429 users online (54 members and 375 guests)  

Websleuths News

Booking a Cell in a 5-Star Jail

Worth it for $75 to $127 a day i would have thought. tough on those who can't afford it.

SANTA ANA, Calif., April 25 — Anyone convicted of a crime knows a debt to society often must be paid in jail. But a slice of Californians willing to supplement that debt with cash (no personal checks, please) are finding that the time can be almost bearable.
    For offenders whose crimes are usually relatively minor (carjackers should not bother) and whose bank accounts remain lofty, a dozen or so city jails across the state offer pay-to-stay upgrades. Theirs are a clean, quiet, if not exactly recherché alternative to the standard county jails, where the walls are bars, the fellow inmates are hardened and privileges are few.

Those not registered with the NYT can use Bug Me Not: http://www.bugmenot.com/

i really feel the allowed use of cellphones and laptops goes too far — especially considering how internet connections could be used for fraud.

and i hope paedophiles should not be allowed to apply!
    Last edited by Floh; 04-29-2007 at 10:49 AM.

Atlanta GA
    It sounds like only the most low-risk offenders are allowed there, and the prosecutor can object.

It would be even better to me if the money went towards providing increased security measures at the other jails. I don't care what you did wrong, I don't feel that someone (especially people awaiting trial who may, in fact, be innocent) should have to fear for their safety or even their life while incarcerated just b/c they cannot make bail.

It happens. Innocent people sometimes are arrested. Sometimes they even go to trial. On rare occasions they are even found guilty and sentenced. The guards and people who work in the jails and prisons should not have to be afraid b/c of overcrowding or the gangs running the place, and the people incarcerated there shouldn't either.

If they can convince rich DUI offenders and embezzlers (or that guy who stole a soda!) to cough up some dough not to mingle with the great unwashed as a form of tax, it sounds like a great plan to me. I'd pay in a minute.