IN - Three-year-old survives dog attack

If it had of been a pit this child would proberly be dead.

Dobermans, Pit Bulls, and Rotweilers are the ones that usually cause a death. And that girl is darn lucky she's alive.

Each year, there are several deaths reported in our area where a pit bull has killed someone. There's a reason they are banned. And the owners went to prison.

I just don't understand why anyone would want one of these dogs. I couldn't live with myself if I owned an animal like that and it killed someone.

Any dog can bite, and cause harm, but it's always three or four different breeds.

http://www.understand-a-bull.com/BSL/OtherBreedBites/AllDogsBite.htm

Please take a look. Because it is a pro pit website those are not listed but we here those every day. Here are the ones you dont hear about. So we should own any of these? Huskies seem to be on the top 3. I break all the rules set by my OLD vet. 2 males can not be together, they both cant live in the house, cant eat out of the same dish....the list well it goes on forever. But because I have training and I choose to take my dogs to classes 2 times per year my dogs would NEVER bite any child. I have 9 little ones who come over and play with them from age 5 to 18 and I have never once felt anything wrong. BTW my dogs are 11 and 10 this year. I have also had pits. They are not what people make them out to be. Yes they can cause serious damage, if raised and bred right they are the most loving dogs you will come in contact with. Mine were at classes every other month and always in traing at home. Those girls were by far the best dogs I have ever own, but due to all the hate twords pits my BF wont let me have one. Most of the ones who attack are abused in many ways. I strongly believe if the dog bites it does need to be put down but not outlaw them forever. Higher fines and jail time and higher costing permits and maybe home visits somehow on the owner If has to be people who know how to deal with them just as you have to learn about any other dog. My point is I still love the breed and will fight for them as long as I live. I will also fight for there to be tougher laws and such.

Not all pitts that attack are abused.......our friend had one that was well trained and very well looked after but that didnt stop it attacking and killing a Dalmation.....the owner of the pitt and the owner of the dalmation where both unable to pull the pitt off.:mad: ......it wasnt happy until it had its kill.

http://www.wthr.com/Global/story.asp?S=6466636&Call=Email&Format=HTML

Thought I would share this with my fellow pit bull lovers. I also wanted to show that pits are NOT the only dogs. You hear about it all the time because the media wants you to see it. I also love how nice they speak of the dog. If it had been a pit believe me the words they use for the dog would be much more mean.

I know there is good and bad in every breed. Sorry to say I hate Pits. My 10 year old nephew was mauled by two pit bulls on Christmas day back in the early 90's. He is very lucky to be alive and by the grace of God a neighbor (they lived on a farm) heard him screaming and managed to help him get away from them. He had a shovel and would knock the dogs back until he was able to climb over a fence to get away from them.

He had over 3000 stitches in his body and this was just the areas they were able to stitch. He had chunks of skin, muscle and tissue gone down to the bone the size of golf balls and larger. These had to be packed with gauze until he was able to have grafts done. They had to treat him like a burn patient and take him to water tanks daily to repack these wounds.

The people that owned these dogs had no insurance at all, and you can just imagine the devestation it did to his family with this kind of medical bills. His parent's divorced because his dad was not able to handle what happened to him. He underwent many, many years of treatments until he was old enough to realize it was not doing him any good with his deep scars.

We found out after all this happened these two dogs had escaped their pen a fews weeks before and killed a calf. These dogs should have been put down then, and not have been allowed to do this to a child that was just out playing with his new basketball he had gotten for Christmas with the little neighbor boy in his yard.

Sorry, I cannot have any sympahty for people that have any of those breed of dogs, and not take the responsibility that goes along with having them. I do not mean just pits I mean all the ones that area known to do these kind of things to people.

Maybe the can pass a law that if you own a breed that is known to do these things you are required by law to carry am insurance rider on your homeowners policy to cover any damage or death they may cause. It would be of no comfort at all to the families that are suffering because of death, or a disfigured family member. It would just be nice for someone to take some responsibility with these kinds of dogs running around loose.

I am so sorry about your nephew. I wish the laws were tougher so people who shouldnt have them wont.

Not all pitts that attack are abused.......our friend had one that was well trained and very well looked after but that didnt stop it attacking and killing a Dalmation.....the owner of the pitt and the owner of the dalmation where both unable to pull the pitt off.:mad: ......it wasnt happy until it had its kill.

You're totally correct, many are loving family pets.

I am so sorry about your nephew. I wish the laws were tougher so people who shouldnt have them wont.

Thank you honey. I know better than anyone about how much people love their animals. I would give my own life for mine if some dog or person attacked them. I never had kids so they are my babies.

I agree not all pits and other dogs are bad. It is the blasted irresponsible owners that do not keep them in their own yard, or train them. They should have jail time for being so careless, and then have to pay restitution to the ones that have been hurt or lost a love one. A dog only knows what it is taught and how they are treated.

We all know why so many of these dogs get a bad rap it is the owners without an ounce of sense in their head. The drug people that train them to be aggressive. Until we stand up and force the lawmakers to change the laws to hold them responsible it will be the same thing over and over.

I truly believe if a dog is aggressive one time it will happen again. Like with my nephew once it was known they had killed that calf they should have been put down that day. Neighbors threatened to burn them out after finding out what happened with Thomas. People were furious with this family. They finally had to pack up and move away.

The really funny thing about this whole story Thomas still adores dogs. He never turned away from animals after what happened to him.

Sassy, I'm so sorry to hear about your nephew, and so glad he is ok today.

So many stories about dogs. My sister has a border collie eskimo mix, which has to be the most neurotic dog I've seen. It is fine with a few members of my family and not with others. Now that she has future step children, two of the family members who get along with the dog, have to keep her every other weekend.

I was bit by a chow once, although it was my fault. I was trying to bring her inside..... I went to tap her with my foot not thinking, and she really dug into my knee. She never attacked a human, but she and the male she was mated with a few times ( owner had both ) tore apart a racoon in the driveway. She actually died from having a heart attack while barking at the door at someone.... She was barking pretty furiously (sp?), and it was a friend of her owner.....

As far as Dobs go....... A friend of mine, who is now a groomer, used to breed horses..... Spook, was by far the gentlest large dog I have ever seen. This dob had a better temperment than all of the Goldens I have ever been around. Including my own fathers....... She took that dog every year to the Kentucky Derby, all over the hotel. owners younger sis. I could sit and wrap my arms around this dogs neck and hold it for a long long hug.

I think a good percentage of this has to do with the dogs temperament regardless of breed and owners respsonibility or lack of..... Irresponsible pet owners of any kind bother me tremendously.

What concerned me reading this story was that the Doberman was put down after four days because they couldn't find its' owner.

I know that here in Florida the animal has to be kept alive for ten days to make sure it exhibits no signs of rabies.

Since they euthanized after only four days, I wonder if this means that the little girl will have to go through rabies shots.

I've seen pitts both sweet and ugly. This is a sad shame, no matter what the breed.

This is the second Dobie story I've heard this bad. The other one was years ago---an owner fell asleep on his couch. They found him later---his own dogs had attacked him in his sleep and mauled him to death. He never made it off the couch.

Sassy, I'm so sorry to hear about your nephew, and so glad he is ok today.

So many stories about dogs. My sister has a border collie eskimo mix, which has to be the most neurotic dog I've seen. It is fine with a few members of my family and not with others. Now that she has future step children, two of the family members who get along with the dog, have to keep her every other weekend.

I was bit by a chow once, although it was my fault. I was trying to bring her inside..... I went to tap her with my foot not thinking, and she really dug into my knee. She never attacked a human, but she and the male she was mated with a few times ( owner had both ) tore apart a racoon in the driveway. She actually died from having a heart attack while barking at the door at someone.... She was barking pretty furiously (sp?), and it was a friend of her owner.....

As far as Dobs go....... A friend of mine, who is now a groomer, used to breed horses..... Spook, was by far the gentlest large dog I have ever seen. This dob had a better temperment than all of the Goldens I have ever been around. Including my own fathers....... She took that dog every year to the Kentucky Derby, all over the hotel. owners younger sis. I could sit and wrap my arms around this dogs neck and hold it for a long long hug.

I think a good percentage of this has to do with the dogs temperament regardless of breed and owners respsonibility or lack of..... Irresponsible pet owners of any kind bother me tremendously.

Thank you honey is a wonderful young man. I am very proud of him.

YW! Sassy.

I forgot to add my pit story. A few years ago, a neighbor had a pit that was still a puppy. The dog would somehow manage to get off it's lease and run when it's owners call him or her...... Knowing there are so many kids running around in the area, for some reason the dog would answer to me - typical "kid" but not it's owners and she would let me walk her - I always only grabbed the end of the leash - home.

The dog was only about 8 mo's or so, but amazingly strong. She decided, she had to sit on my lap on the couch and kiss my face. I couldn't for the life of me lean forward to get her to stop....... Far stronger than even a full grown Dane. Fortunately those neighbors were renters and didn't last too long.

Pits lead attacks and killing humans by a looooooong shot!! It is just complete that they are given a bum wrap and just reported about more!! That excuse is weaker than my daughters baby finger. Pit lovers rally when theres another breed attacking someone so they can get up on their soap box and hollar "look look look!" GARBAGE. How many more children have to die in such a horrific way before people realize ITS A BREED THING!!!

(Above rant not directed at Indy Gal but rather a reaction to the link, don't mean to be rude)

Indy Gal IF you're our sweet poster who is taking care of the pit puppy your son rescued and are taking amazing preacutions then good for you but that does not sway me one bit to change how I feel about the breed....

I'm curious(if I got your story right) IF you take all the precautions that you mentioned before can you tell me why you do?

Jubie

Yeah, the rabies thing concerned me as well. But I would guess they sent the head off for testing?

Pitts dont just attack children ....they can kill fully grown adults.....these dogs seem to have no fear.
Why anyone would want to own a killing machine has me baffled.....the owners themselves know how dangerous they are..thats why so many precautions are needed.

Sassy,

We hear about the attacks and then almost always the story fades. Sadly your nephews life changed forever and for many families they're planning funerals. I'm so sorry for your nephew.

This is one of those things I find baffling!!! With all the many many breeds I simply want to know WHY!

Jubie

I have had 2 sweet pits in the past. But I think you have me confused with someone else. I stand behind how I feel 100%. I will fight for these dogs until I no longer breathe.

OK, for the millionth time.. yeah, duh, we know pit bull are not the ONLY dogs to attack people!! hello!! but they are MOSTLY the ones who attack people, the most prone to "snapping", and the ones who are usually capable of causing the most damage.. and they are the ones who are bred to be bigger and stronger and tougher and more prone to fight to the kill, and to kill just for the heck of it.

ad the other posters have said.. IF IT WERE A PIT BULL, THE KID WOULD DEFINITELY BE DEAD.. and probably torn to shreds... i.e., she would have no face left!!! the father would have come in and he would have attacked him too. yeah, any dog can be vicious but pit bulls are about 10X more likely to be.. and more LIKELY TO DO SERIOUS DAMAGE, AND TO KILL PEOPLE AND OTHER LIVING THINGS. they are killing machines, and people have bred them specifically (physically and often mentally) to be that way.

what about this is so difficult for people to understand.....????

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
legalpyro74
Back