MO - Three dead, 5 injured in KC shooting spree, April 2007

MrsG728

Reaction score
it was supposed to be NEVER again... :(

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18384740/

At least 2 dead in mall shooting Fire official says fatality count may rise; conflicting reports persist
BREAKING NEWS
MSNBC News Services
Updated: 6:37 p.m. ET April 29, 2007

KANSAS CITY, Mo. - Two people were killed and at least two others were wounded in shootings Sunday at a shopping mall in Kansas City, Mo., according to media reports quoting firefighters.
There were conflicting reports about whether the suspect was among the dead or was in custody.
A Kansas City police spokeswoman said there had been multiple shootings at the upscale Ward Parkway mall south of downtown Kansas City and the shooter had been wounded. She had no other details.
Media reports said the suspect shot a police officer in the arm during a traffic check and then drove to the mall where he opened fire with what may have been an AK-47 assault rifle.
One eyewitness told CNN he heard three or four shots near the checkout aisles of a department store, and his son saw a man on the ground in shock with blood on his face.
The Kansas City Star said police were notified shortly before 4 p.m. that a man was firing shots in the mall and that several people had been hit.
"We have at least two fatalities, maybe more," said Joe Vitale, a Kansas City fire department battalion chief.
Preliminary witness accounts gave conflicting accounts of exactly where the shootings occurred. Television video showed a window shot out at a Starbucks coffee shop but some witnesses said the shooting occurred around a Target store.
Aaron Washington, 34, a worker at Target, said the shooting appeared to happen near the store's entrance into the into mall.
He said he was coming back from lunch when he heard gunshots and saw a man holding his eye, apparently wounded in the incident.
Yesenia Erives, 11, of Kansas City, said she was seeing a movie at a movie theater in the mall when she heard two gunshots.
"Then a worker from the theaters, he said to go back in the theater because there's a guy who shot some people," she said.
The theater was evacuated and the mall was shutdown, with the surrounding streets also closed down.
This breaking story will be updated.
© 2007 MSNBC InteractiveReuters and The Associated Press contributed to this report.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18384740/

from CNN
(CNN) -- Two people died and at least two others were wounded Sunday in a shooting at a shopping mall in Kansas City, Missouri, a Fire Department official said.
A police officer was wounded in a nearby incident authorities believe is related, Kansas City Fire Department Battalion Chief Joe Vitale said. He added that the dead include the original shooter.
The dead and two or three others who were wounded were at Ward Parkway Shopping Center, about nine miles south of downtown Kansas City, Vitale said.
Janet Coleman said she saw "a young man with a sawed-off shotgun" in the parking lot being chased by police.
"I could just see a blunt-sized gun bigger than, like a regular .44," she said, adding that she gained her expertise in weapons from watching "a lot of crime TV."
Inside, clothing store manager Lissa Young said "several rounds of gunfire" were followed by two customers who ran into the store and said shots had been fired. She said she immediately locked the doors and ordered the customers to the back of the store, where they waited until police gave them the all-clear.
Witness Queea Miller said the shootings took place in the parking lot.
"I was in my truck and the gunman was two cars over from me," she told CNN. She said she saw the gunman shoot in the direction of a Starbuck's coffee shop. "Then after he stopped, he re-loaded and started shooting again."
She said that, during the shootings, she and her 18-year-old daughter "lay our seats all the way back and I got to praying. You could hear the shots going off again."
Then police, their guns drawn, began "coming from everywhere," she said.

Thanks for the info and links, MrsG. It was so nice outside today that I didn't even have the t.v. turned on at all and had not heard this news until now.

How awful! Prayers for everyone who was affected by this horrible madman's crimes. I'm sure we'll find out lots more about this man in the next few days.

I'm surprised there were no comments on this thread.:waitasec:

I was at the mall but was in a music store a little way away. The clerk ushered us into a back room and we waited for an all clear from police. It was scary. It took us forever to get out of there. I just wanted to get my kids out and home. I hope they figure out what caused this to all happen.

