him with murder Wednesday morning.

Mr. Biven said Mr. Hall made a statement to detectives “implicating himself in the assault.” Mr. Hall told police that he had become angered after his girlfriend, the child's mother, left him alone with the infant and the boy began crying, Mr. Biven said.

So this DNA that was found is not matched to a specific person, but is DNA that was found at other crime scenes around the country. Is that correct? Truly weird. I too hope to hear more about this mysterious DNA in the future.

Maybe the family had criminal friends.

I wonder why DNA from the dad would be relevant, anyway. His DNA could be anywhere.

That's the first thing that came to mind when I saw this wasn't a sexual assault case. What relevence would the father's DNA on the baby have in a beating death? Doesn't mean he did it... doesn't mean he didn't. Implicating himself in statements, hiding in his sister's closet, and being the known caregiver at the time the baby ended up dead, however, does implicate him. This DNA is a red herring defense maneuver as it applies to "cause of death" of the infant, unless they got it out of a bite mark.

It is interesting that the DNA matches unsolved murders and rapes and doesn't match the father. I'd be taking the harshest penalty off the table in exchange for a name from this guy.

I wonder if it's been established by DNA that Virgil Hall is the father of the baby.

I also wonder if Virgil Hall is a mentally disabled individual.

If Virgil Hall is mentally disabled (low IQ, below 70) or mentally ill, could he have been traumatized by witnessing the beating of the infant? Could his finding of the body, or witnessing the crime, have made him hide in his sister's closet... not out of guilt but out of fear?

A mentally retarded person could be easily coerced into implicating himself, just as a child could be. A mentally ill person could be made to believe he was dissociative, and simply didn't remember the crime.

Bump.

I've found no follow up on this case since Feb 10. I've emailed that Cincinatti reporter and hope to learn more.

Its not the presence of the dna but the fact that the dna which was found on the infant's garment has been linked to a series of murders thus showing that either of two scenarios are possible: an innocent contamination by a man who did indeed happen to be a serial killer and truthful confessions by the father OR excessively forceful questioning of the defendant and admissions that are false since the killer was indeed this now somewhat elderly serial killer.

The trouble is some of those database entries are from labs with considerable problems.

The baby was 2 weeks old, yet was unnamed??

Sounds like a family of winners here ~ would like to hear more about the infants mother, who else was in and out of the home... etc.

The DNA find is quite the shocker! Is it possible that the DNA was on the father and then transfered to the infant when he was attacked?

What a horrible death for a poor, unnamed child.

Casshew said:
would like to hear more about the infants mother, who else was in and out of the home
You expect her to have to remember their names? She doesn't seem to interested in names anyway.

All I've been able to find out so far is that the defense was granted a continuance until summer in order to subpoena detectives from jurisdictions where the DNA "hits" were made.

Still no follow-up articles on this case. I've emailed for more current information and will post if I receive any.

due to the time elapsed, I would say they are doing more investigation on this case, and rightly so. I, also am curious as to who else was in this home, were there any other caregivers, and where the mother was. and why a two week old did not have a name.
sounds like the da jumped the gun on this one. too many questions were left unanswered. either that or the cops are keeping a "lot" quiet. but I suspect the dna was a shocker for them, and they may be keeping it quiet so that an internal investigation, as well as more investigation of the case can be completed. they may be trying to hide the fact that they have an idea of who the dna comes from and want to hide that fact to keep from spooking the other suspect.

Virgil Hall was either convicted or pleaded guilty because he's serving 35 years for homicide, according to Kentucky DOC:

http://kool.corrections.ky.gov/KOOL/Details/98389

Couldn't find any MSM on the outcome, though, which seems odd. Whatever happened with the mystery DNA?

The document at the link, a Memorandum Opinion of the Supreme Court of Kentucky, dates from 2006 and might shed a little more light:

http://law.justia.com/cases/kentucky/supreme-court/2006/2005-sc-000231-mr.html

One interesting thing mentioned is that the baby's garment (on which the "mystery DNA" was found) was given to the child's mother as a used item of clothing.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GravityHurts
Back