1232 users online (191 members and 1041 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

IL - Student charged for writing violent essay

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18353425/&GT1=9246

CARY, Ill. - Authorities have filed a second disorderly conduct charge against a high school senior arrested for writing an essay officials described as disturbing and inappropriate.
    Allen Lee, 18, of Cary was arrested earlier this week after penning the essay at his northern Illinois high school. Lee contends he was just following the creative writing assignment he was given in class at Cary-Grove High School.
    Lee initially faced just one charge, but an amended complaint filed Thursday cited a second passage.
    According to the complaint, the essay reads, in part, "Blood, sex and booze. Drugs, drugs, drugs are fun. Stab, stab, stab, stab, stab, s...t...a...b...puke. So I had this dream last night where I went into a building, pulled out two P90s and started shooting everyone, then had sex with the dead bodies. Well, not really, but it would be funny if I did."
    Another passage said, "as a teacher, don't be surprised on inspiring the first CG shooting," the complaint said.
    The creative writing assignment in Lee's English class on Monday instructed students to "write whatever comes to your mind. Do not judge or censor what you are writing," according to a copy of the assignment.
    "In creative writing, you're told to exaggerate," Lee said. "It was supposed to be just junk. ... There definitely is violent content, but they're taking it out of context and making it something it isn't."
    Lee has been removed from school, and District 155 spokesman Jeff Puma said the district is evaluating Lee's punishment while he attends an offsite learning program in the school district.
    "It wasn't just violent or foul language," Puma said. "It went beyond that."
    Lee's attorney, Dane Loizzo, said his client was within the parameters of the assignment.

There is just something about this case that bothers me. Can I see this kid being referred for psychologically testing? Without a doubt. Suspending him seems reasonable. Arresting him doesn't seem to make much sense to me.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveZee View Post
    There is just something about this case that bothers me. Can I see this kid being referred for psychologically testing? Without a doubt. Suspending him seems reasonable. Arresting him doesn't seem to make much sense to me.

I tend to agree with you and welcome to WS.

Well, in light of the Virginia Tech shootings, it pays to be careful- and observant-

Quote Originally Posted by narlacat View Post
    Well, in light of the Virginia Tech shootings, it pays to be careful- and observant-
    Observant is one thing. Telling a student to write whatever comes into his head without censoring, and then arresting him for doing so, is quite another.

This is outrageous.

Stephen King had an interesting take on this.

Stephen King on Virginia Tech

On Predicting Violence

In the wake of the Virginia Tech murders, novelist and Entertainment Weekly contributing editor Stephen King comments on the connection between violent writing and violent acts

EDITORS' NOTE: In the wake of the Virginia Tech murders and subsequent reports that Cho Seung-Hui had raised alarms in the English department with his writing, we asked novelist and Entertainment Weekly contributing editor Stephen King for his thoughts on the links between the creative process and violence. Where, exactly, does one draw the line between imagination and disturbing expression that should raise red flags?
    I've thought about it, of course. Certainly in this sensitized day and age, my own college writing including a short story called ''Cain Rose Up'' and the novel RAGE would have raised red flags, and I'm certain someone would have tabbed me as mentally ill because of them, even though I interacted in class, never took pictures of girls' legs with my cell phone (in 1970, WHAT cell phones?), and never signed my work with a ?.
    As a teacher, I had one student I will call him George who raised red flags galore in my own mind: stories about flaying women alive, dismemberment, and, the capper, ''getting back at THEM.'' George was very quiet, and verbally inarticulate. It was only in his written work that he spewed these relentless scenes of gore and torture. His job was in the University Bookstore, and when I inquired about him once, I was told he was a good worker, but ''quiet.'' I thought, ''Whoa, if some kid is ever gonna blow, it'll be this one.'' He never did. But that was in the days before a gun-totin' serial killer could get top billing on the Nightly News and possibly the covers of national
    magazines.

http://www.buzznet.com/tags/virginia...urnals/159752/

Quote Originally Posted by Nova View Post
    Observant is one thing. Telling a student to write whatever comes into his head without censoring, and then arresting him for doing so, is quite another.

