1085 users online (204 members and 881 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

UK - Adam Rickwood, 14: "I can't last much longer"

The youngest child to die in British custody wrote a heart-breaking letter to his parents threatening to kill himself two weeks before his death.

Adam Rickwood was 14 when he was found by staff at a juvenile detention centre hanged by his shoe laces from a curtain pole.
    The vulnerable teenager, who had a history of self-harming and was a regular cannabis user, had tried to take his life on a number of previous occasions.

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/a...mum/article.do

I honestly believe drugs have played a large part in this boy's history of self-harming.

I wonder if he was claustrophobic (undiagnosed) and his being locked up caused him to wig out?

His mother is very manly looking.
    FUN... is a renewable resource!

Quote Originally Posted by GlitchWizard View Post
    I wonder if he was claustrophobic (undiagnosed) and his being locked up caused him to wig out?

Er, yes. i noticed that too.

he could well have been claustrophobic. i do think he should have been kept an eye on more carefully.

Quote Originally Posted by Floh View Post
    The youngest child to die in British custody wrote a heart-breaking letter to his parents threatening to kill himself two weeks before his death.

Adam Rickwood was 14 when he was found by staff at a juvenile detention centre hanged by his shoe laces from a curtain pole.
    The vulnerable teenager, who had a history of self-harming and was a regular cannabis user, had tried to take his life on a number of previous occasions.

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/a...mum/article.do

I honestly believe drugs have played a large part in this boy's history of self-harming.
    Pot doesn't make you suicidal. Have you tried it?

Pot is generally a way to self medicate when you are have mental health issues. Obviously plenty use it just for recreation but just like alcohol pot is abused too.

Quote Originally Posted by lymom3 View Post
    Pot is generally a way to self medicate when you are have mental health issues. Obviously plenty use it just for recreation but just like alcohol pot is abused too.
    So is eating.

How sad.. he was so young... way to young actually... and yes, his mom looks like a man... I thought it was before I read the caption...

This post is my opinion only, and is subject to making me look totally confused

Quote Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
    So is eating.

Absolutely.

In the article, his Mom said he started to spiral downwards after the death of grandparents. I think his pot-smoking was a coping mechanism he used to handle his issues - I don't think it WAS the issue.

So sad - my prayers to his family.
    I do not intend to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death!

I deleted my previous post, I should not have snickered at the remark, it was insensitive of me.

My sympathies to the family also.

Quote Originally Posted by GlitchWizard View Post
    No doubt!

How very sad. This little boy must have just felt helpless.

I think they have the wrong photo, as if this is really a female she is also dressed like a man, in a dress shirt with tie. Odd, but I doubt it has anything to do with the case.

Scandi

Quote Originally Posted by scandi View Post
    How very sad. This little boy must have just felt helpless.

I think they have the wrong photo, as if this is really a female she is also dressed like a man, in a dress shirt with tie. Odd, but I doubt it has anything to do with the case.

Scandi
    I just googled her name and found a family photo. That is his mom.

I just ran across this article at Fox about marijuana:
    http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,269340,00.html
    Doctors: Pot triggers psychotic symptoms

(excerpt)
    Doctors at Yale University in the U.S. tested the impact of THC on 150 healthy volunteers and 13 people with stable schizophrenia. Nearly half of the healthy subjects experienced psychotic symptoms when given the drug.
    While the doctors expected to see marijuana improve the conditions of their schizophrenic subjects — since their patients reported that the drug calmed them — they found that the reverse was true. (more at link)

Quote Originally Posted by Taximom View Post
    I just ran across this article at Fox about marijuana:
    http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,269340,00.html
    Doctors: Pot triggers psychotic symptoms

(excerpt)
    Doctors at Yale University in the U.S. tested the impact of THC on 150 healthy volunteers and 13 people with stable schizophrenia. Nearly half of the healthy subjects experienced psychotic symptoms when given the drug.
    While the doctors expected to see marijuana improve the conditions of their schizophrenic subjects — since their patients reported that the drug calmed them — they found that the reverse was true. (more at link)
    Interesting article. The article says the "psychotic symptoms" marijuana can induce are paranoia and hallucinations.

Pot can definitely make you paranoid and have hallucinations. In someone with a normal brain chemistry, a little paranoia and minor visual disturbances are actually kind of funny and enjoyable. But to someone with schizophrenia, I'm sure these side effects are more severe and dangerous from a mental health standpoint.
    I do not intend to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast