Deer Teecher, Lern to Spell!

LOL, that is pretty funny, I hope the teacher uses a spell check next time :)

i ment upset cuz it said they may not be able to attend prom.

This is so irritating! I can not believe how many people are incapable of using spell check! My son's teacher spelled his name wrong the whole school year!! She insisted on labeling their folders etc herself, so every time he brought something home that had his name misspelled I would attach a note stating that ISAAC must have grabbed the wrong one, because the one he brought home belongs to someone named ISSAC. It's not hard to remember how to spell his name correctly, and if she were the God-loving christian she claimed to be she could crack open her Bible and learn how to spell it right.

This is so irritating! I can not believe how many people are incapable of using spell check! My son's teacher spelled his name wrong the whole school year!! She insisted on labeling their folders etc herself, so every time he brought something home that had his name misspelled I would attach a note stating that ISAAC must have grabbed the wrong one, because the one he brought home belongs to someone named ISSAC. It's not hard to remember how to spell his name correctly, and if she were the God-loving christian she claimed to be she could crack open her Bible and learn how to spell it right.

Because of a health problem my daughter has, I have been communicating with her school nurse all year long. Nice woman, very caring, but she irritatingly misspells my daughter's name consistently. Even when I spell it in the email or even in the topic, she still misspells it. Some people are just name stubborn, I guess.

My grandmother has misspelled my daughters name all of her life and she is 16. Abbie, Abbey, Abbi, the correct spelling is Abby!!! Oh well gotta love her!

I am simply an awful speller. I taught school for 16 years. A dictionary and spell check have always and will always be my best friends. Still, I often spell words incorrectly, especially on WS, where my mouth moves faster than my brain.

From a teacher's point of view, and to repeat the concerns which I have posted about many, many times here at WS, parents NEED to KNOW what is going on in their local school systems. Teachers are often so busy attempting to maintain a level of safety for students inside their classroom that the need to use 'spell check' has fallen very far down their list of priorities...

The constant removal of the sharpened pencil from 'the behavior disordered' child's hand, only minutes before he stabs your child in the shoulder with his 'latest weapon of destruction', most probably, has become much more important in the eyes of your child's teacher than whether he/she spelled a word correctly.

Teachers are human. So are doctors, lawyers, and all other professionals. They all make mistakes. Their reputations preceed them. Spelling is a part of that reputation and teachers should use caution to insure that both students and parents respect them for the position which they hold. Without a positive rapport and a healthy respect between students, parents and the teacher, a teacher's job of discipline for the purpose of maintaining safety within his/her classroom is virtually 'out the window'.

If an issue between a teacher and yourself is important enough that it has upset you, as your child's parent, please address it in a 'serious nature' in a note or phone call to the teacher. If that does no good, take it to the administrator of your child's school. Daily frustrations with no resolution, at home between you and the teacher rarely go unnoticed by your child. Often, those feelings will be carried on for years to come and they will be associated with the title "teacher" rather than with the individual who cared so little to even attempt correct the problem. That gives 'teachers' who do care a bad name and ultimately it hurts your child.

I sincerely wish that I could have had Isaac in my classroom when I taught. His, is a beautiful name, which I am sure matches perfectly a beautiful child.

(Many names today are very difficult... I do not understand parents who think that naming their child should be funny...

Ty Land, Shoney's, Jack Daniels, Candy Cain, Harry Bush, Dick Trickle, Curtis Mathis, Pondcel and Bacardi, just to recall a few which I have taught, heard of locally or on TV...

My hubby's aunt was named Elsie Mae. It was the name of a cow on a milk commercial when she was growing up. God Bless her. She later changed her name to Teri... I still accidently spell it with two 'r's' from time to time. Thank goodness as long as I don't write "Elsie Mae", she loves me anyway...)

Because of a health problem my daughter has, I have been communicating with her school nurse all year long. Nice woman, very caring, but she irritatingly misspells my daughter's name consistently. Even when I spell it in the email or even in the topic, she still misspells it. Some people are just name stubborn, I guess.

Another thought, my graduate school, college roommate had dyslexia. She had an undergraduate degree in Special Education and was also working on her masters degree at the time we were roommates.

There are professionals out in the work force, with college degrees who are battling their own issues such as dyslexia. (Did I spell "dyslexia" correctly???)

Another thought, my graduate school, college roommate had dyslexia. She had an undergraduate degree in Special Education and was also working on her masters degree at the time we were roommates.

There are professionals out in the work force, with college degrees who are battling their own issues such as dyslexia. (Did I spell "dyslexia" correctly???)

Yes, you spelled it correctly.

I think that if my child had gotten this letter, first I'd have to stop laughing to call the school first. I mean, I understand that teachers are busy -- I used to be one as well. But really, OMG, if she had the time to type it, she could have at least proofread the stupid thing before she took all the time to print it AND mass-produce it for sending.

BTW, I don't trust spell check -- because homophones (words that sound the same but are different in spelling and meaning) will still come up and words used out of context will also not show.

Yes, you spelled it correctly.

I think that if my child had gotten this letter, first I'd have to stop laughing to call the school first. I mean, I understand that teachers are busy -- I used to be one as well. But really, OMG, if she had the time to type it, she could have at least proofread the stupid thing before she took all the time to print it AND mass-produce it for sending.

BTW, I don't trust spell check -- because homophones (words that sound the same but are different in spelling and meaning) will still come up and words used out of context will also not show.

The same here. (and I was not making excuses for the teacher who wrote this and sent it, however, it does amaze me, how much attention is paid to less important issues than the safety of our children/students...IMO, it should ALWAYS be top on our list of concerns. Instead, people assume that school systems are following their safety plans to the letter when, in reality, many are seriously BS'in the public.)

The same here. (and I was not making excuses for the teacher who wrote this and sent it, however, it does amaze me, how much attention is paid to less important issues than the safety of our children/students...IMO, it should ALWAYS be top on our list of concerns. Instead, people assume that school systems are following their safety plans to the letter when, in reality, many are seriously BS'in the public.)

I totally agree. Schools often say one thing and do something else (hmmmm.... politicians do it too -- always a connection here). I had a student similar to that (and a few rowdy ones too), and safety is as much common sense -- and keeping your senses -- as anything. But this lady apparently either was too preoccupied or too angry to worry about what she was printing off in the teacher's lounge.

Also, the article said she was being "evaluated." Wonder if they hadn't noticed anything like this before from her.... Obviously someone should have seen something of the work she's done before to see if this is the NORM or something abnormal.

No argument from me and a great point.

Deer Pairints,

Yur chilldrin r stoopid.

Sighned,
Thu Teechur

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads