Couple touring home find woman's body

Gina_M

Reaction score
Website
www.findmywayhome.org

JANESVILLE, Wis. - This real estate agent will likely do a house check before letting her prospective customers tour on their own from now on, after a couple happened upon a homeowner dead in bed.

Linda Chabucos-Galow, a real estate agent with Shorewest, stood in the dining room while Justin and Colleen McKeen walked through a house Monday night.

Before long, she heard Colleen scream as the couple stood at the doorway.

"I thought, 'What's wrong?' Maybe it was a dead mouse or something," Chabucos-Galow said.

But then she peered into the bedroom and saw the body of Linda L. O'Leary, 55, the owner of the home. She had been dead for about two weeks, officials say.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070502/ap_on_fe_st/odd_dead_tour;_ylt=ArfVTvocSz4NTZV0wxqPGCrtiBIF

Very sad story and not a good outcome on the sale I'm sure. Hate to find dead bodies when trying to sell a property. Always check the property out first is a good rule of business.

Gozgals

How weird!!! Two weeks and no one noticed. I hope if I were dead for that long someone would miss me.
I wonder if this women had recently had surgery for varicose veins and that is why she had on support hose.

I thought it was odd that prospective buyers were allowed to tour a home without a realtor present. What's up with that?

I thought it was odd that prospective buyers were allowed to tour a home without a realtor present. What's up with that?

This is why I'm leary of putting my house on the market. I wouldn't want to work with an agent that lets strangers browse my home without supervision.

Looks like they would have noticed that the house didn't have that fresh, homey smell when they opened the door.

Agreed, why did the Realtor allow the people to walk through the home without her being with them? I have a friend who is trying to sell his house and he is leery of this very thing...he hides his valuables and takes his laptop with him every time he leaves the house for a showing.

I think the realtor was there, just stayed in the living room, while the prospective buyers went into the bedrooms.

JANESVILLE, Wis. - This real estate agent will likely do a house check before letting her prospective customers tour on their own from now on, after a couple happened upon a homeowner dead in bed.

Linda Chabucos-Galow, a real estate agent with Shorewest, stood in the dining room while Justin and Colleen McKeen walked through a house Monday night.

My mother is a real estate agent and is standard to stay in one room of the house and wait while people are checking it te rest of the house. She says it makes people uncomfortable ot stand over ther shoulder. But the agent in this case was definitely there so the people were not touring the house unaccompanied.

I think the realtor was there, just stayed in the living room, while the prospective buyers went into the bedrooms.

Hmmm... I'm betting that reading the actual article may have done me some good, huh? :D :D

That would have been a definite no-no back when I was selling realestate. Unless the house was vacant and empty of all belongings, we never let a prospective buyer wander around alone.

That would have been a definite no-no back when I was selling realestate. Unless the house was vacant and empty of all belongings, we never let a prospective buyer wander around alone.

One of my step-moms was a realtor back in the day. She never would have allowed that, either, but I guess times have changed.

This is why I'm leary of putting my house on the market. I wouldn't want to work with an agent that lets strangers browse my home without supervision.

I think most agents accompany their clients through homes they're showing. I stay right with my clients when we're viewing property.

Just make a point of conveying your concerns to your Realtor. Good luck!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back