IN IN - Bonnie L. Schultz, 47, Indianapolis, 3 July 1997

Shadow205

Reaction score
Bonnie L. Schultz is a 54 year old white female. She is also a wife and a mother of two children. She is 5' 7" tall and weighs 160 lbs. She has brown hair, brown eyes a medium build and a medium complexion. She was last seen on July 3rd, 1997 leaving a pub in the area of 62nd and Allisonville Road on the Northeast side of Indianapolis. She was driving a blue 1990 Mercury Sable, four door station wagon with Indiana '98 plate 99G9645. This vehicle has never been located. If you have information about this case please call the MCSD Homicide and Robbery Section at (317) 231-8279 or the Marion County Sheriff's Department Communications Section at (317) 327-3811.

Case 97-30633A (Missing Person)
FOUL PLAY IS SUSPECTED

http://www.indygov.org/eGov/County/MCSD/Investigations/missing-person.htm

http://www.wthr.com/Global/story.asp?S=6466870

Indianapolis - As it approaches the ten-year anniversary, the Bonnie Shultz missing person's case remains a puzzle. The wife and mother of two children was last seen leaving a north side bar in her vehicle. But Bonnie never made it home. It was painful for her young son in 1997. It still hurts ten years later.

"I miss her. I know that much. I've missed her since the day she was gone," said 25-year-old Josh Schultz. "When it first happened, I held out hope for quite a while that something would turn up, as far as her coming back. And over the years, I've lost that hope," added Schultz.

The Schultz family now lives in Michigan. Their life is normal in many ways except for the nagging question that continues to haunt family and police. What happened to Bonnie?

Missing Mom

var wn_last_ed_date = getLEDate("May3,2007,11:00 PM EST"); document.write(wn_last_ed_date);May 3, 2007 11:00 PM EDT
6466870_BG1.jpg
Bonnie Schultz
6466870_BG2.jpg
Rick Schultz
6466870_BG3.jpg

Scott Swan/Eyewitness News
Indianapolis - As it approaches the ten-year anniversary, the Bonnie Shultz missing person's case remains a puzzle. The wife and mother of two children was last seen leaving a north side bar in her vehicle. But Bonnie never made it home. It was painful for her young son in 1997. It still hurts ten years later.
"I miss her. I know that much. I've missed her since the day she was gone," said 25-year-old Josh Schultz. "When it first happened, I held out hope for quite a while that something would turn up, as far as her coming back. And over the years, I've lost that hope," added Schultz.
The Schultz family now lives in Michigan. Their life is normal in many ways except for the nagging question that continues to haunt family and police. What happened to Bonnie?
In July of 1997, the Schultz family lived in the 4400 block of Clayburn Drive on the northwest side of Indianapolis. The night she disappeared, Bonnie had a conversation with her husband Rick about marriage problems. After 26 years of marriage, Bonnie wanted a divorce.
"She made comments that her and I didn't have anything in common and she liked doing one thing and I liked doing another. Most couples - in my opinion - are that way. What they have in common is the family," said 56-year-old Rick Schultz. "I never thought she was the type that would get up and leave and run away. She wouldn't leave her kids behind," Schultz added. "I don't think she had any thoughts of suicide or anything like that. I don't think the situation was anywhere near that desperate."
Rick says he wanted counseling. After their conversation at home, Bonnie left for a nighttime birthday party with co-workers from her part-time inventory job. Josh, who was 15 at the time, went to a friend's home for a sleep-over. Gretchen, who was 10, stayed at home with her father.
Police say Bonnie was last seen at the Time Out Lounge near 62nd and Allisonville in the early morning hours of July 4, 1997. Detectives say Bonnie was seen with a woman and a man.
"They both gave statements, both were cooperative. Both said she was upset when she initially got there. But she settled down throughout the evening," said IMPD Missing Person's Detective Catherine Byron.
Witnesses told police Bonnie left alone in her car. It was a blue, 1990 four-door Mercury Sable station wagon with an Indiana License 99G9645.
"When I woke up the next morning, she wasn't there," recalled Rick Schultz.
Rick says he became concerned and called police. The family filed a missing person's report. Police monitored Bonnie's bank accounts and cell phone activity but found nothing.
"No one vanishes. She is somewhere. And so is that car," said Detective Byron.
Detectives working the case believe Bonnie was the victim of foul play. If she was murdered, who did it?
"The person responsible for this were pretty involved. They had a plan. Not only to hide Bonnie but to hide her entire car," said Detective Byron. Police say no one has been ruled out as a suspect.
"The husband is the first person that comes to mind when a spouse is missing," said Rick Schultz. "I had nothing to do with causing any of her physical harm."
The Schultz children cannot imagine any family member hurting their mom. "I don't think my dad did it. I don't think Josh did it," said 20-year old Gretchen Schultz.
Did someone else kill Bonnie? Did she take her own life? Did Bonnie want to disappear and start a new life?
"I don't believe that Bonnie left her children and left her friends, and left her job and took her car and hid is somewhere. I don't believe Bonnie has been living somewhere the last ten years," said Detective Byron.
"If she left us and is happy, as difficult as that is for us, that's better for her. If something else has happened, obviously it's a bad thing for everybody," said Rick Schultz.
The Schultz children believe their mother is dead. "I think someone probably murdered her," said Josh Schultz. "I really don't think she's alive anymore," said Gretchen Schultz. "It's been too long."
The children are left with family photos, memories and questions. They are hoping someone can help find the missing piece of the puzzle.
"I would truthfully like to know what happened. I mean, truly know, not just wonder," said Josh Schultz.
"Somebody out there knows something," said Rick Schultz. "We don't know what happened. And the not knowing is probably the most troubling."
If you have any information that could help police, call IMPD Missing Person's Detective Catherine Byron at 327-6984 or call crime stoppers at 262-TIPS. You don't have to give your