I was at the mall but was in a music store a little way away. The clerk ushered us into a back room and we waited for an all clear from police. It was scary. It took us forever to get out of there. I just wanted to get my kids out and home. I hope they figure out what caused this to all happen.
How scary it must have been for you daphnec and your kids, really glad you and your family are okay.

This is the story we got here in Oz

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=173963

A man driving a dead woman's car shot a police officer, then opened fire in a parking lot and a mall Sunday, authorities said. By the end of the day, four people, including the gunman, were dead.

The chaos ended when police shot the gunman to death outside a Target store inside Ward Parkway Center in south Kansas City, police spokesman Tony Sanders said.

The gunfire sent shoppers and employees scurrying for cover. Target employee Cassie Bradshaw, 19, of Kansas City was in a break room with two other people when they first heard shots. Then, her co-workers saw a man in his 50s with a rifle "shooting everywhere," she said.

"It sounded like maybe firecrackers at first but then they got louder and louder and louder, and it sounded like someone shooting a gun," she said.

The string of violence began early Sunday afternoon, when police went to a home to check on an elderly woman relatives hadn't seen for days. The woman was found dead and her car missing, Sanders said.

The car was spotted later in the day at a gas station by an officer, who pulled the driver over and was shot in the arm, police said. The officer, whose wound was not life-threatening, returned fire and shattered the window of the gunman's car.

The car took off and reports began arriving about 10 to 15 minutes later of shots fired at the shopping center. The man pulled into a parking space and fired at the cars on either side of him, killing two people, authorities said. He fired more shots, wounding at least two people, then went inside the mall, Sanders said.

"Everybody was leaving the mall when the officers ran inside," Sanders said. "They confronted the man and after confronting him, shot and killed him."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070430/ap_on_re_us/mall_shooting&printer=1

Wow Daphnec....thankfully you are all ok.....what a scarey thing to be involved in.

More killings....more injuries. Will the senseless killings ever end?

God bless the families.

Poor Ms. Miller, her daughter, and Daphne. I hope you won't be too traumatized by it all. Years ago some sleazy looking nut pointed a gun at me from another car while was driving past my car and I still get anxiety when stopped and trapped at red lights and other cars are around or see gang looking type guys. The other day I got all freaked out while in a small shop and 2 days a thief went in firing a gun at the ceiling and robbed the place.

Luckily, we weren't the poor souls who were close to the man. I am praying for all of them.. Just very relieved we got home safe and sound. Is that wrong of me? To be glad we made it out?

The incidents are just feeding off of each other, at this point, I think.
Yes, they are! I am thinking Armageddon couldn't be far off. Don't know if anyone else believes it this way but things sure are getting worse by the day.

Daphnec, that is completely normal IMO. Nothing wrong with counting your blessings! I hope you and your family can recover quickly from this trauma.{HUGS}

I found updated info at the link that was posted:

KANSAS CITY, Mo. - The chaos began with police finding an elderly woman dead and her car missing.
It ended when officers fatally shot the man driving the car -- but only after he fired on a police officer and later people at a shopping center, killing two of them.
Police trying to make sense of the four deaths were reviewing security footage and interviewing hundreds of witnesses to the shooting Sunday outside a Target store inside Ward Parkway Center in south Kansas City, police spokesman Tony Sanders said.
more at the link that was posted...

re-reading the article.. horrible that 2 innocent people got killed, but good that no cops were killed. now watch, people will be all up in arms that the man was cornered and shot by the cops. they willl second-guess and intensely analyze every minute action of the cops, grilling them (FOR DOING THEIR JOBS!!!) as to 'why they couldn't have arrested him or done something else besides shoot him'... and turn him into a victim and a martyr..... just watch.

btw a huge thanks to the cops for doing a great job in protecting the public from yet another raving mad lunatic.

And again-

People have lost hope, society is at a all time low- add to that a society that is preoccupied with violence and voila- recipe for disaster
Glad you are okay Daphnec

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vigilandy
Back