Iran warns women over slack dressing

Taximom

Former Member
Reaction score
http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20070422/ts_afp/iranwomenfashionislam;_ylt=AtgZs1sxzNzfa9Nf5leTLuv2_sEF

(excerpt-more at link)
"Since the plan started at 10:00 am on Saturday, 1,347 women have been warned and given Islamic guidance," the head of information at Tehran city's police force, Mehdi Ahmadi, told AFP.
"There were 170 arrests. Of these, 58 were released after making a written commitment and rectifying their appearance. The cases of the rest, who already had a record, were handed over to the judiciary," he said.
Iranian newspapers printed pictures of women in tight and colourful clothing being given warnings on Tehran's streets by female police officers dressed in chadors as the crackdown got underway on Saturday....
...Ahmadi said officers would also target men sporting clothes deemed too tight or hairstyles deemed too extravagant.

(OOhhh, Sanjaya better watch where he travels.)

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20070422/ts_afp/iranwomenfashionislam;_ylt=AtgZs1sxzNzfa9Nf5leTLuv2_sEF

(excerpt-more at link)
"Since the plan started at 10:00 am on Saturday, 1,347 women have been warned and given Islamic guidance," the head of information at Tehran city's police force, Mehdi Ahmadi, told AFP.
"There were 170 arrests. Of these, 58 were released after making a written commitment and rectifying their appearance. The cases of the rest, who already had a record, were handed over to the judiciary," he said.
Iranian newspapers printed pictures of women in tight and colourful clothing being given warnings on Tehran's streets by female police officers dressed in chadors as the crackdown got underway on Saturday....
...Ahmadi said officers would also target men sporting clothes deemed too tight or hairstyles deemed too extravagant.

(OOhhh, Sanjaya better watch where he travels.)
I cant believe it, how ridiculous, but if that is what their religion requires, who am I to disagree.:twocents:

What is this story for? Why should we care about the dress code of another country?

What is this story for? Why should we care about the dress code of another country?
You obviously cared enough to respond. :razz:

:clap:

i remember reading somewhere that iran has bands of roving female dress-code police who are armed with batons and have been given the power by the State to actually go up to a woman on the street and beat her up on the spot if she's not dressed the way they think she should be! :eek:

th_xgag.gif

Are you saying that we shouldn't concern ourselves with issues of another country? :waitasec:

Are you saying that we shouldn't concern ourselves with issues of another country? :waitasec:

No, we shouldn't worry about the oppresion of billions of women in a huge region of the world. That would make us busy-bodies. (Totally dripping with sarcasm, in case anyone missed it)

My boyfriend is originally from Iran. He obviously still has family there, several of whom I have met. It's very sad because they are good people and I hate to see them living under these conditions. His mother last went to Iran two years ago to visit family and the dress code was not enforced at all, most women just put a loose scarf over their head, but would leave their hair showing, wear makeup, jeans, etc. The women there were getting an education and allowed to have freedom...so sad that this is taking them back to the stone age. I hope she doesn't go to Iran again. My boyfriend has made his wishes known that she never returns to that country again, as has his other brother.

My boyfriend is originally from Iran. He obviously still has family there, several of whom I have met. It's very sad because they are good people and I hate to see them living under these conditions. His mother last went to Iran two years ago to visit family and the dress code was not enforced at all, most women just put a loose scarf over their head, but would leave their hair showing, wear makeup, jeans, etc. The women there were getting an education and allowed to have freedom...so sad that this is taking them back to the stone age. I hope she doesn't go to Iran again. My boyfriend has made his wishes known that she never returns to that country again, as has his other brother.

that's true. this "back to the stone age" thing has been gradually increasing ever since ahmadinejad took over .... and i think he's taking his cue from the religious higher-ups, because i recall reading he wanted to allow women to attend the world cup games when they came to iran, but he reversed his position when told to do so.

can you imagine that?
a sporting event where the audience is nothing but males?

th_sad-uhuh4.gif

I thought it was interesting. Obviously we have different tastes. :blowkiss: Have a nice day, montana.

When I saw the article I wondered what their crime rates (by crimes I mean theft/rape/murder etc) were and how all this attention to dress code affected that.

Also, I'm glad my religion doesn't have police enforcing our beliefs.

Here we go again. This is why I don't post much any more because I get personally attacked if I respond to any subject that may be controversial.

I should have been more clear about some things. I was NOT saying why should it be posted here at Websleuths. I was talking about the corporate media specifically bringing up negative stories about IRAN. Take one guess as to why they are doing that.

You obviously cared enough to respond. :razz:

Thank you for sticking your tongue out at me.
As I should have made clear on my first post, I was NOT directing this at taxiemom. I am talking about the corporate media who are making sure they get more and more negativity out there for us to ingest about IRAN.

Not all of them. At work, I briefly mentored a girl from Iran and because she wasn't Muslim (she was born in Iran, but practiced a different religion, can't remember what) she wasn't allowed to go to university there. She immigrated to Canada to get her education.

They're not allowed to wear pants, whooooppppie doooooo. Its not like they're being lined up and shot in the head. Who gives a crap what they have to wear. We're not talking berkas here and even if we were, its NONE of our business. Women in Saudi aren't allowed to drive. What should we do about it? Let them worry about their own dress policy. Geez.

Thank you Masterj for at least asking me a question as to why I said that before jumping all over me. I'm seeing more and more verbal attacks against Iran priming us up for the other attacks that are sure to follow.

Thank you for sticking your tongue out at me.
As I should have made clear on my first post, I was NOT directing this at taxiemom. I am talking about the corporate media who are making sure they get more and more negativity out there for us to ingest about IRAN.
I agree that you should have made that clearer, because your original post came off as quite abrasive.

They're not allowed to wear pants, whooooppppie doooooo. Its not like they're being lined up and shot in the head. Who gives a crap what they have to wear. We're not talking berkas here and even if we were, its NONE of our business. Women in Saudi aren't allowed to drive. What should we do about it? Let them worry about their own dress policy. Geez.

I think it is more that they aren't allowed to vote, drive, seek medical attention, etc.

They have no voice. I agree, who gives a rats bum if they wear jeans. it's the bigger issues that disturb me.

I could be confusing Iranian women with the women in pakistan and afganistan who can't even see a doctor and whose mortality in childbirth is very high. please tell me if I am wrong.

Not quite sure why you are getting so worked up over my question to montana, Jeana. I had a feeling she meant more than what she posted, so I was asking for clarification, which I thought would be the polite thing to do.

In regard to the rest of your post, I do give a crap what they have to wear because I find it interesting to learn about cultures different than my own. I also care about the treatment of people in other countries, especially women and children. Whether or not I want to worry about their dress policy, is really my concern so right back at you with the "geez."

Here we go again. This is why I don't post much any more because I get personally attacked if I respond to any subject that may be controversial.

I should have been more clear about some things. I was NOT saying why should it be posted here at Websleuths. I was talking about the corporate media specifically bringing up negative stories about IRAN. Take one guess as to why they are doing that.

Hi montana, I'm sorry you feel that way about posting. I haven't been personally attacked here (yet) but I can imagine how that must feel. I've seen others go through this and WHAM the moderators seem to be right on top of it. Hopefully it works out better for you in the future.

Just FYI though-if this article had been about Turkey or any other country I would have posted it. Not so sure about the corporate media, but anytime the dress code is a subject of such police attention it catches my eye.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cabinsleuth
Back