721 users online (77 members and 644 guests)  


Websleuths News


Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 17
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    10,387

    India orders arrest for Richard Gere

    India court orders Gere's arrest

    Gere's kisses at an AIDS event caused mass outrage
    The actor can face up to three months in prison
    Shetty said it was overboard, but not obscene


    An Indian court ordered the arrest of Hollywood star Richard Gere on Thursday for kissing Bollywood actress Shilpa Shetty at an AIDS awareness event this month saying it was an obscene act committed in public.

    Gere's repeated kisses on Shetty's cheeks at an event to promote AIDS awareness in New Delhi sparked protests in some parts of India, mostly by Hindu vigilante groups, who saw it as an outrage against her modesty and an affront to Indian culture.

    The order by a court in the northern city of Jaipur came in response to a complaint by a local lawyer.

    The judge watched a video recording of Gere kissing Shetty and found him guilty of violating Indian laws against public obscenity, the lawyer, Poonam Chand Bhandari, said.

    The court also summoned Shilpa Shetty to appear on May 5, Bhandari said, adding that Gere was also ordered to be arrested.

    Gere can be sent to jail for up to three months or fined or both for the crime if he is arrested. He is not in India now but can be held if he visits the country again.

    CNN.com

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    16,234
    You would think he'd know the laws there since he's been there before.

    Maybe his friend, the Dalai Lama, will help him wiggle out of this one.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    10,387
    I see Richard Gere isn't interesting to anyone, LOL.

    Don't have a clue, thought it was a wierd story.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    3,374
    It certainly was out of place,this AIDS awareness thing is hugely serious over there--India's AIDS population is exploding,from like nothing ten years ago to millions today--India has a tremendous probem with prostitutes also,especially those that service truckers--and here is Gere laughing it up like he's at a party

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Palm Springs
    Posts
    19,111
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Hamilton View Post
    It certainly was out of place,this AIDS awareness thing is hugely serious over there--India's AIDS population is exploding,from like nothing ten years ago to millions today--India has a tremendous probem with prostitutes also,especially those that service truckers--and here is Gere laughing it up like he's at a party
    Um, he WAS at a party. Apparently, parties aren't much fun in India.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Palm Springs
    Posts
    19,111
    Quote Originally Posted by christine2448 View Post
    I see Richard Gere isn't interesting to anyone, LOL.

    Don't have a clue, thought it was a wierd story.
    I am interested, Christine. But we're not supposed to discuss religion at WS and this is just one more example why the religious shouldn't be allowed to make laws. So I am holding my tongue.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    7,748
    Quote Originally Posted by christine2448 View Post
    I see Richard Gere isn't interesting to anyone, LOL.

    Don't have a clue, thought it was a wierd story.
    It is an interesting story. and i am ever interested in Richard Gere. i have no idea why he was all over the Bollywood star (?) in the first place, but it surely was a reckless thing to do under the legal circumstances of the country.

    what's going on in India, i wonder? they have threatened to arrest Elizabeth Hurley (for immodest dress) and her husband also.

    Could the actress (?) and her new husband Arun Nayar actually be facing jail time over their Indian wedding?

    Access Hollywood has learned an Indian man - who knows neither bride nor groom - is reportedly trying to declare their actions illegal on the following grounds:

    -Showing excess flesh in her Indian garb.
    -Kissing during the ceremony, which is against Hindu culture.
    -Drinking alcohol before the wedding.
    -Elizabeth not removing her shoes during the ceremony.

    Liz and Arun could face arrest charges of a "deliberate and malicious act" against the religion.

    http://www.accesshollywood.com/news/ah4817.shtml

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    4,710
    Wow, I did not know that we could not discuss religion here. I would have thought it would be okay to give one's viewpoint as it relates to the topic being discussed, such as an arrest based upon religious laws.

    I'm off to re-read my rules!

    Susan

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Palm Springs
    Posts
    19,111
    Quote Originally Posted by TGIRecovered View Post
    Wow, I did not know that we could not discuss religion here. I would have thought it would be okay to give one's viewpoint as it relates to the topic being discussed, such as an arrest based upon religious laws.

    I'm off to re-read my rules!

    Susan
    The mods do give us some leeway when the subject is unavoidable, but in general we are to avoid incendiary debates on religious topics.

    Frankly, I've had it with religious puritanism of all stripes. And those who are quite rightfully worried about a religious government in Iran having the atomic bomb, should remember that a country (India) that wants to imprison an actor for a kiss has the bomb. And a country (the US) whose commander-in-chief subscribes to apocalyptic views has literally thousands of atomic bombs.

    Stanford philosopher Sam Harris has argued at book-length that our technology is now so powerful, we simply can't afford to indulge people's magical thinking as we have traditionally done. I'm beginning to think he is right.

    See why I shouldn't start?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    7,748
    Quote Originally Posted by Nova View Post
    The mods do give us some leeway when the subject is unavoidable, but in general we are to avoid incendiary debates on religious topics.

    Frankly, I've had it with religious puritanism of all stripes. And those who are quite rightfully worried about a religious government in Iran having the atomic bomb, should remember that a country (India) that wants to imprison an actor for a kiss has the bomb. And a country (the US) whose commander-in-chief subscribes to apocalyptic views has literally thousands of atomic bombs.

    Stanford philosopher Sam Harris has argued at book-length that our technology is now so powerful, we simply can't afford to indulge people's magical thinking as we have traditionally done. I'm beginning to think he is right.

    See why I shouldn't start?
    Yes. and i need to keep it zipped too!


  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    16,021
    Quote Originally Posted by Floh View Post
    Yes. and i need to keep it zipped too!
    Don't we all, Floh? But it's....just.....so.....hard!
    I do not intend to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death!

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    NSW Australia
    Posts
    9,182
    This was BIG news here- she looked like she was having fun to me lol- she's embarrased the poor girl-

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    7,206
    Wonder what Gere's wife thought of all this affection he was giving out. He's still married, right?

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    14,189
    Those Hindu men need to get after all those married men in India who get on Yahoo while at their jobs and try to flirt and talk to women in chat.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    NSW Australia
    Posts
    9,182
    Quote Originally Posted by txsvicki View Post
    Those Hindu men need to get after all those married men in India who get on Yahoo while at their jobs and try to flirt and talk to women in chat.
    The Indians are notorious in chat for sure Vicki- I haven't done the chat thing in rooms for years but I remember them- they call you dear- whilst asking you what you are wearing LOL- gross

    They also all work for Telstra
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telstra
    If I even hear hello in an Indian voice (lol) when I answer my phone I just hang up- they are really annoying and ring at the most inconvenient times ie dinner time- I also like to just put the phone down for 5 minutes- they can't ring out again until you hang up- that really annoys them
    Last edited by narlacat; 04-27-2007 at 08:09 AM. Reason: add laughter, hehe

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast


Similar Threads

  1. India - Sudden death of beloved actress, 24, stuns India
    By los2188 in forum Celebrity and Entertainment News
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-12-2016, 05:40 AM
  2. India - 75-year-old nun gang raped in India
    By zwiebel in forum Crimes in the News
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-26-2015, 12:46 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-14-2014, 12:06 PM
  4. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-30-2012, 07:00 PM