1234 users online (269 members and 965 guests)  

Websleuths News

Source of Major Earthquakes Discovered Beneath U.S. Heartland

http://reference.aol.com/article/_a/...03140909990001

My friends laughed at me for getting earthquake insurance on my house in Louisiana after the December 26, 2004 tsunami. The lady that answered the phone for my insurance company was like..."you live in a very low-risk area...." It was only an extra $30 per year. Glad to spend that 30 bucks!

I wonder if the insurance companies will now require everyone in that area to carry the insurance. And what outlandish rate will they come up with?

BB,if they only charge 30 bucks a year for Earthquake Insurance in Louisiana,they'll probably only charge us just 3 bucks a year here in South Forida lol

I heard about this fault line years ago. I bet easily 10 years ago if not more. My family lives in st louis and down following the fault line. Im surprised they are mentioning it as being new news.

Living here in EQ territory most of us have EQ insurance. It is not as costly as you might think. However, the coverage isn't as great as you might hope.

You would be....maybe not........I was surprised what it includes....."ground movement that causes foundation damage." NOT AN EXACT QUOTE..... but from my holey memory....

My house is pier and beam construction....and in the south...."ground movement" is common......sounds like I could be fighting a while over what "ground movement" and "foundation" defines exactly......

I still feel better having the insurance. I can piXX....throw.... $30 away at the drug store any time I walk into one....so I'll skip a trip per year!

When the tsunami happened...my fundamentalist Christian background "rose up" and reminded me that the Bible speaks of "the great earthquake" that will be felt worldwide. Now where could there be such a fault..????

Wellll......one that is bad enough to cause the Mississippi River to flow backwards is bad enough for me! I'll take $30 of earthquake insurance per year......thank you very much!

Quote Originally Posted by JBean View Post
    Living here in EQ territory most of us have EQ insurance. It is not as costly as you might think. However, the coverage isn't as great as you might hope.
    So true. At least here in CA, EQ insurance carries a high deductible so that they don't have to pay for the cracks in stucco and walkways, etc., that occur often with our frequent tiny quakes. And the "replacement value" assigned to your house bears little resemblance to what it would cost to replace it.

Quote Originally Posted by Autumn2004 View Post
    I heard about this fault line years ago. I bet easily 10 years ago if not more. My family lives in st louis and down following the fault line. Im surprised they are mentioning it as being new news.
    If I understand the article, what is new is the discovery of the large "slab" underneath the Mississippi Valley that causes the faults in that area. You are right, of course, they've known about the New Madrid fault for 200 years, so of course they knew faults there are a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Nova View Post
    If I understand the article, what is new is the discovery of the large "slab" underneath the Mississippi Valley that causes the faults in that area. You are right, of course, they've known about the New Madrid fault for 200 years, so of course they knew faults there are a problem.
    Thanks Nova, unfortunately I have over 65 family members in that area and I know it will happen eventually. St louis is not ready for a major earthquake it will be a horrible disaster. I live in an area that has never had much storm activity besides snow storms and some flooding, it makes me realize how fortunate I am.

Quote Originally Posted by Autumn2004 View Post
    Thanks Nova, unfortunately I have over 65 family members in that area and I know it will happen eventually. St louis is not ready for a major earthquake it will be a horrible disaster. I live in an area that has never had much storm activity besides snow storms and some flooding, it makes me realize how fortunate I am.
    Indeed. Seems like it's "something" anywhere you live. Here, of course, we are just a few miles from the San Andreas Fault.

But the very day I moved from New York City to L.A., NYC was hit by a moderate quake. That city is not at all prepared for that sort of disaster.

So maybe no matter where we live, we are fortunate to be living at all. LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by Nova View Post

So maybe no matter where we live, we are fortunate to be living at all. LOL.
    I definitely feel that way. I live in a farming community a 1/2 hour away from one of the most dangerous cities in the united states. I hate it and cant wait to move.