Thread: Music Teacher Makes 7-Year-Old Hit Himself in Head With Drum Mallots

Music Teacher Makes 7-Year-Old Hit Himself in Head With Drum Mallots

i am unsure where to post this. it does seem to fall under the bizzar heading and i wish it was under the crimes heading... http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,270061,00.html

From that article:
    The state agency's report quotes student witnesses as saying: "Mr. Provencio told Justin Barricklow to hit himself in the head with a set of soft mallets. ... Mr. Provencio then gave Justin a set of hard mallets and directed him to hit himself in the head as hard as he could. ... Mr. Provencio asked Justin, 'How did that feel? That's how the drums felt."'

The mallets in question have round ends made of hard plastic.

Provencio, who has taught for 13 years, told investigators he was teaching the child how to treat the drums.

"Paul Provencio stated he encouraged Justin Barricklow to hit himself in the head as a 'teaching technique' used to address appropriate care for instruments," the report states. Provencio forced Justin to strike himself again later, in front of a substitute teacher who entered the room, according to the report.
    Still more at link.

That's just unbelievable!!! Glad to hear he "won't return", but does that mean he's still able to teach elsewhere? He's taught for 13 years - I think he needs to find a new career.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    *My posts are my opinions, expressed freely thanks to the First Amendment.*

My almost 7-year-old would be delighted to hit himself in the head with drum mallots without being told to do so by anyone!
    I do not intend to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death!

Quote Originally Posted by southcitymom View Post
    My almost 7-year-old would be delighted to hit himself in the head with drum mallots without being told to do so by anyone!

My 12 year old son would hit himself as well and think it was fun

I guess my question is was he having him tap his head lightly with the mallet so he could tell how hard he should or shouldn't hit the drums or was this a punishment of some kind!!!!!!

It looks like a rather misguided attempt to help the drummer learn to moderate how hard they strike the drum to me.

Quote Originally Posted by KatK View Post
    It looks like a rather misguided attempt to help the drummer learn to moderate how hard they strike the drum to me.
    "Misguided" being the operative word, for sure!
    I do not intend to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death!

once again... how on earth does stuff like this ever make national news....?? i mean, geez, who cares?? do they want us to think the guy's like hannibal lechter or something...??

Schools would never tolerate a student hitting another student as hard as they could in the head with a hard object, so no one associated with the school should be allowed to force a child to hit their own self in the head. It is worthy of news attention if even only a few people are glad that it was reported. I wouldn't want this man to teach my kids music.

Quote Originally Posted by txsvicki View Post
    Schools would never tolerate a student hitting another student as hard as they could in the head with a hard object, so no one associated with the school should be allowed to force a child to hit their own self in the head. It is worthy of news attention if even only a few people are glad that it was reported. I wouldn't want this man to teach my kids music.

No a student hitting another student with a hard object would not be tolerated but, these are not at all hard. I think that this has been blown way out of proportion.

Cubby is offline 50K reward, Bob Harrod-Missing: Call Det. Radomski 714-993-8176
    Misguided from someone with 15 years experience teaching 7 yr olds? Misguided or frustrated in his work? An adult teaching a child to hit himself in the head to demonstrate his point?

There is a reason insurance companies offer employee assistance programs. He needs it or boot him.
    ~JMO~

A grandfather is someone with silver in his hair and gold in his heart. ~Author Unknown

Long Lost Love - Discovery ID - Disappeared - Bob Harrod Case

You can now purchase Mr. Harrod's Disappeared episode through Amazon, iTunes or YouTube.

Websleuths Resource Center

Call Kurtis - Psychics and the Missing

OK, i agree, he was out o'line... a teacher should not encrouage a kid to beat himself in the head...! but still, worthy of a national news story..?? i think not...

Quote Originally Posted by sleuthin4fun View Post
    No a student hitting another student with a hard object would not be tolerated but, these are not at all hard. I think that this has been blown way out of proportion.

I was just going by the news story that said the things were hard. Maybe it is blown out of proportion. I remember my daughter's piano teacher rapping them on the knuckles with a ruler and telling them that is how the piano feels. Of course, she didn't hurt them but they didn't like it one bit. I didn't make a big deal of it either since she was an elderly lady and I figured that's how she was taught.