2007 Christiansens attend March against Violence Durham

terminatrixator

All Posts JMO - May Godspeed Justice for Janet and
Reaction score
http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/1364721/
Vigil, March Held to Call for End to Violent Crimes

1177731361_durham-220x165.jpg

Posted: Apr. 27 11:51 p.m.

Durham — Friends, relatives and strangers gathered Friday night to remember people whose lives were lost to violence and to call for change.
Nearly 100 people showed up for a vigil and a march against crime sponsored by the Durham Police Department. Most of the marchers had the same message: End violence, especially gang violence, in Durham now.

"My sister-in-law, Janet Abaroa, was murdered two years ago here in Durham. We just felt it was important to support this walk against crime," Connie Christiansen said. "It helped to be able to feel like you're supporting others and try not to focus too much on what you're going through."
Abaroa, a 25-year-old mother, was stabbed to death in her Durham home two years ago Thursday. The case remains unsolved.

Twelve-year-old Jamal Lowery's mother was murdered in January 1996, and he still can't describe what life is like without her.

"I don't know. Many of you may be thinking, 'How don't you?' Well, I just don't," Jamal told those in attendance.

Many students from North Carolina Central University took part to show support for fallen classmates near and far.

"I just came out to show my love and support for Virginia Tech victims," student Jevon Rogers said.

"It's always a good time to show support for people that have been victims of violence, and violence that happened on our campus, Ms. Denita Smith, as well," student Tafari Higgins said.

Smith, an N.C. Central graduate student from Charlotte, was fatally shot outside her apartment in January. A Greensboro woman who police say was obsessed with Smith's fiance has been charged with murder in the case.
"When you see the suffering like we've seen this evening, you can't go back tomorrow to business as usual. We're going to have to really come together as a community ... to bring about change," Durham Police Chief Steve Chalmers said.

The police department also will host a Saturday banquet for crime victims.

Don't forget to the view the video that comes with the story.

The video showed Janet's sister in law and I recognize Janet's father, from the vigil pictures last year, and he was there holding a picture of Janet.

This just brought tears to my eyes.

This family went to support victims of crime when they have gone two years without Justice.

They are not media attention getters, as we all know, they don't hit every show they can, though some of us have wished they were more vocal, it seems that they do what they can behind the scenes and are actively seeking justice for their Janet.

It shows that they care so much for other people that are grieving to do something special for National Crime Victims' Rights Week.

Bless the Christiansen Family & their Friends.

It's heart-warming to hear that Janet's family attended this march. What kind people to help support others even in the midst of their own pain.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chingona361
Back