Convicted Rapist Running for School Board

sherri79

Former Member
Reaction score
Parents in one Oregon town are upset with one of the candidates in their upcoming school board election.

He's a convicted rapist.

His victim, Amanda Grudzien, says she can't believe it, and is speaking out to alert voters of his past.

She was 15 when the attack occurred

The District Attorney and school superintendent say there's nothing they can do to prevent Matthews from running for office.

Even more shocking is that he's already been volunteering at one local school.

http://www.firstcoastnews.com/news/strange/news-article.aspx?storyid=81445

:behindbar

I doubt anyone will actually vote for him, if they know he's a convicted rapist...but still! :banghead:

This makes me sick to my stomach. My rapist (all though never convicted, as I didn't tell anyone until years later) is now a police officer.

If he was convicted of rape, shouldn't he be a registered SO? And thus barred from being involved in a school?

If he was convicted of rape, shouldn't he be a registered SO? And thus barred from being involved in a school?

That's what I am wondering. I had to do a background check before I could even help out at my daughter's Halloween party!!!

This makes me sick to my stomach. My rapist (all though never convicted, as I didn't tell anyone until years later) is now a police officer.

OMG! :eek:

i'm so sorry for you Masterj. :(

background checks vary from state to state. what rules for making some1 register vary from state to state. we have the dept of education and test on the federal level to make sure our children can read but each state has its own set of rules when it comes to who can or can not be around kids. some states say it must be a child under a certain age or it must be second offence or it must have happened after they wrote their SO laws.

In most states, members of the school board CAN be convicted sex offenders because there are no laws barring them from it. Sex offenders CANNOT teach or otherwise work IN a school. Because BOE members are not always paid, they are not considered to be "working." Also most of the meetings are held at the school district offices, not a school.
The loophole in the law(s) of most areas is that most of the law(s) state sex offenders cannot live w/i so many yards/feet/miles of a school, but it say nothing about being on school property (for plays, concerts, etc. . .).

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Starlight86
Back