questions:

what are the roads like around there? close to any water, embankments, etc.? has it all been searched?

who was the man & woman she was seen with? did they work with her? were they a couple, or 2 separate strangers?

was she drinking a lot? did she seem drunk when she left?

did she have a nice car (i.e., new, expensive, desirable)?

questions:

what are the roads like around there? close to any water, embankments, etc.? has it all been searched?

who was the man & woman she was seen with? did they work with her? were they a couple, or 2 separate strangers?

was she drinking a lot? did she seem drunk when she left?

did she have a nice car (i.e., new, expensive, desirable)?

I wish I knew the answers to those questions myself. The only one I do know is about the car. It would have been 7 years old at the time. 1990 blue four-door Mercury Sable station wagon with Indiana license plates 99G9645. I did a quick google search and there does appear to be some small lakes around the area. I live south of this area so I am not familiar with the roads. I juwst don't understand where an ENTIRE car goes. Maybe she was drunk and went off the road into a lake or ???? In the news story the husband says he would not beleive she would have committed suicide but most people with suidices dont think their loved one would do it either. I wonder if she just took off on her own free will to start a new life????

10 Years ago...

------------------------------

Bonnie L. Schultz
Missing since July 4, 1997 from Indianapolis, Marion County, Indiana
Classification: Endangered Missing

Vital Statistics
Date Of Birth: 1949
Age at Time of Disappearance: 47 years old
Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'7"; 160 lbs.
Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Brown hair; brown eyes; medium build and a medium complexion.

Circumstances of Disappearance
Schultz was last seen leaving a pub in the area of 62nd and Allisonville Road on the Northeast side of Indianapolis, Indiana on July 3, 1997.

She was driving a blue 1990 Mercury Sable, four door station wagon with Indiana '98 plate 99G9645. This vehicle has never been located.

Schultz was married and a mother of two children. In July of 1997, the Schultz family lived in the 4400 block of Clayburn Drive on the northwest side of Indianapolis. The night she disappeared, Bonnie had a conversation with her husband about marriage problems. After 26 years of marriage, Bonnie wanted a divorce. After their conversation at home, Bonnie left for a nighttime birthday party with co-workers from her part-time inventory job.

Bonnie was last seen at the Time Out Lounge near 62nd and Allisonville in the early morning hours of July 4, 1997. Bonnie was seen with a woman and a man, who both gave statements and were cooperative. Both said she was upset when she arrived, but that she settled down throughout the evening.

Witnesses told police Bonnie left alone in her car. When her husband woke up the next morning and found her gone, he called the police. Police monitored Bonnie's bank accounts and cell phone activity but found nothing.

Her family finds it unlikely that she left on her own, or committed suicide. Foul play is suspected.

Investigators
If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:
Marion County Sheriff's Department
Homicide and Robbery Section
317-231-8279
or
Communications Section
317-327-3811
IMPD Missing Person's
Detective Catherine Byron
317-327-6984
Agency Case Number: 97-30633A
Please refer to this number when contacting any agency with information regarding this case.

Source Information:
Marion County Sheriff's Department
WTHR 5/3/07
The Doe Network: Case File 1823DFIN

LINK:
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/1823dfin.html

Obviously the husband is a suspect. But to look at other possibilities: I would want to know if they had normal marital problems or if there was a sudden change in their marriage. I would look carefully at everyone she worked with at her inventory job. A predator would work on gaining her trust and might convince her to "run away" with him/her. Of course, she would not be planning on never coming back. It would be a perfect cover to insist she tell her husband she wanted a divorce BEFORE they went public with their relationship. After he/she was sure that people knew she'd told her husband she wanted a divorce but hadn't disclosed the secret relationship, the predator could strike. Or the husband did it. But why wouldn't LE have any evidence against her husband (the obvious suspect) after 10 years?

