GUILTY Australia - Tina Watson, 26, dies on honeymoon scuba dive, QLD, 22 Oct 2003

aussiegran

Reaction score
QUEENSLAND detectives have swooped on the US home of a man whose young wife died during their Australian honeymoon.
Tina Watson (nee Thomas), 26, drowned while she was diving with her husband, Gabe Watson, on the Great Barrier Reef, near Townsville, in October, 2003.
After months of working with the Federal Bureau of Investigation and the Alabama police force, two Queensland detectives arrested Mr Watson in the town of Hoover, The Australian reported.

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,21623306-1702,00.html

I thought this might have been the honeymoon couple- that was strange- the ones who got left behind that time-

I thought this might have been the honeymoon couple- that was strange- the ones who got left behind that time-
Hi narlacat .when I saw the headlines I had the same thought ,I dont remember this happening .but as my granddaughter says (nanny your remember doesnt work very good sometimes) :crazy:

An Alabama man is suspected of killing his new wife on their 2003 honeymoon during a dive trip off the coast of Australia, and a photograph may have captured the young woman’s final moments, according to a report in The Daily Telegraph.

FBI officials and Australian police are questioning Gabe Watson, a certified rescue diver, about the death of his wife Tina during a dive below the surface of the Coral Sea off the Queensland coast.

The picture, taken by two tourists apparently oblivious to the drama going on behind them, shows a diving instructor swimming towards Tina Watson in hopes of saving her life, the Daily Telegraph reports.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,312522,00.html

dunno...looks like the diver in front is looking at the camera, a normal reaction, imo.

time will tell.

So he got away with his wife's murder for 4 years. Sad.... at least he's now being looked at.

~snip~

Glasgow says a warrant would be issued for the arrest of Watson, who is believed to be in the United States.

Tina Watson, a novice diver, died on the Great Barrier Reef as she swam with her more experienced husband.

Police became suspicious about Gabe Watson's involvement after he changed his story about her death, and because an autopsy showed no medical reason for her death and because no fault was found in her diving equipment.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,369442,00.html

I think it is sad that he killed her for money....yet funny that in the end, she didn't change the policy after all and he will go to jail for the rest of his life for his greed!

I don't think they have video evidence..seems they have a photo of her, deceased, on the ocean floor....very sad to actually view that. I am surprised it is printed.

Well it seems another holidaymaker caught the dive on camera so thats what I meant by video evidence sorry

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25276933/

SYDNEY, Australia - An American tourist was charged with murder in Australia on Friday for allegedly drowning his wife during a honeymoon dive in 2003 on the Greet Barrier Reef.
Police immediately began preparing a warrant for the arrest of the suspect, Daniel Gabriel Watson of Birmingham, Ala. — the first step in what are likely to be drawn-out extradition proceedings.
Watson faces a maximum penalty of life in prison if convicted. His lawyer did not immediately enter a plea, but he has argued that the evidence does not support any criminal charge and that police have seemed intent on blaming him anyway.

there's even a pic there!! :eek:

oh, i just put this in crimes on the new section. very interesting story. have you seen the pictures? i was like... OMG

I saw an episode on 20/20 or Dateline about this case pretty recently. It was more than apparent that this guy killed his bride. They actually lived in a town where I used to live and own a home.

This entire case is pretty sad. The guy was an idiot. The girl was settling. He was the rebound boyfriend. She didn't want to take diving lessons. She was forced to because her soon-to-be husband wanted to go on a diving honeymoon. No wonder...This is what he had planned.

He was a diving expert, with rescue certification. Yet, he let her go to the bottom of the ocean. Other experienced divers were on the trip; and they said that his story did not add up. That's why he kept changing it.

I hope that he is extradited quickly, stands trial and spends the rest of his miserable life in prison.

I would have become immediately suspicious if my soon-to-be husband asked me to increase my life insurance and change the policy to make him the sole beneficiary. I'm glad she lied though and didn't make the change...even though she told him she did. At least she can have the last laugh. I hope her family gets the justice they deserve.

I believe that her father is an insurance agent. She told him that her new husband wanted her to increase the insurance and change the beneficiary. Her Dad said to just wait until after they got home from their honeymoon when she had more time to do so. That's why she "fibbed" to him. Pretty bad that you have to start out lying to your husband who is pressuring you...Not a good sign...on either part.

Perhaps, had she told him that she was going to do it when she got home, she would have made it through the honeymoon. Of course, he would have found another way to murder her since that apparently was his intent.

I couldn't understand why she was even dating him. She was really pretty. He apparently bought her an engagement ring and set the box on the television. He told her not to open the box or he would take it back. It sat there for months and months. When she finally had had enough with his weird behavior, she started to pull away. I think that she had a few dates with someone else. When he thought that he was going to lose her, he gave her the ring.

For some reason, this fat jerk didn't really care about her. Maybe, it was just his diabolical nature. I guess that he figured that he could make some quick cash by marrying her and murdering her in a far away land.

They showed some type of video where he was face to face with her in the water. Someone said that he may have shut off her oxygen valve. I can't remember the story. However, he had it all planned out.

Can't understand why she even married him to begin with...he sounds like a jerk!

The fact that he is certified in rescue but didn't even try to rescue her is telling. That fact and him wanting the life insurance changed is enough evidence for me.

How horrible. :( The picture of her lying on the bottom of the ocean is heartbreaking. :(

Has an official COD been released? Here is a interrogation video from Pedinurse's link:

<iframe height="339" width="425" src="http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22425001/vp/24715073#24715073" frameborder="0" scrolling="no"></iframe>

ETA: Is that his mother that keeps pawing and stroking him during the interview? It's annoying and creepy.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back