674 users online (91 members and 583 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

The $67 Million Pants

A Washington, D.C., dry cleaners says its their business a long-time customer is taking to the cleaners. A $10 dry cleaning bill for a pair of lost trousers has ballooned into a $67 million civil lawsuit.

"People in America are now scared of each other,'' legal expert Philip Howard told ABC News' Law & Justice Unit. "That's why teachers won't put an arm around a crying child, and doctors order unnecessary tests, and ministers won't meet with parishioners. It's a distrust of justice and it's changing our culture.

http://abcnews.go.com/TheLaw/story?id=3119381&page=1

How absolutely ridiculous is this law suit?

Hey it's America remember

Quote Originally Posted by narlacat View Post
    Hey it's America remember
    I would have chastised you, sharing that I once lost the jacket of a favorite emerald green suit to the dry cleaners..... when I was first able to purchase semi expensive clothing for myself, and yes, while it was a favorite, I simply asked the cleaner to take a look for it..... Sure I was disappointed for awhile.....

but......

HOLY CRAP this is a (bleep) JUDGE who is suing over his pants!
    ~JMO~

A grandfather is someone with silver in his hair and gold in his heart. ~Author Unknown

Long Lost Love - Discovery ID - Disappeared - Bob Harrod Case

You can now purchase Mr. Harrod's Disappeared episode through Amazon, iTunes or YouTube.

This is horrible. What makes me maddest is that this guy is a judge. Is no one reading this story saying to themselves, "hmmm...maybe he doesn't have very good judgement. Maybe he should be impeached." or whatever it would take to remove him from his job. Because he's obviously an idiot!

I hope whomever does finally judge this gives the dry cleaners all of their legal fees plus some in return for this harrassment!

This cleaners had already lost two pairs of his pants over the years... why would he take his "favorite pair of trousers" to them then?!?! And they did try to settle after losing the 3rd pair... I think this judge is crazy!!!
    <snip>
    "He brought one pair in for alterations and they went missing -- gray trousers with what Pearson has described in court papers as having blue and red stripes on them.

First, Pearson demanded $1,150 for a new suit. Lawyers were hired, legal wrangling ensured, and eventually the Chungs offered Pearson $3000 in compensation.

No dice.

Then they offered him $4,600.

No dice.

Finally, they offered $12,000 for the missing gray trousers with the red and blue stripes.

Pearson said no.

With neither satisfaction nor his prized gray pants, Pearson upped the ante considerably.

The judge went to the lawbooks. Citing the District of Columbia's consumer protection laws, he claims he was entitled to $1,500 per violation.

Per day"

“Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth.” Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sr.

and....this from a Judge-------------

I so agree with the guy who said this is exactly what is ruining America- teachers wont put their arms around a crying child, doctors order all the unneccesary tests, etc,etc,etc--

This guy should be disbarred.

Oh my, this is just plain silly... money money money.. it's all about money.. What is happening to America? the world? Geez, I think God needs to send another flood, but spare the good ... We need to start over again... hehe

This post is my opinion only, and is subject to making me look totally confused

Quote Originally Posted by MagicRose99 View Post
    This cleaners had already lost two pairs of his pants over the years... why would he take his "favorite pair of trousers" to them then?!?! And they did try to settle after losing the 3rd pair... I think this judge is crazy!!!
    <snip>
    "He brought one pair in for alterations and they went missing -- gray trousers with what Pearson has described in court papers as having blue and red stripes on them.

First, Pearson demanded $1,150 for a new suit. Lawyers were hired, legal wrangling ensured, and eventually the Chungs offered Pearson $3000 in compensation.

No dice.

Then they offered him $4,600.

No dice.

Finally, they offered $12,000 for the missing gray trousers with the red and blue stripes.

Pearson said no.

With neither satisfaction nor his prized gray pants, Pearson upped the ante considerably.

The judge went to the lawbooks. Citing the District of Columbia's consumer protection laws, he claims he was entitled to $1,500 per violation.

Per day"
    Absolutely unbelievable!!! I can't believe this guy is a judge, I'm stunned. He refused a $12,000 offer for one pair of pants?! Ohmygosh, that's just crazy - whatever happened to common sense? The dry cleaners should give him the value of the item lost, and that's it. Mistakes happen, why oh why is everyone so sue-happy?!?! And coming from a judge just boggles my mind. I don't get it.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    *My posts are my opinions, expressed freely thanks to the First Amendment.*

Quote Originally Posted by PaperDoll View Post
    Oh my, this is just plain silly... money money money.. it's all about money.. What is happening to America? the world? Geez, I think God needs to send another flood, but spare the good ... We need to start over again... hehe
    Don't lump us in with America just yet thanks- your country is known for suing the pants off everyone and everything ( ) and what that guy said was spot on- stuff like this has changed your culture and ours is changing to be like yours- makes me so

I do not want our country to end up in the state yours is in.

so how about all the people who DON'T want their country to be like the U.S. is becoming move to (or stay in) australia,, and the idiots who DO want it to be like it is becoming stay here.. and we'll call it a deal,, eh...?

Quote Originally Posted by reb View Post
    so how about all the people who DON'T want their country to be like the U.S. is becoming move to (or stay in) australia,, and the idiots who DO want it to be like it is becoming stay here.. and we'll call it a deal,, eh...?
    lol- deal Reb- we need to knock off our top polly, he's the one pushing for Australia to copy America-

It will be a shame if we lose what makes us unique- already because we watch so much American tv-our language is changing- give us another 50 years and we will all be talking with an American accent

Quote Originally Posted by reb View Post
    I've got a feeling Australia doesn't have enough water to supply absolutely everyone who would like to live there. i may be wrong, but i heard a tour guide up north, when i was travelling there, say that.

Quote Originally Posted by Floh View Post
    I've got a feeling Australia doesn't have enough water to supply absolutely everyone who would like to live there. i may be wrong, but i heard a tour guide up north, when i was travelling there, say that.
    We are in a huge drought for sure- we are gonna do the recycle thing now-

OK guys......how about,, if i learn an australian accent to blend in with you,, i won't ask for any water. deal......?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast