1126 users online (185 members and 941 guests)  

Websleuths News

KS - Mandi Alexander and Mary Drake murdered in Great Bend, Sept 2002

I saw Mandi profiled on Myspace but did not see a thread for her. Police still have not found the killer and are unsure of a motive.

http://www.myspace.com/mandialexander

Mandi Alexander was a clerk and Mary Drake was a customer at what used to be the Dolly Madison bread store.

It was business as usual here, until late that Wednesday afternoon.

Corey Latham: "We are looking at a time frame somewhere between 5:15 and 6 p.m."

A delivery man arrived to find the store locked.

He had a key for the back door....and when he went in....discovered Mandi and Mary stabbed to death...lying in a pool of blood.

Minutes before the bodies were discovered....a person wanting to shop at the store told police he arrived to find a man walking out the front door and locking it...saying the store was closed.

Money was missing...but it wasn't a lot....so investigators are not sure that robbery was the motive.

After questioning more than 600 people, there are many unanswered questions.

http://www.kwch.com/Global/story.asp?S=6059659

http://www.kansas.gov/kbi/mw_gbdollymadison.shtml

Southwestern Maine is home but I'm not there nearly often enough
    Quote Originally Posted by Link View Post
    Money was missing...but it wasn't a lot....
    Rather than the amount, it would be more useful to know if it's all the cash contained in the cash register that was missing or if some other than small change was left. In the absence of any connection between suspect and victims this appears to me as a junkie robbery gone awry. Small isolated shop could mean the guy didn't care how much money he could grab, as long as there was enough to cover his next fix, and a low level of risk involved.

Found another article with some additional info:

Great Bend Police Chief Dean Akings said, "There was money missing out of the cash register, and that, as far as motive is concerned, is all we know."

The murders took place on one of the city's busiest corners at the height of evening rush. So if robbery was the motive, it was a big risk.

"For what was taken out of there, if robbery was a motive, there's a whole lot of other places they could go for a whole lot more money," said Chief Akings.

http://www.wichitasedgwickcountycrim...alexander.html

Southwestern Maine is home but I'm not there nearly often enough
    Quote Originally Posted by Gina_M View Post
    The murders took place on one of the city's busiest corners at the height of evening rush. So if robbery was the motive, it was a big risk.
    Not necessarily, judging from the picture this store appears to be self-contained rather than being part of a cluster of shops in a little plaza, that's what I meant when I said isolated. I would imagine that such a location could be useful to a would-be robber desperate for quick cash because by counting the cars in the parking lot he can make an educated guess on how many customers may be inside the store. That's probably as far as planning ahead gets in a drug-starved brain.

But that's just speculation on my part based on a single picture and very few details, locals would be in a better position to comment.

possibilities

I wonder if they would have been taking out the trash before closing and if that is how someone gained entry or if the perp pretended to be a customer first. The last 2 transactions may not have been traced yet but they may not have been involved at all or they might be linked to the killer.

Double Homicide That Occurred At A Dolly Madison Bakery In Great Bend, Kansas

On September 4, 2002, 24 year old Mandi Alexander & 79 year old Mary Drake were victims of homicide that occurred at a Dolly Madison Bakery in Great Bend, Kansas.

Mandi had worked at the bakery for only 3 days when this happened. Mary was a customer of the bakery.

To date no one has been arrested in this case. Law enforcement continue to search for the person responsible for this horrible crime. A witness did see a man come out of the front door of the bakery & appeared to be locking it behind him. The witness was able to give the police information that produced a composite sketch of the suspect.

For more information on this case & to see a picture of the composite sketch please go to Mandi's page at www.myspace.com/mandialexander

There is a $17,000.00 reward leading to an arrest in this case.

Update - video images show person of interest:
    http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...ogID=332893491

So this guy just walks away after murdering two innocent people?

Someone out there knows something...this story makes me really angry.

It's been 12 years and still no answers.
    All posts are my own opinions, nothing more, nothing less.

Almost 14 years now and no answers.

Great Bend Tribune/02 September 2012:

Double homicide remains unsolved