I worked with Bonnie. When she disappeared I hadn't seen her in about 9 months since I had found a more stable income job in a store and had quit working for the inventory company.
I remember her leaving a store early because her DD was about to get out of school for the day and the job was running longer than expected. She was very dedicated to her children. Many of us knew that she was not happy in her marriage and had talked about divorce.
I also knew the two people that she meet at the bar the night she disappeared. F I knew better than J. F was a wonderful person and would never hurt anyone.

I've often wondered if her car didn't go into a gully or pond on the way home from the party.

I think of her often even now nearly 11 years later.

I plugged in the address of where she left and where she lived and there are a couple of routes she might have traveled.

One of those routes takes her along the river. I believe it is the White River?

I wonder if she is in that river, since her car has never been found?

I went to school with Bonnie's kids and was friends with her daughter. B was so active in the kids' lives. Even that young, I knew she'd never leave them. No matter how unhappy she was, or what was going on, I don't think she would ever leave them behind.
It was so scary when all of the news vans started showing up at their house. When I saw the news, I was crushed. That awful day plays over and over in my head.

I didn't know if there's any hope left in anyone else, but I'm still praying. I know people can't just disappear. Someday, we will find her. I still have hope. Please don't give up just because 'it's been so long'. Keep the faith.
I pray for her and the kids every single day.

I too have thought about rivers and lakes, but if you search and look through all of the articles, it becomes clear that she most likely did arrive home, but somehow left again. The White River is awful. I wish there was some way to drain it. The fact that her car still has not been recovered is tough.
I wish there was more I could do to help. It's awful to know that this happened so close. To my friends.

Bumping.

NamUs - Bonnie Schultz
Project Jason - Missing Woman - Bonnie L. Schultz

-snip-
In 2008, Detective Kistner traveled to Kalamazoo in an attempt to get new leads in the case.

"I wanted to speak with Richard and Bonnie's children, who are now grown," Det. Kistner said. "Richard maintained that he knew nothing. He has made no attempts to locate his wife since her reported disappearance. Joshua still lives with Richard, who provides complete monetary support for his children. They have very limited association with any other family members. Both children refused to talk to me regarding their mother's disappearance. Gretchen stated that it would not change anything."

Unfortunately, Detective Kistner's trip to Michigan has yet to yield all of the information or results needed in the case and, as of today, neither Bonnie nor her blue station wagon have ever been located. Nevertheless, Kistner’s investigation is far from over.

The husband's polygraph indicated deception. I wonder if the daughter remembers anything from the night her mom disappeared... It's sad that they won't even talk to police anymore (according to an article posted on Project Jason)... Perhaps they do know what really happened to Bonnie.

Oddly enough- my second job (as a home care nurse) is only a block away from Bonnie's home. I have to believe that she is in water somewhere. Anytime someone goes missing WITH their vehicle- I am led in the same direction.

But- the subdivision would have been fairly new back then- an average, middle-class neighborhood. Mostly 3 bed/ 2 bath ranches with some split-level larger homes mixed in. A HUGE electric supply tower runs very near the home. It interferes with my radio when I drive under it!

According to the Charley Project, Bonnie had been having an affair with the male co-worker she was with at the bar that night. He and a female friend who was also there said Bonnie was upset when she arrived because she had had a bad fight with her husband and he was refusing to grant her a divorce.

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/s/schultz_bonnie.html

I plugged in the address of where she left and where she lived and there are a couple of routes she might have traveled.

One of those routes takes her along the river. I believe it is the White River?

I wonder if she is in that river, since her car has never been found?
I used to live near 62nd and Allisonville and this case has haunted me. My guess was that she ran off the road into the White River, perhaps near the Kessler Bridge. I don't think the Canal is deep enough but I could be wrong. However, I would think that IPD would have sent divers to the water sites along her route.

I live in area and drive past many sections of the White River often. I don’t think it’s deep enough to cover a car. I’ve also canoed many sections in Indy and you can easily stand up even in the middle of the river. Might be deep sections somewhere, I really don’t know.

If the husband is responsible, I’d think she is in a close pond or lake. Any walking distance from their home? If not, he would have needed help, someone to pick him up. Doubt this one will be solved short of a confession or anonymous tip. Sad for her kids.

I live in area and drive past many sections of the White River often. I don’t think it’s deep enough to cover a car. I’ve also canoed many sections in Indy and you can easily stand up even in the middle of the river. Might be deep sections somewhere, I really don’t know.

If the husband is responsible, I’d think she is in a close pond or lake. Any walking distance from their home? If not, he would have needed help, someone to pick him up. Doubt this one will be solved short of a confession or anonymous tip. Sad for her kids.
I think like your friend, it is probable that someone has helped the husband to dispose of the body and its belongings ...
Rest in peace Bonnie

I noticed this car that was found submerged in the White River is only 2 miles from where Bonnie was last seen. No info on it though, I suppose if it was hers that would've been said?
But that spot seems very plausible for an accident late at night, right off the main road.
Atleast shows that that river can hide a car, and it had "been there for quite a while"

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MichaelKeell
Back