The $67 Million Pants

Floh

Former Member
Reaction score
A Washington, D.C., dry cleaners says its their business a long-time customer is taking to the cleaners. A $10 dry cleaning bill for a pair of lost trousers has ballooned into a $67 million civil lawsuit.

"People in America are now scared of each other,'' legal expert Philip Howard told ABC News' Law & Justice Unit. "That's why teachers won't put an arm around a crying child, and doctors order unnecessary tests, and ministers won't meet with parishioners. It's a distrust of justice and it's changing our culture.

http://abcnews.go.com/TheLaw/story?id=3119381&page=1

How absolutely ridiculous is this law suit?

Hey it's America remember :p :truce:

I would have chastised you, sharing that I once lost the jacket of a favorite emerald green suit to the dry cleaners..... when I was first able to purchase semi expensive clothing for myself, and yes, while it was a favorite, I simply asked the cleaner to take a look for it..... Sure I was disappointed for awhile.....

but......

HOLY CRAP this is a (bleep) JUDGE who is suing over his pants!

This is horrible. What makes me maddest is that this guy is a judge. Is no one reading this story saying to themselves, "hmmm...maybe he doesn't have very good judgement. Maybe he should be impeached." or whatever it would take to remove him from his job. Because he's obviously an idiot!

:furious: :furious: :furious: :furious:

I hope whomever does finally judge this gives the dry cleaners all of their legal fees plus some in return for this harrassment!

This cleaners had already lost two pairs of his pants over the years... why would he take his "favorite pair of trousers" to them then?!?! And they did try to settle after losing the 3rd pair... I think this judge is crazy!!!
<snip>
"He brought one pair in for alterations and they went missing -- gray trousers with what Pearson has described in court papers as having blue and red stripes on them.

First, Pearson demanded $1,150 for a new suit. Lawyers were hired, legal wrangling ensured, and eventually the Chungs offered Pearson $3000 in compensation.

No dice.

Then they offered him $4,600.

No dice.

Finally, they offered $12,000 for the missing gray trousers with the red and blue stripes.

Pearson said no.

With neither satisfaction nor his prized gray pants, Pearson upped the ante considerably.

The judge went to the lawbooks. Citing the District of Columbia's consumer protection laws, he claims he was entitled to $1,500 per violation.

Per day"

and....this from a Judge-------------:doh: :banghead: :doh: :banghead:

I so agree with the guy who said this is exactly what is ruining America- teachers wont put their arms around a crying child, doctors order all the unneccesary tests, etc,etc,etc--:(

Oh my, this is just plain silly... money money money.. it's all about money.. What is happening to America? the world? :sick: Geez, I think God needs to send another flood, but spare the good ... We need to start over again... hehe :D :cool:

This cleaners had already lost two pairs of his pants over the years... why would he take his "favorite pair of trousers" to them then?!?! And they did try to settle after losing the 3rd pair... I think this judge is crazy!!!
<snip>
"He brought one pair in for alterations and they went missing -- gray trousers with what Pearson has described in court papers as having blue and red stripes on them.

First, Pearson demanded $1,150 for a new suit. Lawyers were hired, legal wrangling ensured, and eventually the Chungs offered Pearson $3000 in compensation.

No dice.

Then they offered him $4,600.

No dice.

Finally, they offered $12,000 for the missing gray trousers with the red and blue stripes.

Pearson said no.

With neither satisfaction nor his prized gray pants, Pearson upped the ante considerably.

The judge went to the lawbooks. Citing the District of Columbia's consumer protection laws, he claims he was entitled to $1,500 per violation.

Per day"

Absolutely unbelievable!!! I can't believe this guy is a judge, I'm stunned. He refused a $12,000 offer for one pair of pants?! Ohmygosh, that's just crazy - whatever happened to common sense? The dry cleaners should give him the value of the item lost, and that's it. Mistakes happen, why oh why is everyone so sue-happy?!?! And coming from a judge just boggles my mind. I don't get it.

Oh my, this is just plain silly... money money money.. it's all about money.. What is happening to America? the world? :sick: Geez, I think God needs to send another flood, but spare the good ... We need to start over again... hehe :D :cool:

Don't lump us in with America just yet thanks- your country is known for suing the pants off everyone and everything :)p ) and what that guy said was spot on- stuff like this has changed your culture and ours is changing to be like yours- makes me so :mad:

I do not want our country to end up in the state yours is in.

so how about all the people who DON'T want their country to be like the U.S. is becoming move to (or stay in) australia,, and the idiots who DO want it to be like it is becoming stay here.. and we'll call it a deal,, eh...?

so how about all the people who DON'T want their country to be like the U.S. is becoming move to (or stay in) australia,, and the idiots who DO want it to be like it is becoming stay here.. and we'll call it a deal,, eh...?

lol- deal Reb- we need to knock off our top polly, he's the one pushing for Australia to copy America-

It will be a shame if we lose what makes us unique- already because we watch so much American tv-our language is changing- give us another 50 years and we will all be talking with an American accent :doh:

I've got a feeling Australia doesn't have enough water to supply absolutely everyone who would like to live there. i may be wrong, but i heard a tour guide up north, when i was travelling there, say that.

I've got a feeling Australia doesn't have enough water to supply absolutely everyone who would like to live there. i may be wrong, but i heard a tour guide up north, when i was travelling there, say that.

We are in a huge drought for sure- we are gonna do the recycle thing now-

OK guys......how about,, if i learn an australian accent to blend in with you,, i won't ask for any water. deal......?

OK guys......how about,, if i learn an australian accent to blend in with you,, i won't ask for any water. deal......?

lol you are craking me up Reb- deal

I got picked up the other day about talking like an American, and I've never even been there lol
( I said reeeepeat, instead of repeat)

<I got picked up the other day about talking like an American, and I've never even been there lol>

hey narla, you'll probably learn far more about america by hanging around websleuths, then you ever will visiting here! LOL
and btw,, i don't believe i've ever said "reeepeat' like that..?? maybe up over dere in wis-CAAAAhn-sun dey took like de-at.... ya,,, i done no....!?

<I got picked up the other day about talking like an American, and I've never even been there lol>

hey narla, you'll probably learn far more about america by hanging around websleuths, then you ever will visiting here! LOL
and btw,, i don't believe i've ever said "reeepeat' like that..?? maybe up over dere in wis-CAAAAhn-sun dey took like de-at.... ya,,, i done no....!?

LOL about Wisconsin-

The friend who picked me up about it goes- that's from talking too much at Websleuths -lol- I said I cant hear them LOL

OMG, I just read about this...what a ridiculous lawsuit!

http://abcnews.go.com/TheLaw/Story?id=3119381&page=1

According to court papers, here's how Pearson calculates the damages and legal fees:

He believes he is entitled to $1,500 for each violation, each day during which the "Satisfaction Guaranteed" sign and another sign promising "Same Day Service" was up in the store -- more than 1,200 days.

And he's multiplying each violation by three because he's suing Jin and Soo Chung and their son.

He also wants $500,000 in emotional damages and $542,500 in legal fees, even though he is representing himself in court.

He wants $15,000 for 10 years' worth of weekend car rentals as well.

Ironically, less than a week after Pearson dropped off the missing trousers in 2005, Soo Chung found them, she says. She tried to return them to Pearson but he said they were the wrong pants.

:banghead:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mhenderson
Back