1115 users online (232 members and 883 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Rapper Axed By Verizon Over Simulated Rape

I like a couple of Akon's songs, but his actions were inappropriate and I applaud Verizon for their decision. Now I guess the only question that remains, is when are Jackson and Sharpton gonna come out swinging about this???
    http://www.tmz.com/2007/05/04/akon-a...ged-fake-rape/

Rapper Akon has been fired by Verizon -- and is being threatened with prosecution -- after he reportedly simulated a rape of a 15-year-old on stage during a concert in Trinidad a few weeks ago.

Verizon promoted Akon as one of the musicians on its mobile-phone music service, and said it would no longer sponsor the Gwen Stefani tour in which Akon, who recently performed on "American Idol," is the opening act.

The rapper invited 15-year-old Danah Alleyne onto the stage, and the girl obliged, thinking that she was entering a dance contest to win a "trip to Africa," as Akon promised. But when Alleyne "won" the contest, the "trip to Africa" turned out to be an on-stage encounter with Akon during which her "head was hitting the floor, said Alleyne to the Trinidad Express (via FOX News).

In its account of the incident, the Trinidad Express said that the "Smack That" rapper was "turning, twisting and even flipping [the girl's] body," while "mimicking sexual positions" and sandwiching the girl with the assistance of another performer. The Security Minister Fitzgerald Hinds said, in FOX News' report, that Akon should be prosecuted. (more at link)

come on white rain,, why are you picking on him? he was just exercising his creative, artistic freedom of expression! now you better celebrate diversity-- OR ELSE!!

ha-- a mind is a terrible thing to waste.. indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by reb View Post
    come on white rain,, why are you picking on him? he was just exercising his creative, artistic freedom of expression! now you better celebrate diversity-- OR ELSE!!

ha-- a mind is a terrible thing to waste.. indeed.
    Oh come on Reb...all he did was simulate a RAPE, and on a MINOR no less...oh well, at least he didn't call her a "nappy-headed ho"...thats worse than child rape right????

well, he needs to be prosecuted of course,and sent to jail--and jail is nothing new with these kind of "artists" lol

So glad he was dropped. These actions will go further than any of our words.

<Oh come on Reb...all he did was simulate a RAPE, and on a MINOR no less...oh well, at least he didn't call her a "nappy-headed ho"...thats worse than child rape right????>

no, that would have been OK too, because he was black!

and yeah, i'm sure jail will only add to his bad-ass rapper credibility.. and the groupies will throw themselves at him by the millions, all wanting him to father their children.

such class.

Quote Originally Posted by concernedperson View Post
    So glad he was dropped. These actions will go further than any of our words.

You are right about that. It makes me sad to know that, but at least one company stood up for whats right.
    I don't like Verizon, personally, but suddenly they have made a big step forward in my eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by reb View Post
    <Oh come on Reb...all he did was simulate a RAPE, and on a MINOR no less...oh well, at least he didn't call her a "nappy-headed ho"...thats worse than child rape right????>

no, that would have been OK too, because he was black!

and yeah, i'm sure jail will only add to his bad-ass rapper credibility.. and the groupies will throw themselves at him by the millions, all wanting him to father their children.

such class.
    you're right..he's black, he could say/sing whatever...I forgot he belongs to the black/rapper/artist/elite "say-what-I-wanna-say-and-its-ok-cause-I'm-black."

?? Why are you bringing race into this? I don't see anyone defending him based on color or otherwise. He's an idiot who went to far and got fired - glad to hear it, but it's not reflective of race or anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by Details View Post
    ?? Why are you bringing race into this? I don't see anyone defending him based on color or otherwise. He's an idiot who went to far and got fired - glad to hear it, but it's not reflective of race or anything else.

I think we are just joking on the Imus thread...didn't mean it literally, I think Reb and I are two of the few who feel that some things done in the media these days are based on a black/white scale, (am I making ANY sense here???) ...and yes, I am glad Verizon let him go whether White or Black...

Thanks. Yeah, there are some different standards - although they're being worked out. I can see differences between white and black in the media - but there's also a lot where it's not about race that is being turned into race - and I never like that - whether it's a Sharpton doing it, or any one else of any other race doing it.

But this one at least - no one seems to be having any issues with him being fired.

we didn't 'bring' race into this.. it was already there.

rappers are very-well known for this type of thing.. just look at the thousands of videos that all look the same. it's nothing new.. this was just a particularly blatant case (plus she was underage).. and not to mention lying about the 'trip to africa' contest....?? i hope she sues.

but yes of COURSE it was wrong and stupid, no matter what color we're talking about.

The guy happens to be black - but black or white rappers are pretty repugnant. But what drew my attention was the idea that this guy would be defended - by Jackson, Sharpton, or people turning it into a racial matter. That hasn't happened, no sign of it happening.

And while rappers do a lot of sexual stuff - underage is hugely different from adult women. So I don't think that just because strongly sexually themed and even more than a little degrading to women acts are generally accepted, that you'd expect that pedophile-themed acts would be accepted by the same community. That's like saying because you like sex, or because you use sex toys, you'd be turned on by a little girl/boy. It's extremely different.

I just think there's plenty to call rappers, Sharpton, Jackson, heck, anyone at all, on - without exaggerating into things that aren't happening. There is no one defending the act, going after Verizon, making speeches.

Just being black doesn't bring race into it, any more than race is involved when it's a white criminal or idiot.

Odd, that this is just getting media attention now. I swear I read about this video a couple of weeks ago. From what I remember then, the girl's father is a minister and made a huge deal about this once the video was released. I know what I am going to say here is not very popular, but when I watched the video (not available anymore), I remember the girl laughing, grinning, etc. She did not look upset or offended in the slightest bit. While I found the entire thing distasteful, there was nothing that led me to believe the girl was not having fun. At the time, I remember thinking that a father had been shocked and horrified by the video and was placing the blame on Akon, and not really seeing his daughter's actions. Although I will say I don't remember seeing the girl's head hitting the floor.

Personally, I like maybe one or two of Akon's songs, but this song is not one of them. I like the beat, but that's about it. It is a highly sexual song and this act he does on stage, has become routine in all of his shows. For example, he did this once with Tara Reid on stage, and I am sure that video is still available online. I find the whole thing cringe worthy, but I also wouldn't jump on stage to dance to a song called Smack that, with lyrics such as the following:

"i see the one, because she be that lady! hey!
    i feel you creeping, i can see it from my shadow
    wanna jump up in my lamborghini gallardo
    maybe go to my place and just kick it like taebo
    and possibly bend you over look back and watch me

(chorus (2x)
    smack that all on the floor
    smack that give me some more
    smack that 'till you get sore
    smack that oh-oooh!"

Crap, I submitted that post before I was finished.

The first time I saw Akon in that Verizon commercial - think it was Verizon - where he was sitting on the airplane, I was pretty shocked that a company would attach themselves to such a controversial artist. He did an interview this past year where he admitted that he had 3 wives and his label freaked out and tried to stop the story.

As for the race isssue (which I think is pretty irrelevant in this story) I find it rather amusing that it keeps being brought up by some posters when no one else is even discussing it. You have a problem when you allege that the so called race card is played, yet you discuss it constantly, even when no one else has.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast