1122 users online (240 members and 882 guests)  

Websleuths News

Couple touring home find woman's body

Couple touring home find woman's body

JANESVILLE, Wis. - This real estate agent will likely do a house check before letting her prospective customers tour on their own from now on, after a couple happened upon a homeowner dead in bed.

Linda Chabucos-Galow, a real estate agent with Shorewest, stood in the dining room while Justin and Colleen McKeen walked through a house Monday night.

Before long, she heard Colleen scream as the couple stood at the doorway.

"I thought, 'What's wrong?' Maybe it was a dead mouse or something," Chabucos-Galow said.

But then she peered into the bedroom and saw the body of Linda L. O'Leary, 55, the owner of the home. She had been dead for about two weeks, officials say.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070502/...V0wxqPGCrtiBIF

Very sad story and not a good outcome on the sale I'm sure. Hate to find dead bodies when trying to sell a property. Always check the property out first is a good rule of business.

Gozgals

How weird!!! Two weeks and no one noticed. I hope if I were dead for that long someone would miss me.
    I wonder if this women had recently had surgery for varicose veins and that is why she had on support hose.

IrishMist is offline You can't control the wind - but you can adjust your sails
    I thought it was odd that prospective buyers were allowed to tour a home without a realtor present. What's up with that?

Quote Originally Posted by IrishMist View Post
    I thought it was odd that prospective buyers were allowed to tour a home without a realtor present. What's up with that?

This is why I'm leary of putting my house on the market. I wouldn't want to work with an agent that lets strangers browse my home without supervision.

Looks like they would have noticed that the house didn't have that fresh, homey smell when they opened the door.

Agreed, why did the Realtor allow the people to walk through the home without her being with them? I have a friend who is trying to sell his house and he is leery of this very thing...he hides his valuables and takes his laptop with him every time he leaves the house for a showing.

Quote Originally Posted by IrishMist View Post
    I think the realtor was there, just stayed in the living room, while the prospective buyers went into the bedrooms.

[quote=Gina_M;1469244]Couple touring home find woman's body

JANESVILLE, Wis. - This real estate agent will likely do a house check before letting her prospective customers tour on their own from now on, after a couple happened upon a homeowner dead in bed.

Linda Chabucos-Galow, a real estate agent with Shorewest, stood in the dining room while Justin and Colleen McKeen walked through a house Monday night.

My mother is a real estate agent and is standard to stay in one room of the house and wait while people are checking it te rest of the house. She says it makes people uncomfortable ot stand over ther shoulder. But the agent in this case was definitely there so the people were not touring the house unaccompanied.

Quote Originally Posted by Pepper View Post
    I think the realtor was there, just stayed in the living room, while the prospective buyers went into the bedrooms.
    Hmmm... I'm betting that reading the actual article may have done me some good, huh?

Quote Originally Posted by Pepper View Post
    That would have been a definite no-no back when I was selling realestate. Unless the house was vacant and empty of all belongings, we never let a prospective buyer wander around alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Mabel View Post
    That would have been a definite no-no back when I was selling realestate. Unless the house was vacant and empty of all belongings, we never let a prospective buyer wander around alone.
    One of my step-moms was a realtor back in the day. She never would have allowed that, either, but I guess times have changed.

Quote Originally Posted by Jodibug View Post
    This is why I'm leary of putting my house on the market. I wouldn't want to work with an agent that lets strangers browse my home without supervision.
    I think most agents accompany their clients through homes they're showing. I stay right with my clients when we're viewing property.

Just make a point of conveying your concerns to your Realtor. Good luck!