This is outrageous.
    Amen Nova!!!!!
    "If at first you don't succeed, skydiving isn't for you!"

The above post is my opinion and my opinion only. Please do not copy and past to other forums.

Quote Originally Posted by csds703 View Post
    Stephen King had an interesting take on this.
    It's been a number of years since I read Stephen King's novels with any regularity, but his non-fiction columns on popular culture for Entertainment Weekly are simply brilliant!

I don't read Stephen King, but I said years ago that I hoped the FBI is keeping tabs on James Patterson. The stuff he writes is soooo creepy! It feels so real to me, like someone who has put some thought into it. Or maybe even done it already.

YIKES!

not only is he sick and demented, but judging by his writing he sounds pretty reatrded. is this really the best students can do these days?? and, is this the result of 30+ years of constant violent and sexual imagery crammed into the heads of modern human beings, through the media, day in and day out?

students are being told there ARE no rules anymore with creative writing and artistic expression.. that 'anything goes', skill and actual talent don't count, and ANYTHING you do to 'express yourself' is valid. (thinking back to the butt-printing art teacher... and everyone saying that blacks calling themselves niggas, *****es and hos is 'artistic freedom'). so now, the kid expresses himself (pretty badly too).. and now he's told he CAN'T express himself....??? so many mixed messages being given to young people today.

that being said, i'm glad they took action and are not tolerating this kind of ***** anymore. and who knows if he was really sincere or just did it to be funny... and watch,, now there wll be thousands of teenagers out there doing this kind of thing for attention, copy-cat style.. after cho.

This is outrageous.

Cho certainly wasn't arrested. Maybe they had to arrest him so that an a judge could give an order to get psychological help or him out of the school? Wonder why public schools can do this but Universities say they can't do anything.
    The linked article says that this kid is a straight A student and was all set to join the Marines, but now they don't want him.

It's been a number of years since I read Stephen King's novels with any regularity, but his non-fiction columns on popular culture for Entertainment Weekly are simply brilliant!
    King is a terrific writer of both fiction and non-fiction. I love his EW column you reference.

I agree 100% that it is insanity to tell a student to write something and then arrest him for doing so. I can't even wrap my mind around it.
    I do not intend to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death!

Quote Originally Posted by angelmom View Post
    I don't read Stephen King, but I said years ago that I hoped the FBI is keeping tabs on James Patterson. The stuff he writes is soooo creepy! It feels so real to me, like someone who has put some thought into it. Or maybe even done it already.

YIKES!

Interesting....I love Patterson. Maybe they're watching me too!!

It seems like they are violating his 1st amendment rights. He did not write a letter, deliver and plan an action. He was just writing in a class. You can not assume that because it's written it's going to happen. I have plenty of stories and essays that I did that would be considered a little off. Does that mean that I plan on doing any of it? Let me quote Whitney: HELL to the NO!

I was just upset and unable to verbalize how I felt.

I agree with Stephen King. What are the other reasons to suspect this child?

Wouldn't it be wiser to work on keeping guns out of the hands of children than this? What do they say about an ounce of prevention?
    Last edited by mammasweets; 04-28-2007 at 11:20 AM. Reason: my tangent keep going on and on and on

[quote=reb;1463385]not only is he sick and demented, but judging by his writing he sounds pretty reatrded. quote]

Reb.. I would like to know what you meant by this statement. I really hope that you are perhaps believing this student may have a mental development problem and not ignorantly using the word "retarded" to mean he was just "not very smart". I understand that people use the word improperly every day. However, its cruel and ignorant. People can't help being "retarded" or mentally disadvantaged. They CAN help being stupid and making stupid actions..

From the article: Lee, who has a 4.2 grade-point average and never has been in trouble before

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast